HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. Join us today!

Unread 09-02-2008, 09:15 PM
Bowel Prep?

Hello There! Hope You All Are Having A Great Evening I Had My Pre-op Today.... So Now I Am Having A Great Deal Of Anxiety..lol Anyway, I Am Having A Divinci Lvh And A&p Repair The Doc Told Me That I Needed A Bowel Prep?? Is Anybody Doing This Too? I Heard You Poop Your Brains Out? Is There Any Other Side Effects? Like Cramping? Anybody Out There Freaking Out Too?
Unread 09-02-2008, 09:22 PM
Bowel Prep?

Yah the whole bowel prep is worrying to me. I have to drink that icky stuff and do an enema.
Unread 09-02-2008, 09:56 PM
Bowel Prep?

I have to do this evil thing on Sunday as my surgery is monday..... sort of scared. Having a laprascopic supracervical hysterectomy.
Unread 09-03-2008, 06:23 AM
Bowel Prep?

I had to do a bowel prep the day before my surgery. My doctor had me do the phospho soda (1 1/2 oz. bottle). It wasn't bad. I also had to do a liquid diet that day as well. My surgery was scheduled for 1 pm so I had to start the prep at 4 pm. I mixed it with ice tea. I also would take a bite of a popsicle after a drink of the prep. This helped me with the aftertaste and helped me keep it from coming back up. My doctor told me he didn't care how much liquid I mixed the solution in. The most important thing was getting it down and keeping it down. As for the pooping alot it was in the beginning (it worked quickly) but was done by bedtime and never got up during the night. Good luck with your sugeries ladies.
Unread 09-03-2008, 06:32 AM
Bowel Prep?

the bowel prep is really nothing to worry about. once you drink what the dr ordered, you do go to the bathroom alot but theres no cramping or anything. just make sure you drink a lot so you dont get dehydrated. good luck
Unread 09-03-2008, 06:53 AM
Bowel Prep?

Ladies, the bowel prep is no biggie at all. I have a colonoscopy every year and had one the week before my surgery; 2 bowel preps in one week, now that's livin' I tell you! Here's how to make it more tolerable...nice soft toilet paper, natch, and then you need Prep H or some other cortisone type cream for your tushy. Put the cream on the area BEFORE you start running to the toilet, and then reapply after each time. Your delicate rectal tissues will thank you for that. Oh yeah, have PLENTY of reading material in the bathroom with you! Make sure you drink lots of whatever is on your list to drink, and drink plenty of water also because you will get dehydrated, and you want to stave that off. The enema part is not so much fun, but again, it's no big deal at all. When I have to do one, I get up early in the morning and clean the house and especially the bathrooms, and then in the afternoon start to "do the do." Pun intended. Good luck!
Unread 09-03-2008, 09:11 AM
Bowel Prep?

Thanks for the encouragement and all the advice.
Unread 09-03-2008, 12:17 PM
Bowel Prep?

Thank You So Much For The Advise! I Will Folow Your Advise :-) Good Luck To All! I Will Keep You Posted
Unread 09-03-2008, 02:49 PM
Bowel Prep?

As long as you don't have to drink the go-lytely garbage you should be fine. I'm having a colonoscopy in Oct and thankfully this GI guy gave me the phosphosoda stuff which I can easily gulp down. I have to have liquids the day before so that will be helpful. Although it is football season and we usually make chili. Guess that wouldn't count as clear liquids, huh?!

Anyway, they have you do bowel prep in case there is any area near your bowels that may need repair once they go in and do their stuff. You want to be cleaned out so that they don't have to send you home with a colostomy bag or have you come back for another surgery because they couldn't safely perform what they needed to. (That's the advice my nurse-friend gave me--and although it did not help me swallow that awful stuff, it helped knowing it was for a truly great cause--my pocket book!!).

Hang in there, it will be over before you know it and we'll be talking in the post-op forum!

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.

Summer Fun Giveaway