HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hormone Issues (HRT - No HRT) > Hormone and Menopause Central

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

Premarin Vaginal Cream - Yay or nay? Premarin Vaginal Cream - Yay or nay?

Unread 08-14-2008, 08:36 AM
Premarin Vaginal Cream - Yay or nay?

Ok, so here's my first question for the group...
I've been on estrace pills and premarin vaginal cream since my hysto in 1995(forgive me if I don't know all the abbreviations yet).
I need the estrace pills because they're more compatible with my body, and I did have ovary removal during the hysto.
Ok, now I also use premarin vaginal cream on a regular basis because the estrace vaginal cream doesn't do anything at all...I still am dry, tight, and really it seems completely useless when I've used it...so I stick with the premarin cream.
I'm trying to not use the premarin cream so often though because it's super expensive (tier 2 or 3 drug) and I'm trying to use a minimal amount of hormones since I am on long-term therapy. (ok, make that for life...)
I've recently been trying to also use less vaginal cream because they are in fact very messy, smelly, and leave that lovely chunky white residue which gets all over my husband...and that's pretty embarassing, not to mention unromantic.lol
Anyway, I've been weaning myself down from the dose of premarin cream and using Replens instead. I find it's very helpful at keeping me moist and feeling like my old self down there(if that makes sense?lol). The only problem is that sometimes I get dry and irritated when I have intercourse with my husband...like, if I've been really stressed or upset or whatever, sometimes the Replens isn't enough, so I need to switch back onto the premarin cream for a few days.
Is anyone else experiencing these kinds of issues where you can go off of the vaginal creams but have to go back on them occasionally?
Also, does anyone have any recommendations for vaginal estrace medications that don't come in that horrible greasy base? Like, are there any other vaginal estrogens that aren't so messy and gross???
Thanks for any comments or suggestions you ladies have
Unread 08-14-2008, 05:07 PM

Hi,

I know just what you mean about the cream being messy! I had to use the cream for a few weeks after my repair surgery...it was yucky to use but at least it was for only a few weeks. My Uro/Gyn has me on Vagifem 2x a week...much, much better. Vagifem comes in an applicator that's pre-filled with a tablet. Its' easy and no mess!!

My doctor said it is very important to keep the vaginal tissues "nice and plump" (his words) to keep the walls from getting dry and irritated which can contribute to vaginal atrophy and bladder problems. I've been using the Vagifem for more than 3 years and I have no plans to stop..I feel too good! I tried Replens, helped a bit but they didn't do the trick....most of us who are post-menopausal need the estrogen.

Take care and let us know how you make out..

Diana
Unread 08-14-2008, 10:37 PM

I also use the vagifem 2x a week. It is easy to use and I have not had any problems with dryness. It is not messy like the premarin cream.
With my insurance vagifem is cheaper than the premarin cream.
I understand the long-term therapy. That is my plan.
Hope this helps!
Unread 08-18-2008, 07:26 AM

I did not like the vag creams at all due to the mess and I didnt think they did anymore for me at all. I have not been on any vag creams for three year now and have been fine so far. I have also read some where to use either a fish oil or vit e pill but not sure how well that would work. I just take fish oil orally along with my vit d/calcium and vit c and my hormone and haven't had any prob with dryness. I think the fish oil once a day helps alot to have natural lubercants. I even get small amounts of discharge on my underpants on occasionally like I use to when I had my ovaries.

As for finding a nice way to have sex without having dryness I would suggest using ky jelly that has worked wonders for me and my husband and the mess is no more than that of normal sexual discharge. I love the one with the heat and i want to try the one that is made for him and her.
Unread 08-20-2008, 12:00 PM

I was using Premarin cream for about 6 months. I couldn't tell that it did any good and as other have said, it is indeed messy.

I ended up back at the doctor with a severe rash (burning and raw), so obviously, the Premarin cream did not do what it is supposed to do.

I'd be hard pressed to recommend it for these reasons, plus it is very expensive.
Unread 08-20-2008, 02:26 PM

I was first prescribed Premarin cream to help with my healing. I have been using it since, 2x a week 1g each time and it seems to be working for me just fine. I am moister and don't have discomfort or dryness like I did at times pre-op. I am also hoping it helps keep the tissues in better shape so I don't prolapse again.

When using it every other day post-op I did notice some mess, discharge on my underpants, but not much. I have not noticed it on my husband, but we do not have sex the night I put it in, or maybe it absorbs well for me, or maybe I am using less?

I guess it works well for some and not for others. Best wishes to all - Joanne
Unread 08-24-2008, 12:23 PM

Honestly, Premarin creme was a life saver for me. Recently, I went in to a new Dr. to have him look at my rectocele and he mentioned that the tissue in my vaginal area looked great. A year ago it was atrophic. I actually forget now to use it so that tells me that I feel pretty normal down there.

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.