HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   HysterSisters Hysterectomy > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. Join us today!

No cervix, no STDs? No cervix, no STDs?

Unread 08-26-2008, 11:33 AM
No cervix, no STDs?

Can you get STDs when your cervix has been removed? I mean HPV, clamydia, etc....

And if you can't, and your GYN says that you no longer need annual check-ups, how would you know that you have an STD?
Unread 08-26-2008, 12:07 PM
No cervix, no STDs?

I know you can still get HPV. It's also a cause of oral cancer. I'm pretty sure you can still get all the rest - herpes, HIV, gonoreah (spelling?), chlamydia, anything that lives in a warm moist environment. I had a TVH, kept ovaries, no cervix. They say I don't need pap smears, but will still need a yearly exam to check for masses on the ovaries. They'll still "inspect" the vaginal walls. Some docs still want to do a vaginal smear, but I think that depends on your history...
Unread 08-26-2008, 03:41 PM
No cervix, no STDs?

Of course you can. So if you have unprotected sex with multiple partners you would still need to get checked..but just don't do it!
Unread 08-26-2008, 05:16 PM
No cervix, no STDs?

I was told I will still need smears done even though 3 weeks ago I had a hysterectomy. I had everything removed, uterus, cervix, ovaries. I have a husband not multiple partners.....But because 6 years ago I had a abnormal smear, I still have to keep getting checked. I don't understand why when I no have no cervix to check....weird to me
Unread 08-31-2008, 02:06 AM
No cervix, no STDs?

Ladies, please be sure to continue to get Pap smears, even if you have a total hysterectomy. Even though you no longer have a cervix, certain strains of a very common virus called the human papilloma virus (HPV) can cause pre-cancerous and eventually cancerous changes to the cells of the vaginal cuff (and vagina). (There is no difference between the cells of the cervix and the vagina, plus there is no dividing line between the two.)

My doctor also told me that I didn't need to have Pap tests after my hysterectomy in 2002 since I'd never had an abnormal Pap before. Three years later, my new family doctor talked me into going ahead and having a Pap. Long story short, I was diagnosed with moderate and severe dysplasia (pre-cancer) and later carcinoma in situ (cancer which hasn't spread yet.) I had to have laser surgery last year and am still be monitored with Paps every three to six months by a gyn/oncologist (cancer doctor).

If I had listened to my first doctor, I might have invasive cancer by now. Please do yourself a favor and continue to have your Pap tests, even if you have to insist on it. It's your life and you have to advocate for yourself. With HPV being as common as it is (it's estimated that up to 80% of all sexually active people will have one or more strains of the HPV virus in their lifetime), it's better to be safe than sorry. That few moments of embarrassment and discomfort could save your life! It did mine!

s,

Lisa
Unread 08-31-2008, 10:25 AM
No cervix, no STDs?

as sashi said, continued checkups, including pap smears and hpv testing is very important, regardless of whether you've had a hysterectomy or have a cervix. and you can get/have hpv even with condoms, and even with just one partner. as for the other stds, they're all possible as well, regardless of whether you've had a hysterectomy. check ups and paps are easy and relatively inexpensive, and problems, if any, are best caught early.
Unread 08-31-2008, 05:04 PM
No cervix, no STDs?

Hi there, Thanks for that information, it was very helpful and I understand now why I need to continue having cervical/pap smears. I will make sure I always get them when due as it was an HPV that I had 6 years ago and had a biopsy which thankfully came back ok.
Thanks Nicola

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.