HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

Serous fluid leaking from wound Serous fluid leaking from wound

Unread 09-10-2008, 10:36 PM
Serous fluid leaking from wound

I was wondering if anyone has has Serous fluid leaking from their incision and to what degree. I have one area that is leaking. Well to put it mildly... if i press on it .. it squirts about 6 inches.. it does not hurt and it is nothing serious so says the Dr. but now i have to keep a gauze pad on it and change it all the time. I thank god it is only a very small area.
Unread 09-11-2008, 01:36 AM

Hi Swift

I haven't had anything like this but is just doesn't sound right.

Has the Dr seen it or have you just talked to him on the phone?

If he hasn't seen it I would be insisting on an appointment.

Katy
Unread 09-11-2008, 12:45 PM

Hi Swift,

About a week and a half after my surgery I started leaking fluid also. I went to the ER and when the Dr. took off the steri strips I had an opening in my incision. This has happened on July 14th and I'm still getting my incision packed. I'm happy to say that it is healing nicely, it just takes time and patience. Just make sure that the Dr. examines it because you don't want to get an infection. Also you want it to heal correctly "from the inside out". Being able to press fluid out is signifying that you have a pocket of fluid below the incision. If your body starts to heal over the onset of where the fluid is coming from, it can cause problems in the end. I'm only speaking from my own experience. While I am now healing, I still have drainage. Keeping it packed is keeping it from closing around the site until it heals correctly as I stated above. Please insist on getting it checked out so you can avoid any problems later.

Carlie

36y/o SAH 7-14-08
Unread 09-11-2008, 01:28 PM

Listen to Carlie! she's got it right.

Also see my post from August 16th, "Yikes! My stomach has turned into a fountain!"

Best of luck to my seroma sisters!
Unread 09-13-2008, 03:59 AM

I did have it checked out by my Dr. he surface packed it told me to get it checked every couple of days and keep it clean. He also gave me a Rx for antibiotics just in case. He also took a swab of it to get tested. There is a serious amount of fluid leaking.. its a mighty big pocket i would say because i can press just at my pubic bone and it squirts out at the left corner of my insicion... so about 4 inches away..and it squirts about 2 inches out. On the other hand i have put my old kotex pads to good use.. they have now become my gauze pads... because they will acctualy hold the amount of fluid that flows out for 2 or 3 hours without me having to change them. A simple 3x3 gauze pad well 2 of them with an over layer to protect them from soaking through did not last through a 2 hour nap...and it soaked through the overlayer..ickkk what a mess. and the kotex pads have the added bonus of stay dry lining... who knew that that would come in handy.
Unread 09-13-2008, 06:38 AM

When I had my staples removed 10 days after my surgery, I had a spot a the lower end of my incision that had some drainage. They did a swab in the office and sent it to be cultured for infection. It came back as infection and I was put on cipro for 10 days. They also told me to use peroxide diluted with water on it. Both did the trick and incision is healing fine now.

That is good you had it checked at your dr. office.

Tatermist03
Unread 09-13-2008, 09:51 AM

In my experience, the fluid starts to slow down after awhile, and the stuff that comes out is redder (bloodier). I was worried about this, but the visiting nurse said it's a sign that things are healing. Just thought I'd pass that along.

Yes, it's good to have a use for those old maxi pads!
Unread 09-13-2008, 11:15 AM

Hi Swift,
I'm happy to hear that you were seen by your Dr. I read that you have a big pocket of fluid and now you are getting it packed at the surface. I'm just concerned about the amount of fluid that you are able to expell by pushing on your pubic bone. If the amount of fluid doesn't lessen please stay on your Dr. about that.

Carlie

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.