HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Pelvic Floor and Bladder Issues

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. Join us today!

Tailbone pain after rectocele repair Tailbone pain after rectocele repair

Unread 08-07-2008, 06:22 PM
Tailbone pain after rectocele repair

I had my rectocele repair on May 15 and am 12 weeks post op today! Things were very bad for the first 3-4 weeks. Had several complications and a lot of pain. Complained about the rectal/tailbone area pain to my surgeon the day after my surgery and she said it was from my tailbone due to my position during surgery. Well I was in so much pain at the time, I couldn't really pinpoint where it was all coming from. But now 12 wks later, I am doing well, but very very sore from my tailbone down my left leg especially after I sit or lay down for a while. The more I move around the better. And it seems to be getting worse not better.

Both my post op visits have been positive, Dr. happy with my healing and the results. Haven't seen her since a month ago. But I feel like I have "something there" in the front of my vagina close to the opening. I did have a lot of exterior repair done and a skin flap removed in the front where this "something there" feeling is (I know there is a technical name for that but can't remember) Also, I have had 3 miserable periods since my surgery with a lot of tissue swelling and pain each time. Dreading the next one next week.

Sex isn't going great yet. Still hurts but getting better each time we try, wondering if i will ever like it again...

Feeling needy, any advice?
Unread 08-07-2008, 06:34 PM

Sue,
I had rectocele repair without hyst. in February. Yeah, tailbone pain lasted quite a while and I too have the "something there," but it beats all the other internal problems pre op. Periods are still pretty rotten, but not as painful as the first few months. I'd say my experience was pretty similar to yours, and since your doctor is happy with your progress, I wouldn't worry. It helped me to hear (someone here said it) that the pain and recovery waxes and wanes for about 6 months. I tried to think of my progress week-to-week instead of day-to-day
I would say I am 98 percent recovered, but I still don't lift much more than about 20 lbs. and I have a 4 and 6 year old. I am just hoping not to have any further prolapse and I hope you too are taking it easy. I am back on the boards for reasons other than rectocele. But honestly, I don't think I'll ever be exactly the same as I was pre rectocele/birth of my children.
Good luck and again - don't lift.
Cbeth.
Unread 08-07-2008, 06:44 PM

Thanks Beth, that does help. Trying not to lift but probably am lifting more than I should when I am not consciously thinking about it. I will be more aware and more careful. Best to you...

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.