More frequent yeast infections after hysterectomy | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

More frequent yeast infections after hysterectomy More frequent yeast infections after hysterectomy

Unread 08-06-2008, 06:31 PM
More frequent yeast infections after hysterectomy

I Need To Know If Anyone Else Has Had More Yeast Infections Since Surgery? I Am Six Months Out But Since Then I Have Had Infection Once Or Twice A Month. I Have Tried And Took Everything I Know. Please Any Info Would Be Great. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-06-2008, 06:38 PM

i had a problem with yeast infections..my dr put me on diflucan for 6 months. i had tried over the counter and diflucan for short times and they only came back. if i remember right, i took one pill every couple days for 3 doses and then one a week for 6 months. you need to see your dr and talk to him about what to do next. also, you might want to have your sugar tested if you havent already. good luck.
Unread 08-06-2008, 06:45 PM

Thanks, I Take The Diflucan Too. I Take It One Pill A Day For 3 Days. Then I Am Okay Then 3 To 4 Weeks Later It Is Back. I Will Take To Him About Once A Week. Thanks Again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-06-2008, 06:53 PM

I've had the same problem for the past 6 months or so too!! And since the past couple months the symptoms have been different (instead of the typical discharge, it's pain during sex and urination) hard to pinpoint. I'm trying the actual OTC stuff in lieu of Diflucan this time....but I have a call in to the dr. to see about taking it again for an extended amount of time... It's so frustrating.
Unread 08-09-2008, 06:16 AM

Don't know whether you still have ovaries but lack of oestrogen can cause this condition.
Unread 08-09-2008, 07:39 AM

I had 7 yeast infections within 8 months after my surgery. I was so frustrated. What finally got rid of it was several doses of Diflucan. One dose did not work. I have been yeast free since Nov of 07 now.
Unread 08-09-2008, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caa00
I've had the same problem for the past 6 months or so too!! And since the past couple months the symptoms have been different (instead of the typical discharge, it's pain during sex and urination) hard to pinpoint. I'm trying the actual OTC stuff in lieu of Diflucan this time....but I have a call in to the dr. to see about taking it again for an extended amount of time... It's so frustrating.
When I had extreme pain with urination it turned out I had a vaginal bacterial infection. Lot of the same symptoms but treated with antibiotics. I have had several since. The doctor doesn't know why. Just says some women have them more than others. She did say sometimes treating what you think is a yeast infection can cause a bacterial infection. And a week after my surgery I was treated for yeast without a test to prove that it was a yeast infection. After my 6 week check I was tested and it was bacterial. Same thing happened a month ago I treated myself with OTC but ended up at the doctor to find out bacteria again.

Like mountainwoman2 said, I have also heard low estrogen can cause both the yeast and bacterial infections. But for me we are pretty sure that is not the problem as I use vivelle dot .1 and vagifem.
Just sharing my experiences. Hope someone comes along with an answer.
Unread 08-09-2008, 07:56 AM

I do still have my ovaries...but they might be taking early retirement or a vacation (I've heard after surgery they may not function quite as well, and also going off the pill for me might've caused complications). I can't take any hormones (history of cancer), but if that's what is causing it that'd just be nice to know too... I'm taking several doses of Diflucan and had a pap smear a week ago, so hopefully the results of that would show yeast, infection, etc.? I had a urinanalysis done not to long ago too. It's frustrating!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register