HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   HysterSisters Hysterectomy > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. Join us today!

Trying to empty bladder after urethral sling Trying to empty bladder after urethral sling

Unread 08-30-2008, 07:49 PM
Trying to empty bladder after urethral sling

I had a urethral sling done at the time of my hysterectomy and I had no idea it would be so hard to learn to pee again.

Right after my catheter was removed I couldn't squeeze a drop out and now, nearly a week later, I'm having to sit on the toilet and wait through several stops and goes only to get up and wonder if I've emptied my bladder fully.

Is anyone else having this kind of trouble "re-teaching" their bladder how to work?
Unread 08-30-2008, 08:35 PM

Dixiegurl,

Yes, I remember the time it took for my bladder to behave in a normal way after my surgery. My doctor was great and warned me ahead of time that I would need to move a bit and alter my position while sitting on the toilet in order to empty my bladder. I was glad he did, because I had to lean from one side to the other, and each time I moved more would come out. It was odd, because I didn't have the ability to push anymore after the surgery, so I never felt like I was in control of emptying my bladder. I think this is normal, and it took time for my bladder repair to heal and a couple weeks before I didn't have to shift around to empty, and even longer before my bladder muscles regained the ability to push urine out instead of me just hanging out waiting for things to slowly empty out. So, just be patient with yourself and let everything heal up. You will notice after time that things are behaving more like they used to, don't worry.

Take care of yourself!
Donna
Unread 08-30-2008, 10:01 PM

I had the bladder sling put in a year AFTER my hysterectomy. I had to come home from day surgery with a cath for a week because I couldn't go. After the cath was removed my urologist told me my bladder would be "grumpy". He was right. There would be times when it was hard to go; other times when my urine would practically fall out of me. Then, about a month ago, while traveling, I had a urinary retention problem - I couldn't go at all. Ended up bypassing the campground we were headed to and ended up 30 miles further down the road in the ER for an emergency cath. Got to camp for a week with the cath, while my bladder rested from being so full of urine (about 5 cups they told me). So this time, when I went back to the doctor, I told him that they were going to teach me how to cath myself as I was NOT going to go through that again! Although I have had no problems since, I did have a very informative visit with my GYN (great guy) who explained that urination is 5% bladder and 95% brain. My doctors decided that my urinary retention issue was due in part to the surgery but also the stress of traveling. I had also seen this happen on TV and was, at the time, in a remote area - about 70 miles from the nearest help. That definitely added fuel to my mental fire. All is well now. I carry my little cath tube and had an uneventful vacation in Hawaii. However, I am very aware of my cranky bladder and try to go at regular intervals and not ignore when I need to go.
Try to be patient and give your bladder some time. It is a very fussy organ!
Kim
LSH 6/27/07
anterior repair and sling 6/17/08
Unread 08-31-2008, 12:28 AM

I am right there with you, I had a TAH done in March and was supposed to get my sling done at the same time, but do to complications did not. I had my vaginal sling done Monday, August 25, 2008. I am having the same problems with going urinating. I have to sit there and wait for it to come out because they said not to push or strain. It is a little aggravating, but I believe it will get easier over time. Luckily, I work as a receptionist for a great Urogynecologist and am hearing feedback from patients constantly...so I kind of knew what to expect. Good Luck and I hope it gets easier for us both soon.
Unread 08-31-2008, 11:29 AM

hi everyone

I had my bladder sling done with my hyster... I thought i was crazy - my doctor told me that some women have trouble peeing for a couple of days. Since the sling I feel like I go more than ever. I am not sure I empty everytime. I dont feel as though I have to pee anymore while I am sitting there - i dont push because if I do it hurts (bowel movements prove that). Which have increased too (I know TMI). My surgeries were done on 8/21 and the only problem I am experiencing is the whole peeing and bm.

So what I am reading makes me feel better. I knew there would be some issues because the doctor stated there would be but thought only for a couple days. I am on day 12 since my surgeries and still have problems in that area.

Thanks for the post now I know I am having normal problems and will put my mind at ease - maybe that will help with the issue
Unread 08-31-2008, 06:18 PM

I've also had the similar problems you are having. My hysterectomy w/bladder sling repair (and others...) was on 7/30/08. I had a catheter in for 2 weeks and it takes time but it does get better. My doctor explained that before my surgery my muscles in there weren't working properly (I had sress incontience) and now that it's repaired things are learning to work again. There has been discomfort when I first started to pee but it does get better. Hang in there and take one day at a time.

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.