HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. Join us today!

Ablation Hell after a year Ablation Hell after a year

Unread 09-11-2008, 10:34 AM
Ablation Hell after a year

First let me thank everyone for their stories. I was thinking I was going crazy. It is refreshing to have insight on the processes and experiences before hand.

Well add me to the Novasure list of I want to get off this ride. I just turned 40. I had a Novasure last Halloween because I was on my period more than off my period. It was affecting my marriage and friendships because I was so tired all the time and didnt want to do anything but get in the bed when I came home from work. I was flooding thru tampons and pad double coverage sorry if tmi.

Everything was better after the Novasure - I was bloodless but had heavy cramping, which I managed with pain meds. About 4 months ago my cramps became more severe. I am now spotting 30% of the month and my cramps feel like I am in labor constantly. I have pain in my back and down my right leg. I have an appointment Monday with my GYN...she has to remove this constant pain I am in.

I am starting to get headaches and feel like I am about to die from pain except when I am high on pain meds.

I hope my insurance doesnt make me do another Novasure or jump through fire hoops to alleviate my pain.
Unread 09-11-2008, 11:07 AM

i hope you can get some relief soon...good luck.
Unread 09-11-2008, 11:51 AM

I had success with Novasure for one year, after that, the pain almost tripled, bleeding off and on, and back pain was intolerable. The final result was surgery in June. For me, Novasure ablation only bought me time. Good Luck
Unread 09-12-2008, 10:02 AM

Hi Ablkwmn2
I'm so sorry to hear you're having all these continuing problems. I also had heavy bleeding that was hindering my life style. I chose to have an ablation too in the hopes of avoiding a hysterectomy. Mine helped briefly to slow down the bleeding, but the bleeding came back full force, with added pain.

In my situation I hadn't ever had the impression that there weren't risks involved with the procedure and the possibility of failure. I hope your dr informed you of the possible risks. I don't blame the Novasure method for my lack of success. There are many, many women who have wonderful success stories they can share involving their experiences with Novasure and other ablation techniques. Try to keep in mind that you're posting on a hysterectomy website, so most, if not all, of what you're going to find here are stories of failed attempts.

It's very important to get all the information you can before making a decision to have any type of ablation. There are cases where an ablation is specifically advised against for health reasons and some women are just not a good canidate for a successful ablation from the start. I found a good information article at this website- http://www.gynalternatives.com/ablation.htm that might help you put some of this in perspective. There is also a link in our Resource section to a wonderful Endometrial Ablation Discussion Board . There is a lot of information on their pages and you could ask some of your questions there too, in hopes of finding answers to your concerns and what would be best for you to do next.

I know it's hard dealing with these issues anyway, but to have the frustration that you might have been led astray by wrong information or the lack of information just adds to it all. I hope you can find some good answers so you can put the past where it belongs and move ahead with confidence that you have made an informed decision for your medical needs. I wish you well and hope that you'll be feeling better soon. Let us know what you find out and decide to do.
's, Rita
Unread 09-12-2008, 09:03 PM

I'm so sorry to hear about your story. I had to have a TAH after the Novasure procedure failed. I had 4 weeks of severe cramping that couldn't even be touched by medication and my doctor finally said that my uterus had to come out but it wasn't until we were in PreOp that she finally admitted that she had read over the weekend that it was the Novasure procedure that had pushed the "burnt product" up into my tubes which were tied in '89 during a C-Section thus causing the severe pain. So, I'm not so sure about this Novasure procedure being safe on all women and there are many lawsuits happening. I do hope you get some relief soon. I did wake up feeling much better after surgery. Bless you! Vineyard 1990
Unread 09-13-2008, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vineyard1990
I'm so sorry to hear about your story. I had to have a TAH after the Novasure procedure failed. I had 4 weeks of severe cramping that couldn't even be touched by medication and my doctor finally said that my uterus had to come out but it wasn't until we were in PreOp that she finally admitted that she had read over the weekend that it was the Novasure procedure that had pushed the "burnt product" up into my tubes which were tied in '89 during a C-Section thus causing the severe pain. So, I'm not so sure about this Novasure procedure being safe on all women and there are many lawsuits happening. I do hope you get some relief soon. I did wake up feeling much better after surgery. Bless you! Vineyard 1990
Was interested to read this as I wondered if any lawsuits were being pursued yet. Your Doctor should of been aware of the fact that Novasure is not recommended for women who had tubal ligation but like us, they are probably not reading the fine print as its really is in the fine print of the Novasure literature, however, if they are Doctors they should be reading it!

Its also not recommended on women over the age of 35 without a biopsy and D&C so Adenomyosis or endometrial cancer can be ruled out. Once an ablation is done there is not enough lining left to do a biopsy with any conclusive result and only if you are lucky can adenomyosis be discovered as it can be hiding in pockets that are not biopsied or scraped. So really if you suddenly start having problems after 35yrs, had a tubal ligation or a C section (another contradiction), women should not be offered an ablation but they are by the thousands!

Glad to hear that your TAH went well and that you are feeling better now.
Unread 09-15-2008, 12:43 PM

Today I was told I will need a hysterectomy today when I was seen by Dr. She said as soon as my insurance approve the surgery I will be scheduled.

I too had a tubal ligation in 89 so I am very upset that my doctor should have known I wasnt a good candiate for Novasure....
Unread 09-15-2008, 06:43 PM

I'm just wondering if this Novasure procedure should be done on patients with tubals. My doctor told me that "this only happens in 10% of the procedures" but I've been reading and there are many women having problems with the Novasure procedure ending up with hysterectomies. You can Google Novasure problems and a ton of stuff comes up. My "honey" questioned my doctor in the PreOp area and she quickly skirted around his question and he's an attorney and wants to sue. I've been going to her for years and I'm really upset by her response when I question her now. She tells me I" shouldn't be upset for having done the Novasure, this is the first case in the entire office of 7 doctors that has gone wrong in over 6 years". I find that difficult to believe. But who knows! I hope all goes well for you. This site was a blessing for me. I found out on a Friday afternoon that I was having surgery on a Monday morning. I couldn't have made it thru without the hints I found here.
Unread 09-15-2008, 07:01 PM

My surgery is scheduled for September 24, 2008.....that was quick
Unread 09-15-2008, 07:49 PM

That was quick! Read up on all you can. Are you have a Total with ovaries removed or are you leaving those in? Do you have a great support system? You can ask me all the questions you want since I just went thru this. I don't mind, really. Let me know if I can help. I really wished I had someone to "talk" with before mine.

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.

Summer Fun Giveaway