HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. Join us today!

How long does it take for estradiol to be effective? How long does it take for estradiol to be effective?

Unread 08-02-2008, 12:16 PM
How long does it take for estradiol to be effective?

i have a question i've been on estraidol for 5 days now does anyone know how long it takes to work because the hot flashes at night are killing me. my insomnia is worse and the pain on my right side is still there, i feel like i'm completely losing it.
Unread 08-02-2008, 12:28 PM

Hi!

I'm sorry that you're having such bad hot flashes. They sure can be miserable!

Early in recovery it's normal to experience symptoms even when using hormone therapy. Your body is depleting the hormones made by your ovaries, recovering from major surgery and adapting to a new hormone source. You may want to keep a journal of your symptoms to show how you do over a period of time. If things stay the same or get worse, let your doctor know so that your dose can be adjusted. You don't want to adjust the dose too frequently as that can cause more fluctuations. Give each change at least a couple of weeks to work before making another change.

Have you had a chance to look through the Post-Op articles? There are some good ones in there to help get you through recovery--even one about insomnia! Here's a link to the articles: Post-Op Articles.

Best wishes as you continue to heal!

s
Unread 08-02-2008, 01:21 PM

I have been on the Vivelle Dot (estradiol) since Monday and while my 3 day migraine has gone I am still having hot flashes. I had to go in to my doctor's office for another surgery related issue and mentioned this to my nurse practitioner who said to (for the interim) use two patches simultaneously and they would test my estrogen levels in 2 weeks. She had my levels tested while I was there to get an idea of where I am now as compared to 2 weeks from now. She said everyone is different and we all require different hormone levels so they need to be checked until you are feeling great again. Check with your doctor to see what she/he suggests. I am not suggesting you up your dosage without your doctor's approval (I wouldn't ever do that) but giving them a call would be a great idea.
Unread 08-02-2008, 04:24 PM

HI, april dawn and purplehorse i just wanted to say thanks for the advice and the link info. my md didn't even give me a followup appt for the hormones, so i'm going to definitly call on monday to see what he tells me. could the migrains be related? i've always suffered from them and have had them for most of my life that i'm kind a use to just having a headache and the pills haven't helped with that either. hmmm... don't mind me i'm just babbling, i'll ask about that on monday too. anywho thanks again
Unread 08-02-2008, 05:02 PM

You're not babbling! I used to get awful headaches before my surgery. The only time I get that kind now is when my estrogen levels are too low so yes, it's possible that your migraines could be related. There are a lot of symptoms we can experience when our hormones are out of balance. This link has a lot of the common ones: Too Much/Too Little.

Definitely ask your doctor about that on Monday. You might want to jot down all of your questions if you haven't already so you don't forget everything you want to ask.

s
Unread 08-02-2008, 05:10 PM

Tinkd, I've been on estrodial about 7 days now. I, too, have headaches and insomnia. I didn't know if it was related to the Estrodial or perhaps the Celexa that I've also been prescibed. What time of the day do you take the Estrodial? I have been taking it in the a.m. and the Celexa in the p.m. I can't fall asleep, my restless leg syndrom has been at an all time high, and it's driving me crazy. I tried the patch, but it didn't adhere nicely and I'm a bath person, so it was a problem. The pills were so cheap at Walmart I couldn't resist that option. I feel ok, no hot flashes, just headaches at times, but like you, I've had headaches most of my adult life Hate it. Anyway, let me know how you're doing, seems like we have a bit in common. Take care and good luck!
Unread 08-02-2008, 10:59 PM

I have been taking Estridiol 1mg. for the past 5 weeks with no problems. The nurse told me to take it about 1 hour before I go to bed at night so that I will sleep better and not get night sweats, etc. This has worked for me. Wishing you well.
Unread 08-03-2008, 03:45 PM

hey ladies... last night was the worst for me i had a superdooper headache,the hot flashes , and pain :-( didn't fall asleep til bout 6am. boo it does seem like we do have pains in common, hey maybe we should both try taking the pill at night like kjdc, and lets see what happens. and yes i have a long list of questions for my doc 2moro. take care ladies

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.

Summer Fun Giveaway