HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

HELP with percocet HELP with percocet

Unread 08-05-2008, 05:31 PM
HELP with percocet

i had my surgery on July 22nd and came home with 30 pills and asked for another script on the 28th. those are almost gone. i tried getting off of them yesterday because i don't like the way they make me feel.

i think i've become addicted to them already. today i had nausea, instestinal pains, and the runs, and a headache. I feel AWEFUL! I think it may be withdrawal.
Unread 08-05-2008, 05:40 PM
HELP with percocet

I am not an expert on addiction, but those sound like symptoms from the pain meds them selves. Do you eat something when you take them ? If you eat something it will help with the naseau, the intestinal pain could just be gas pains and the headache could be a side affect from the pills, but I am not sure about the runs, most of the stronger pain meds make you constipated. JUST MY OPINION!! Hope you feel better soon.
Unread 08-05-2008, 05:48 PM
HELP with percocet

Also not an addiction expert- but when I took Percocet it was constipating and I switched to Alleve with Motrin in between if the pain was bad to make that go away because that pressure was making be nauseous. The headaches could be hormonal and the other symptoms sound like what I had at your stage of the game. I would definitely call the doctor and tell them your concerns. Better to be safe than sorry if you think you are dependent on them. Good luck and prayers for relief soon
Unread 08-05-2008, 06:16 PM
HELP with percocet

Hi wllcaf

i am no expert either. my surgery was a day before yours on 7/21. i went thru 2 prescriptions of percocets too (well there's 3 or 4 left in the 2nd set). i don't know if you can become addicted that quickly. a lot of people have side-effects from percocets and can't take them. if you google percocet side effects it might list those symptoms you shared.

i was finally able survive on just tylenol yesterday for the 1st time since surgery.

i hope you feel better soon and maybe check into seeing if just tylenol will work.
Unread 08-05-2008, 06:43 PM
HELP with percocet

thanks so much everyone! i didn't think you could get addicted that quickly either, but i didn't know what else it could be since i stopped taking the percocet yesterday morning. its the only thing i did different. The pain is getting better day by day but after 2 weeks i thought i'd be feeling better than this.

Thank you for the input, it puts my mind at ease. I see the doctor tomorrow for my 2 week check up. so, i'll ask then.

the doc told me 1 to 2 weeks recovery. there is no way i'm ready to go back to work in the next few days. Thats just CRAZY!
Unread 08-05-2008, 06:58 PM
HELP with percocet

my doctor had me do 3 advil (600 mg) as a first line of defense and percocet for any breakthrough pain on top of that. It really worked well for me and I took only 1 to 2 percs in a day post op the first week. I have been off advil and percocet for nearly a week now and my surgery was 7/21.

Jen
Unread 08-05-2008, 07:19 PM
HELP with percocet

2 weeks recovery??? Really?? What kind of surgery did you have? I don't even think that's enough for a Vaginal or Laproscopic surgery. Isnt' it usually 4 weeks?

Anyway - I had a TAH on July 22nd. I felt HORRIBLE all weekend ... I was out of pain meds and was worried about what to do. I saw my doc today and he gave me more and said to take them when I need them. Luckily at this point it's usually only be the end of the day.

I wanted to tell you though - that I too feel like crap. Headaches, moody, etc... I think it's just a side effect of the surgery and not addiciton or withdrawals from pain meds. I had to take pain meds for kindey stones and took those a LOT longer and never got addicted or felt this way. I feel kind of sick, you know? Like under the weather.

Our bodies have been through a LOT! We had a major organ(s) removed! I really think how you are feeling is normal and you've nothing to worry about.
Good luck with your doctor's visit. Hopefully he/she can make you feel better and offer some guidance.(((HUGS)))
Unread 08-05-2008, 07:29 PM
HELP with percocet

Quote:
Originally Posted by wllccaf
thanks so much everyone! i didn't think you could get addicted that quickly either, but i didn't know what else it could be since i stopped taking the percocet yesterday morning. its the only thing i did different. The pain is getting better day by day but after 2 weeks i thought i'd be feeling better than this.

Thank you for the input, it puts my mind at ease. I see the doctor tomorrow for my 2 week check up. so, i'll ask then.

the doc told me 1 to 2 weeks recovery. there is no way i'm ready to go back to work in the next few days. Thats just CRAZY!
Hey there wllccaf

I am about 7 months post-op (TAH). My told me that I would be off for 6 weeks. I remember thinking 3 weeks recovery and 3 weeks vacation. Uuuumm, that is not how it worked out. It's hard to say when we are supposed to feel better, but I can tell you that it does get better.

Talking to the about your concerns is the best thing to do. And be sure to mention that you don't think you are ready to go back to work.

Let us know how it works out.

Blessings on you ....
Unread 08-05-2008, 08:06 PM
HELP with percocet

I had a LSH. Yeah, do you believe he told me 2 weeks? Luckily my employer is allowing me to work from home, so i'm not going back until they make me.

I took 1 1/2 percocet about an hour ago and feeling much better. I think i just wasn't on top of the pain meds. i ran out of motrin this morning. and its probably everything thing else too, like all you have said.

I'm really thankful for all the support on here. Thank you everyone I'm feeling much better about everything now. I'll let you know how the appt goes tomorrow
Unread 08-05-2008, 09:21 PM
HELP with percocet

Wllccaf- I also had a LSH. I am at 5 1/2 weeks and doing well. I still get tired when I overdo it and really sick and shaky if I think I am superwoman. But all in all its good. After 3 weeks I felt remarkedly better. I was released to drive at 2 weeks, and sex at 3 but did only what I felt like was good for me and when it felt OK. Hope you feell better soon and that your appt goes well. Take care.

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.