HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Separate Surgeries

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. Join us today!

How fast can a cyst grow? How fast can a cyst grow?

Unread 08-22-2008, 06:06 PM
How fast can a cyst grow?

Does anyone know how fast a cyst can grow? Can you go from no cyst one month to suddenly having one big enough to cause problems the next month?

Also, would an ovarian cyst cause night sweats and hot flashes? How about occasional lightheadedness and palpitations?
Unread 08-22-2008, 10:45 PM

Hey Mich! LOL mine grew 5 cm in 9 days (13 cm total) and yep all of those symptoms. And still, but now add chills. I am the only one with a blanket on in Sacramento LOL.... you have got to call the dr. I know you don't want to but it is the right thing to do.
Unread 08-23-2008, 10:16 AM

Hi Mich,
When I had my first large cyst removed my doctor's words were "it did not get that way overnight." Not really sure how fast they grow, but at the time my doctor thought it had been growing for awhile. Than again, I had been ignoring the symptoms.

Hot flashes and night sweats can be a sign of hormone fluctuations. Not sure if a cyst can cause that or not.
Unread 08-25-2008, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAmich
Does anyone know how fast a cyst can grow? Can you go from no cyst one month to suddenly having one big enough to cause problems the next month?

Also, would an ovarian cyst cause night sweats and hot flashes? How about occasional lightheadedness and palpitations?
I read online that is can cause all that. and I have had palpitations, night sweats and lightheadedness that I attributed to a recent large weight loss.
Unread 10-21-2008, 11:05 AM

I went from TAH in March 08 with squeaky clean ovaries and no problems or findings to six months later. You have a significant sized cyst on your right ovary (10cm). Yep, I had the symptoms but ignored them. Didn't think anything else could possibly be wrong with me. This was found during my six month check up after the TAH. They can grow rapidly. I have waited now only three weeks from the diagnosis to the surgery (scheduled tommorrow) and I know it is bigger. I can feel it externally.
Unread 10-21-2008, 11:11 AM

I had surgery on June 23rd and by August 1st I had regrown the 9cm cyst they removed during the surgery. The little things can grow pretty quickly from my past experience.
Unread 10-21-2008, 02:47 PM

They can grow fast, slow, shrink...just depends.

I have a complex cyst - 4.5 cm - on my left ovary. Last year when I had my hyster, that ovary looked fine.

I've been having a lot of symptoms since Feb 08 - just vague tho. Mine come and go. For me, it's the bowel changes and fatigue that's bothersome.

Best of luck to you and keep us informed!!

Deadra
Unread 10-21-2008, 05:29 PM

I thank you have gotten your answer by now but I will add my story to!! I knew I had one in august went to gyn early sept it ruptsured in late sept and first of october I had started developing endometriosis. I had an ultarsound on a thursday and everything was fine the next friday I was having surgery. Also I had all the nite sweats, hot flashes and heavy periods.

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.