HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hormone Issues (HRT - No HRT) > No Ovaries - Yes HRT - Surgical Menopause

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. Join us today!

Yeast infections and vaginal estrogen Yeast infections and vaginal estrogen

Unread 08-18-2008, 07:12 PM
Yeast infections and vaginal estrogen

Hi Ladies! I was wondering if anyone has had yeast infections while using estrace cream or vagifem. I went in for a yeast infection and was prescribed Terazol 3 (spelling). That seemed to help but less than 2 weeks later I was back to the Dr. with what I though was another yeast infection. It wasn't so Dr. gave me Estrace cream that seemed to help immediately but then I started getting a lot of pelvic pain I think from the Estrace cream. I called to see about Vagifem and she did prescribe that but the first time I used it I noticed a lot of discharge on applicator (TMI sorry). I hadn't used the Estrace for almost a week at this point. So, long story short I used an OTC 7 day cream and that seems to have helped but I still have a little discomfort and would like to try the Vagifem but I'm a little worried about another yeast infection. Can I start today since my last dose of Monistat was last night? Should I wait? My doc thought maybe just once a week on the Vagifem. I'm just confused by the whole thing. I thought too little estrogen could cause the yeast infections. Help! What to do?

Teresa
Unread 08-18-2008, 07:27 PM

12 weeks TAH/BSO. Oestrogen patch. Yes you can use the vagifem today, nothing to do with the Monistat. New to this, they say oestrogen levels can affect yeast infections, I have a mild yeast infection at present, about the 3rd I have had in my life of 47 years. I have always eaten yoghurt to cure this previously and will be doing so again. The jury is still out for me though as my whole vagina is different, fluid wise, sex wise nothing yet so to me it is just a different environment altogether which encourages yeast. I think this will take some experimenting for me until I work it out.
Maybe ask why creams not patches in your case? Good Luck with it all and with getting a better answer than mine...
Unread 08-18-2008, 07:48 PM

Hi Mountain Woman, I am on the Climara patch. The vaginal estrogen is just for vaginal atrophy/dryness. I too have only had 3 yeast infections in my whole life. Occasionally it would feel like I was getting one before my period but then would get my period and not get or have a yeast infection. I have to agree that everything is different. I don't like the pain/burning in the lower region that's for sure. I'm just not sure if I'm doing too much estrogen and that's why I got the 2nd yeast infection. It's very confusing. My dr. wasn't sure either She wanted to up my patch until she gave me the Estrace cream and then thought it best to see how that goes. This is such a jungle.

Thanks for the help!

Teresa

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.

Summer Fun Giveaway