HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Separate Surgeries

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

pain in left ovary after surgery 11 months post op pain in left ovary after surgery 11 months post op

Unread 08-11-2008, 05:55 PM
pain in left ovary after surgery 11 months post op

hey everyone i thought i posted this earlier but apparently it did not go through. i had a partial hysterectomy 11 months ago. I am now having severe pain in what i think is my left ovary. Is this normal? I had been doing so well but all of a sudden for the last 3 or 4 weeks am in pain. It does not help that I was also diagnosed with migraines in March but that really has nothing to do with the ovary pain. Any help would be great. Lisa
Unread 08-11-2008, 07:35 PM
hi

Hi,
It sounds like it may be an ovarian cyst. That is what strated me on my "journey", they are very painful, mine was huge & inside the tube. Could also be adhesions. Have you called your doctor? That is the best place to start. A simply ultrasound will show if you have a cyst, it will NOT show adhesions, but it will rule out a cyst.
Good Luck, hope it is just & cyst & it will resolve itself, but call your dr.
Unread 08-11-2008, 07:53 PM

Thanks for the reply. I did have a couple ultrasounds a few years ago before my hysterectomy i think for cysts and they came back normal. My doc did not know waht to tell me. He finally sent me to a great gynecologist and she was able to help out. That is how I ended up with the partial hysterectomy. It was going great until the last month when the pain started again!! Lisa
Unread 08-11-2008, 08:48 PM

I had TAH 1 year ago this Friday and I am still having "ovary" pain. For the last 4 months my GYN has had me on BCP but due to migraines I have had to stop them. The BCP did stop the ovulation pain but I found that I was starting to have pain (mostly on the right side) most days. Sometimes it is quite uncomfortable and other times it is just a dull ache. I go back to my GYN this Friday and we will have to start this process of elimination again. He is reluctant to take out my ovaries as he doesn't want to put me into menopause at 42. I agree with him but I don't want to put up with this pain for the next 10 years or so. As most of my pain is on the right, I am going to discuss removing just the right ovary. But firstly I would like a CT or MRI or LAP done first to rule out anything else. There is something up with my right side - previously had my right kidney and appendix removed and I am having a bit of trouble with my gall bladder. I have had a couple of small cysts in the last year but they have resolved themselves.

Good luck and I hope you can get to the bottom of this issue quicker than I am.
Unread 08-15-2008, 01:15 AM

I do believe your pain sounds like a cyst since you had a partial hyster. But, I cant tell you that even with a TAH/BSO I have pain in what feels like my right ovary yet my ovary is gone. I have had scans to check for cancer recurrence and nothing is there. But, I still have pain. I think adhesions may be to blame. It is always a good idea to ask for an ultrasound to check your ovaries if your pain persists. Good luck to you.
Unread 09-15-2008, 11:16 AM

I had a partial in Dec. 07 and here it is less than a year later and I am in so much pain again only on the left side just like before the partial was done. So I too am back to the beginning and Dr. is scheduling me for an ultrasound

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.