HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   HysterSisters Hysterectomy > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. Join us today!

what does activity as tolerated mean to you? what does activity as tolerated mean to you?

Unread 09-07-2008, 11:42 PM
what does activity as tolerated mean to you?

I need some more specific guidelines. I had an LAV with everthing remved 8/26.. My bladder got punctured so I had a catheter until 9/4. I still have some frequent urge, but seem to "go" fine. My dr.s only post-op instructions were "activity as tolerated" I have a very high tolerence for pain so often I just feel a sense of "edginess" rather than pain. I am managing well on Motrin and have started my HRT. Without an abdominal incision, what am I watching for as I heal? Do all the post-op guidelines apply the same for a LAV? I certainly don't want any excuse to return to "the castle" I like my humble cottage just fine! LOL Can you all help me ?

P.S. thanks for all the reading material and help so far
Unread 09-08-2008, 04:49 AM

You are smart to know that your "edginess" probably means you are pushing it a bit. You should be watching for pressure in your lower abdomen, pain, tiredness, spotting and fever. If you feel/see any of these symptoms try to take it easy. I know I also get moody/edgy when I am doing too much. That is my cue to go lie down and put my feet up for a while. Even 10 weeks out that is my symptom that I most watch for. Take care!
Unread 09-08-2008, 05:40 AM

Activities as tolerated to me meant, I only got up to use the toilet or to walk to my front porch to sit outside and get some sun. I did not cook clean or do anything strenuous for 4 weeks. I climbed the stairs twice a day. After week 2 I started walking my block in the early morning but still no bending, stooping or pushing a vacuum cleaner. I pampered the princess for as long as I could. I have a 15 yr old and 13 yr old twins they did a lot to aid in my recovery. DH works out of town during the week so, when he came home he pampered the princess even more. Take it easy and enjoy this time it will go by faster than you want it to.
Unread 09-08-2008, 06:19 PM

Thanks so much all. I will relax and watch it. You all are great! I am so grateful for this website.
Unread 09-08-2008, 08:22 PM

Hi joebob
I had some repairs too and for me right at first, I could over do by sitting on the couch too long. Sometimes I didn't know I was over doing until it was too late, so I learned the hard way not to try too much at once before resting and making sure I was good to do more.

I would get that achiness and pain in my lower abdomen and later when I was on my feet more there was pressure that led to some pretty bad pain if I was up and doing too much. Rest would make it subside, but usually required some extra pain meds for me.

I learned that recovery is a process of learning how to listen to your body and balance your activities at each stage. You'll get to where you can do a little bit more all the time but when you reach the point where you have to push yourself to go on- don't! Make yourself stop when you're tired or begin to feel discomfort.

We're all different in how quickly we can walk the block or whatever you're used to doing. Listen to your body and you'll do fine. Have you had a chance to read through the Checkpoints? You'll find a lot of good information to help you know what's typical for each stage in your recovery.
I wish you well and hope your recovery continues to go smoothly.
's, Rita
Unread 09-08-2008, 08:38 PM

I understand where you're coming from because my doctor's post-op instructions were similar. I was even told that stairs were fine as long as I took them slowly. Beginning the first week I was probably doing the stairs around 5-10 times a day, but only 2-3 steps at a time with short rests on the way up. The only restriction I had was for lifting, and even that, at 15 lbs. , was more generous than most of the other sisters were allowed. I just tried really hard to listen to my body and look for clues that I was over-doing. I figured a twinge here and there was probably okay, but any pain that stuck around for more than a second or two was a sign that I was doing something I shouldn't. I began walking outside two days after my surgery, but only went short distances at first. My instructions suggested a "gradual return to normal activities" rather than nothing at all for 6 weeks. It seemed like that left a lot for me to figure out, but by listening to my body and energy level from day to day, I figured out what I could do and what I couldn't. At six weeks I got the go ahead to return to all my normal activities, but even now I'm taking it slowly. I tried a little running, which is my preferred exercise, but it just didn't feel right yet, so I'm going to give it another week and stick to long walks. I vacuumed for the first time a few days ago and that was something that made me really sore the next day--maybe I'll let DH help out with that one a little longer. Best wishes and hugs.

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.