HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

tummy muscle spasms tummy muscle spasms

Unread 08-02-2008, 10:01 AM
tummy muscle spasms

so this morning I wake up and my tummy muscles were way tight, then relaxed then tightened again over and over. ugh is this normal. I don't wanna page my surgeon for this cause I don't think it warrants that but does or did anyone else feel this? and I have read about the tugging feeling I have not to worried about that, and the burning, I guess thats cool too. just worried that the muscle spasms will tear my inner sutures. ugh. I had a TAH/BSO on july 17th this year.
hugs chris
Unread 08-02-2008, 10:08 AM
tummy muscle spasms

I have experienced those spasms. I could actually look down and see my tummy bouncing a bit because of it. I also experienced more intense ones that startled me, I could actuall feel the spasm happening. Like pulling on a rubber band and letting go of it. They were a little more involved and made me make faces and jump a little. But Dr. said it is the muscles having a fit basically after surgery from them being stretched and pulled. It will get better, mine stopped after three days.
Unread 08-02-2008, 10:35 AM
tummy muscle spasms

I've had a wide variety of twitches, spasms, aches, and cramps. Since they only last a short while, I'm not too worried about them. I figure the muscles, nerves, blood vessels, etc have to re-network there will be a variety of unusual sensations. If something continues for several, that's when I call the doctor. (my symptoms haven't been really bad - if they were, I'd be calling the doctor IMMEDIATELY).

Even though I had an LAVH and don't have external scars, my innerds were cut up just like if I'd had an abdominal hyst. So while my spasms, etc aren't what I'd expect if I had an abdominal, I expect to have them to a lesser degree.
Unread 08-02-2008, 10:58 AM
tummy muscle spasms

I had severe spasms all the way across my abs the day of surgery until a few days after. It was the worst part, IMO. I would lock up and couldn't breath. Unfortunately, if someone even lightly touched my abdomen or brushed the covers over it, I would lock up. I finally would start pressing down lightly on each side when anyone was going to do anything which seemed to prevent the spasm.

I did have to have a lot of potassium put back in my IV and after that, I stopped having them.

A few days ago, I overdid it and was sore....sure enough, the muscle spasms came back (and I am TAH -Jul 18th so very close to yours). I mentioned it to the nurse practitioner and she said the same thing about the muscles being "stressed"...but advised getting some potassium. So, I have been chomping on bananas.
Unread 08-02-2008, 11:16 AM
tummy muscle spasms

cool glad I am not alone here. I love bananas will have to get some. I have been having odd cravings too, like V8 juice and chocolate together ewww I know.
but it sure sounds good to me. lol. must be something my body wants so I indulge it.
huggles and thank you sisters. chris

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.