HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

pelvic exams after hysterectomy? pelvic exams after hysterectomy?

Unread 07-29-2008, 06:50 AM
pelvic exams after hysterectomy?

This may sound dumb, but I was wondering if we still need to have annual pelvic exams after hysterectomy? I had a TLH with BSO and have nothing left. No need for a PAP smear if there is no cervix, right? Does anyone know?
Unread 07-29-2008, 07:12 AM

I had a tah/bso and still have yearly Well Woman exams that include a pap test. My dr said that vaginal cancer is rare but can happen.

Each dr is different so you will have to ask yours what his/her recommendation is.

Best wishes.

Unread 07-29-2008, 08:49 AM

My Doc says yes..it's called a vaginal swab..he says once a yr like a pap test..just to be safe..after all I've been through believe me...having a yearly swab not a problem..I don't want to take any chances..I have too much to live for!!
Unread 07-29-2008, 10:17 AM

My Dr wants me to have pap smears for the next 3 years and then every other year or so after that but I will still go in every year for blood work to check hormone levels and brest exams. Those are still important. And since you had BSO you will want the blood work to make sure your HRT or no HRT is working for you.
Unread 07-29-2008, 01:21 PM

I think that the AMA says you don't have to have them every year--paps that is, but most doctors I've heard of will still do the vag. swab anyway. Why not? They have us in for a yearly check up anyway, and still do the pelvic to make sure everything is okay that has been left behind.
May as well;-)
Unread 07-29-2008, 01:47 PM

My aunt had vaginal cancer about 10 years after her hyster. My dr. suggesteddoing the swab at least every 5 years. I'll probably try to see her at least bi-annually just for comfort of mind.

6/24/08 adenomyosis
age 38
Unread 07-29-2008, 02:13 PM

I had a TAH/BSO and when I asked my doctor whether I still needed a pap smear every year, he recommended it especially since I had CIN II. The way I look at it, better to be safe than sorry and will go with his recommendation.
Unread 07-29-2008, 02:28 PM

Like most others have said, there isn't a pap smear but something called a vaginal smear (which, to the patient is the same thing ). Also at your Well Woman Visit, they'll do a breast exam as well as an overall other health check. And just because you don't have ovaries / fallopian tubes / uterus / cervix, you do have OTHER gynecological organs and all of that needs to be checked out.

Stinks, don't it? I was thinking, "Well at least I'll be done with the Get Naked, Get In The Stirrups exams ..." !!

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.