HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

having trouble passing gas. causing pain.  Any ideas? having trouble passing gas. causing pain. Any ideas?

Unread 08-29-2008, 09:19 AM
having trouble passing gas. causing pain. Any ideas?

Can't get the gas to pass and its what's causing my pain. I've taken gas-x and just used a glycerin suppository, but I can't get anything to move. I'm afraid to eat much because of it. Any ideas to get things moving? I've not gotten much help from the nurse I called other than to keep taking the gas x and do the suppository.
Unread 08-29-2008, 09:45 AM

Walking! My doctor told me fiber also. Hope this helps.
Unread 08-29-2008, 03:10 PM

#1 - coffee with cream and sugar will wake up the bowels

#2 - walk, walk, walk - even if it is two houses down and back a couple
times a day, you will

#3 - Triphala - research it, works great. I take one AM and two PM. I get it
at a health food store. Used this prior to surgery.

#4 - Psyllium Husk (drink lots of water)

#5 - If you are constipated, use a stoll softner (colace, etc.)

#6 - My Dr. told me on 8/26, that gas is also caused from a lack of activity.
Not much we can do about that.

I had 6wk appt. on 8/26, not back to work, sex not allowed yet, however I did get pool permission (no swimming). I am walking in the pool, nice variety. If it is hot where you live have someone take you to a store, and walk there. I am in Las Vegas, and it is bloody hot.

My Mom brought a Psyllium Husk capsule to the hospital to get things moving. The next morning "Victory". I got released. I only told the Dr. on my 2nd post-op visit.

Good Luck
Unread 08-29-2008, 03:47 PM

I like dulcolax and 2 gas X right before bed and when you wake its easy going...
Unread 08-29-2008, 04:18 PM

I had the very same trouble as you Mogwai. My LAVH was on the 26th and just today was my very first BM. I too had the gas pains and everything.

I wish I had some wisdom to pass along to you. The only thing I can tell you is that I ate lunch at the hospital on Wednesday. Then I ate light when I got home. They gave me two doses of a stool softener at the hospital and they did nothing. Thursday night I took one dose of Correctol.

Anyway when it hit me this morning I won't lie to you, it wasn't pretty and it wasn't fun. But after the initial movement, things then proceeded nicely. Afterwards all that gassy pain was gone.

The only thing I can tell you that I tried to do was not panic over it. I kept telling myself that nature would take it course and it would happen in good time. I know sometimes when I worry about something, especially constipation, it just makes it worse.

Good luck and please keep us informed on how things are going for you!
Unread 08-29-2008, 04:55 PM

I also had terrible problems with gas pains after surgery. I used gas - X and WALKED. I paced and paced from one end of the kitchen to the other the first few nights I was home from the hospital but it worked. Also dr. put me on Colace (stool softner) while still in hospital. I was told to stay on that until I was not taking the narcotics anymore. Good luck!!
Unread 08-29-2008, 05:01 PM

Day three was my most painful gas day. It's the same day the hospital finally gave me Gas-X. At least you are on the right track with that.

In addition to Gas-X, I'd add walking, hot tea, walking, resting, walking, hot tea, walking, resting, walking, hot tea .... etc.
Unread 08-29-2008, 05:03 PM

Whoops...a duplicate post. Tried to delete it but couldn't figure out how.
Unread 08-29-2008, 05:24 PM

Well, in between napping I've been walking. Drinking hot broth. It seems to be coming out, but not as forcefully as I normaly would pass gas. Its like it bubbles up to the edge and sneaks out I was told by my mother to eat a couple prunes and get a bath (not sure if the later was to help me with the gas or because I just stink

Now my next thing is to figure out how to get into my own bed instead of sleeping in my hubby's la-z-boy. Our bed sits way to high for me to lift my legs.
Unread 08-29-2008, 06:55 PM

Walking is the key I think. I just walked around my backyard though...if I had walked in public, it would have been embarassing! It really helps!

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.