HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   HysterSisters Hysterectomy > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. Join us today!

Post Ablation Syndrome Post Ablation Syndrome

Unread 08-01-2008, 09:22 AM
Post Ablation Syndrome

I just went to the doctor yesterday because of a number of symptoms I am having. I had my last child almost 5 years ago and had several compliations. The biggest complications was, I had complete placenta accreta. This is where the placenta attaches itself to the uterus. The doctor forwarned me that I could lose my uterus because of this and I was fine with it. Instead the doctors saved my uterus and thats when all my problems started.
I had a very heavy cycle and it would not shut off for the life of me. I was given an D&C because there was a lot of leftover placenta still attached to my uterus. That did not work and my period came back with a vengeance. The doctors tried birth control but that only made my period even madder than what it was. So my last resort was to have an ballon oblation done. The doctor told me that this would shut my period off and it would return to normally in a year. WRONG!!!
Here it is 5 years later and my cycle only lasts a couple of hours. Along with a constant yeast infection, abdominal pain, and painful sex. As the years went by these problems have gotten progressivley worse and noone has been able to tell me what is going on with my body. Finally yesterday I went to yet another GYN and she said that I have post ablation syndrome . I finally have a clue what is going on with me!
My last resort now is to have a hysterectomy to help me with all my symptoms. I am very scared because I can not find any information on post ablation syndrome. My GYN is the first person to actually sit down, listen and talk and give me a very good answer to what is going on with my body. Can someone please suggest or point me in the right direction about post ablation syndrome and help with trying decide on a good decision.

Sorry for such a long message
Unread 08-01-2008, 02:34 PM
Post Ablation Syndrome

I googled that and it's hard to find stuff.

I think this link might help - <>

This was the best I could do from googling, but I'm not a doctor and you really should ask her what she means by that term.

Also - note that the only way to diagnose the conditions in the article is an MRI.
Unread 08-01-2008, 07:41 PM
Post Ablation Syndrome

Hi Mssweetcaramel
A common post-ablation problem is severe cramping pains during the menstrual cycle ~related to the inability of remaining endometrial tissue to be shed because it's either trapped under the scarred ablated lining or in cases when the uterine walls stick together, which can cause painful dilatation and inflammation inside the uterus.
My ablation helped my bleeding, but my cramps became very extreme - like labor pains. My GYN found adenomyosis when he did a myomectomy along with my ablation, so we knew that was what was going on with me and the reason why my ablation failed.

I have not heard of a connection between yeast infections and endometrial ablation, or painful intercourse due to ablation. I am glad your doctor is trying to help you get things figured out. Perhaps s/he could provide some help with resources that mention this. I did have painful relations, but mine was related to severe adhesions & stage IV endometriosis.

A second opinion is a good idea any time major medical decisions are being made. The more you learn about your options the better prepared you'll be for making a decision.
Perhaps a diagnostic laparoscopy might be something to ask your GYN about also. If you haven't already, be sure to consult with your primary care physician too, since abdominal pain can be related to a multitude of things. You wouldn't want to go through all the pain, risks & recovery of a hyst and still have the abdominal pain.

Good luck with your decisions. I hope they find a way to help you feel better.

Gentle s
Unread 08-02-2008, 11:12 AM
Ablation is not all that it said to be

I am sorry that you are having problems after ablation. I was one of the women that ablation did not work all that great for. I searched everywhere on the internet, saw three doctors and they all believe I have adenomyosis. From what I read, if you have this ablation can make it worse. I believe that everything is connected in ways doctors can not explain. Yeast infections can be caused by so many things and I think everything could very well be off for you.
I am glad that you found a doctor to listen and should find a second one to give you the same opinion. It has taken me a long time to decide to finally have a hysterectomy, but I am glad I am finally at this point.
Good luck with your journey.
Unread 01-15-2009, 09:35 AM
Post Ablation Syndrome

Hi, I just read your note from August of 2008...just curious if you ended up with the Hysterectomy and if not, how are your symptons now? I am struggling with the decision of having a balloon ablation and not sure if it's the right thing for my body. I'm half considering just going straight for having out my uterus. Not a lot of problems, just the worst cycles since I had children. Any news, advice, etc would be much appreciated! Thank you!
Unread 01-19-2009, 08:53 AM
Post Ablation Syndrome

I did have the hysterectomy. I can say it was the best decision I made. The problems I were having have completely gone away. My sex drive is WAY UP, lol!!! The most important things is that I am not having bad periods anymore or the yeast infections. If you are not going to have anymore kids, I would recommend doing it. Make sure you are in a supportive realtionship and talk it over with your spouse and go from there. I had my surgery on 7 October and things are going pretty well for me. I have anymore checkup at the end of February. Good luck.
Unread 03-04-2010, 10:58 AM
Re: Post Ablation Syndrome

Hi Alf and Mssweet,

I'm wondering how the two of you are doing. I am preggo with our fifth child - have undergone 4 previous c-sections and now have placenta accreta/possible increta. Baby is due July 2 but will deliver hopefully not before early June (36 weeks is as long as they will let me go). I've found it really hard to connect with women on this sensitive (and rare) condition. I just signed up with the hystersisters last night. Any info that either of you could provide would be most helpful. I am currently scheduled for a c-section/hyster. I am hoping to stay awake for all of it so I am able to be with my baby and other children as soon as possible. We lost our first baby to an unexplained stillbirth at 40 weeks, 3 days ... the last few weeks are so very difficult as it is. This just adds one more thing to the pile. Thankfully I was diagnosed at my 18 week US so my doctors will be as prepared as possible. Aside from my very genuine fear of losing our baby, my very worst fear (not sure now rational it is) is that my children will lose their mommy. They are all newly turned 7, 5 & 3. : (

Help! : (

Best wishes .. I hope you both are doing well.

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.