HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. Join us today!

Please tell me about the actual surgery!! Please tell me about the actual surgery!!

Unread 08-05-2001, 06:38 PM
Please tell me about the actual surgery!!

I've surfed this site and read everything. It's wonderful! My date with the King is 9/10/01 and will be a TAH/BSO. Tell me about the gas. Is this just air that passes through the vagina? What did I read about smelling like anesthesia? Is sex going to be the same minus my cervix? Has lack of libido been a problem for anybody and how can it be solved? How many times do I have to visit the king post surgery? Emotions are a huge thing but I want to know EXACTLY what to expect from surgery. Please help me.
Unread 08-05-2001, 07:00 PM
Welcome!

Yes, this site is wonderful. If you've read everything, then you should have some idea of what to expect.

The question was an interesting one. The gas, based upon my experience, passed through my anus , and yes, it was air.

At 7 weeks post op, the sex is the same without the cervix for me.

As far as libido, every woman is different. I was also concerned about that prior to surgery. I am a little embarrassed to say, but I thought about sex the day following my surgery! I did not want to have intercourse--mind you, but I was really admiring my DH's behind . So, needless to say, I was ecstatic with that revelation while I was in the CASTLE experiencing pain....I do not know how to solve it if you do have a problem. I would suggest that you visit the Hormone Jungle.

I had to visit the dr several days after my surgery because I had some complications. However, other ladies have had no problems and normally see the dr once at 4 weeks post op. Some have had appts. sooner like at 2 weeks and some later at 6 weeks. This is something that your dr will explain possibly
before surgery.

It will be helpful to decide before surgery where you will sleep when you return from the castle, who will do the housework, and when you will return to work.

I hope that your visit to the castle will be a good one!
Unread 08-05-2001, 07:00 PM

hi,
i read your post and can feel your anxiety. i was very anxious and cried on the way to the hospital and in pre-op. everyone was very nice to me and quickly gave me a shot of something that sent me off to sleep fast. my hospital stay was uneventful. i woke up a couple of hours after the surgery and had a push button pain control thing hooked into my iv. the pain wasnt unbearable for me. the next morning i was taking pain meds by mouth, percoset every 4-5 hours. i stayed in the hospital 2 nites.
i have had some epsiodes of hot flashing due to ovarian shock but it has been bearable for me and has subsided.

thankfully for me i had no major problems. my surgery was july 24-ieveryday it gets better and better but im still tired all the time. sorry i cant help with the other questions.

hope this helps in some way

linda

tah july 24, 2001 BIG fibroids
Unread 08-05-2001, 07:44 PM

You'll see two kinds of "gas pains" discussed.

The most common is just what you'd normally think of with gas pains - ouchy intestinal gas - except since your innards are a little extra-sensitive it can be quite painful. I usually compare it to whacking your shin on a table - sharp, sudden pain that lasts just a short while. There's nothing to do for it but grab ahold of the nearest doorframe and cuss. Taking GasX can help, too.

The other kind of "gas pain" is from the little bit of C02 that can be leftover after a laparoscopy (they "inflate" your belly with it, so they can see what they are doing). It's inert and harmless, but just a few bubbles of it in the right place (like up against your diaphragm) can cause pain in wierd places - it might feel like you sprained your shoulder. Some women, who haven't been warned, mistake it for a heart attack. I've heard (about 50/50) that you should lie very still, or get up and walk around, to make it go away. I did have a laparoscopy (pre-hyst), and had no pain from that - so it isn't inevitable.

But the one most women mean is just your average "gas" kind of gas.

Search for "cervix", and you find tons of posts about that. Mine's gone, and good riddance. Don't miss it for a moment.
Unread 08-05-2001, 08:13 PM

Thank you for the replies. I was wondering about the gas because I can't understand why there is going to be air in the bowels. The doctor will be removing female parts so I'm not understanding this whole gas thing....and how it gets there. At any rate, all of your answers and posts have been most helpful. I'll keep looking for answers in the hormone jungle...etc. I'm not much of an internet junkie but this site has captivated me since I logged on an hour after my doctor scheduled my surgery.
Unread 08-05-2001, 09:04 PM

I had regular "gas" gas in the 1st week following surgery and it was way more painful than gas has ever been....and also when I "pushed" it hurt, also (Don't mean to sound gross but no other way to say it! :-) Deb
Unread 08-05-2001, 09:35 PM
Regarding my surgery...

I had hysterectomy and single oophectomy last summer. My experience was great. I was extremely nervous. All I remember about the gas was to try and pass it as soon as you can (or it builds up in your tummy). It's not easy but keep trying (as unladylike as that sounds). REgarding sex, no problems. Of course I kept an ovary so my estogen level was actually better after I got the defective one out. My friend had hysterectomy and bi-lateral oophectomy with ERT. She too has said no problem.
I really thought I would have a tough time emotionally (I was 31) but it actually has turned out great!

Good luck.
Unread 08-05-2001, 10:25 PM

Linda- you crack me up!!!
  Quote:
There's nothing to do for it but grab ahold of the nearest doorframe and cuss.
Been there, done that. I think I'm in a giggly mood tonight but that just cracked me up.

Oh and about the gas- I'm not sure but I think that is has to do with moving or messing around with the bowels or the area they are in/etc. all I know is I had gas bad after my c-sections too- and that's only messing with the uterus- ya know? But the bowels are there. Also I was told by my dr that the bowels take the space of where the uterus was (above the vaginal cuff or cervix if it was left) so that's meaning they are moving to take that space up. Somehow messing with them or around them or them moving to take that space makes them have gas in them.. who knows.

Someone also said to avoid gassy foods, sipping through straws, etc to avoid getting gas because it IS harder to pass gas after the surgery than it is normally- know what I mean? I mean it hurts that "area" that you have just been messed with to have the surgery- so I guess that's why it hurts.
Unread 08-06-2001, 03:04 PM

I am guessing, so don't take this as gospel truth, but the gas in your intestines may build up because while you are anesthetised (for surgery) and even for a while following surgery, your intestines are non-functioning. Even after they are working properly again, I believe that the normal gas that we'd pass without much thought causes us much greater pain due to the fact that your intestines were moved around during surgery and are probably a bit bruised (or at least very tender). Just my theory...something to consider. :-)
Unread 08-07-2001, 03:29 AM
It's a Mystery to Me!

The non-functioning intestines is as good a theory as any. I'm pretty sure I've got more gas now than before my surgery, tho at six weeks it's not painful now. Where is it coming from??? I'm still watching what I eat, no sodas, no gasy veggies, I gave away ALL my cans of beans!! I'm scared of them! And someone mentioned apples as a no-no? Is this true? I haven't eaten any since I reak that. Oh well, I can now scare the cats!! They look around like there are space aliens in the house.

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.