HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

No cervix, why HPV test??? No cervix, why HPV test???

Unread 08-05-2008, 10:02 PM
No cervix, why HPV test???

I am so confused. I had a complete hysto 2 years ago. I had stage A1a ovarian cancer. Every 3 months I have a pap and up until my last one everything was fine. Last month my dr calls and said I have to come in for another pap because their weren't enough cells to perform the pap. ok, so I go back for another pap and now there is blood in the sample and the dr's office calls and says can I go back in for an HPV test. I don't know what is going on......anyone have this happen after hysto?? Please any info will help....I just don't even know what to ask the dr at this point.
Unread 08-06-2008, 09:55 AM

Hi Tedy.

After the hyst (with cervix removed) the doctor actually does a vault smear, not a pap smear. The doctor swabs the vaginal cuff.

I'm finding that many doctors are now asking if female patients over 30 want the HPV test when they go for their annual exam. The reason for this is women over 30 have a more difficult time fighting the virus.

High risk HPV can lead to dyslasia (and later cancer if undetected and untreated), not just of the cervix. It can lead to cancer of the: cervix, vagina, vulva, anus, penis, mouth/throat, and (I think) uterus.

I hope that helps a bit.
Unread 08-06-2008, 02:19 PM

Hi Peaceful Storm...thank you for answering my post...and yes your info does make me feel better. I'm just so tired of test after test and dr's in general that I was feeling way too anxious. I see you had your surgery not that long ago, how are you doing?
Unread 08-06-2008, 03:42 PM

My dr stated that ONLY because there was no cancer risk of the cervix when he removed it, I never had an abnormal pap, I would not need one anymore. BUT-people who had cancer concerns, like yourself, would need to continue as usual even if the cervix is removed. Not sure why. Just thought I would share that.
Unread 08-06-2008, 04:49 PM

You're welcome Tedy! I'm glad I could help.

Gottago, I always had my annual paps and they always came back fine. The only reason my doc and I knew anything was wrong was because my first HPV/dna test came back high risk HPV. She sent me to a gyn for a colposcopy, possible biopsy, and possible ECC (endocervical curettage). The colposcopy looked "so good" my doctor didn't need to take any biopsies of my exocervix. "Just to check" (quotes are what my gyn said) she did the ECC. It came back adenocarcinoma in situ. Then I went for a cone bipsy which came back adenocarcinoma stage Ia1. From there I was scheduled for my hyst (uterus and cervix only) as my only needed treatment for the cancer.

HPV can cause cancer: cervical, vaginal, vulvar, anal, penile, oral, and I think uterine. So that means if one is positive for high risk HPV, even if that body part is removed, there are other parts that could be at risk.

Since I had cancer (I'm using past tense intentionally, the doc is convinced she got it all) I go for checkups ever 3 months for 1-2 years, then ever 4 months for 1-2 years, then ever 6 months for 5 years. Hopefully all of those will come back without any problems.

I highly recommend every woman continue getting vault smears even after getting a hyst. It is likely they won't need to do them every year, but I would think no less frequently than every 2-3 years.

:twocents:
Unread 08-06-2008, 07:55 PM

wow! That is unnerving about the HPV test. Is that test a smear type test? what would make someone High Risk for HPV if the test is negative? I know this HPV is the new buzzword it seems. But I don't really know much about it. Is there other cervical cancer NOT caused by HPV?
Unread 08-06-2008, 08:38 PM

Yes, the HPV/dna test is done at the same time as the pap/vault smear. The doctor uses another swab and puts it into a different vial/case.

I don't understand your question: what would make someone High Risk for HPV if the test is negative? I'm not sure if you are asking what makes someone at risk for HPV or if you are asking about High Risk HPV.

There are over 100 strains of HPV. More than 20 of those affect the gentials (including anus, oral, throat). Those strains are divided into two types: High Risk and Low Risk. Low risk HPV can cause genital warts. High risk HPV can lead to cancer if it is undetected and/or untreated.

I believe less than 1% of cervical cancer is not related to HPV. I *think* it is called clear-cell, but I'm not positive.

HPV is transmitted by skin to skin contact. Condoms give a little, but not complete protection. Something like 80% of women over 50 have been exposed to HPV at some point in their lives. From what I've read, if someone has sexual contact with more than one person, then he/she has likely been exposed to HPV.

There is no HPV test for me.

It is an evil virus!
Unread 08-07-2008, 07:17 AM

HELLO. My dr. said get one done every 5 years. I had a complete hyst.
Unread 08-07-2008, 07:28 AM

Hello, sisters,

I'm chiming in on this one.

Peaceful Storm's comments are well worth listening to. If you had a hyst, even without cancer involved, it's worthwhile to have a smear done every year, EVEN IF you had no abnormal paps prior to your hyst.

The high risk HPV viruses can develop problems for you at any time. My doctor now says that roughly 90% (it used to be claimed to be 80%) of the adult, sexually active (one time constitutes sexually active) population has at least one of the HPV viruses.

The tests are inexpensive, relatively painless (compared to surgery), and easy to get. My two cents? I'd worry about a doctor that didn't want a patient to get this testing done, unless the patient is about 70 years old and has been in a monogamous or no relationship for a long, long time. It costs the medical industry a miniscule amount compared to the costs of surgery and adjuvant therapy.

HPV is rampant. It's important to get yourself checked for it. The viruses can become active at any time, particularly as one ages.

Knowledge is power, and in our case, it might mean life itself, if we are informed and timely in our testing.
Unread 08-07-2008, 08:56 AM

wow so much information...thank you all for your responses....one more question ...wouldn't my dr have checked for hpv when I had my surgery for ovarian cancer and know if I was low risk or high risk HPV?

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.