HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hormone Issues (HRT - No HRT) > No Ovaries - No Hormones - Managing Menopause

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

HAIR- everywhere!!!!!!! HAIR- everywhere!!!!!!!

Unread 09-16-2008, 04:57 PM
HAIR- everywhere!!!!!!!

I am four years post-op TAH/BSO and I am growing hair on my face and neck!!!!!!!!!!!!!I don't mean that little "mustache" I mean very fine, long, baby type hair on my cheeks, chin & neck. Anyone else have this? I bought some hair remover, plastic strip things for sensitive skin, because when I used one before I ended up with red patches on my face. These are too gentle, and when I keep going after the same spot, it removed SKIN, but left the hair!!!! The hair is very light in color, but really show up in the sun & when I put on foundation. It is really grossing me out on my neck, and when I used the strip in the sensitive neck skin OUCH! Hurt the he!! but the hair was still there!!! Anyone have any good ideas for this???
Thanks
Unread 09-16-2008, 06:15 PM
HAIR- everywhere!!!!!!!

I have baby fine hair on sides of face/jaw line too, I think from BCP I took years ago. I haven't done anything about it but have heard of creams that you put on and the wipe off hair..Serious Skincare has one that's suppose to be good from the testimonials I've heard. Other than that maybe prof. waxing. The only thing I wouldn't personally do is shaving.

Good luck!
Unread 09-16-2008, 07:01 PM
HAIR- everywhere!!!!!!!

I have had those long random hairs on my chin and one right in the middle of my neck (where an adams apple would be if I had one). The creams give me a rash too as does waxing. Waxing also seems to make my pores get swollen and infected. Soooooooo shhh don't tell anyone cuz this is bad and my mother fusses at me......but I singe mine off. It works for me. There is my beauty secret for the day lol.
Unread 09-16-2008, 09:51 PM
HAIR- everywhere!!!!!!!

Hey whatsnormal,
I have the same hair problem. All over my face, very light hair but you sure can see it in the sun. Always had a small amount but it just seems to keep growing since surgery. I wonder what causes this. The only thing I have tried so far is pulling them. I'm afraid to try waxing. Almost bought a cream remover the other day. My DR does facial hair removal. I am going to ask the lady that cuts my hair (on my head, facial hair not that long yet) tomorrow when I go. We talk about everything and I figure she talks to a lot of people and someone may have shared some ideas with her.
Good luck finding something that works.
Unread 09-17-2008, 09:24 AM
HAIR- everywhere!!!!!!!

I also have very sensitive skin. I have found that the little feminine bikini electric razors take care quickly, easily and painlessly any hair issues I have. I also feel better because it is small, dainty and pink.....

I was wondering though, if you have had your testosterone levels checked? If our estrogen levels get too low, our bodies might try to compensate by producing more androgens which can increase body hair growth for some of us. There are meds that can help with the excess androgens so it might be worth it to ask your Dr about it.

s,
Kay
Unread 09-17-2008, 10:45 AM
HAIR- everywhere!!!!!!!

Hey Kay,
I have not had my testosterone level checked. I was thinking about asking DR to check levels next time I went in. I had my estrogen checked in January and DR said it was 41pg/ml (therapeutic for HRT). Seems low from what I have been reading here.

But for me excess hair is only on face. If estrogen levels were too low would hair growth be in other places too?

I'm curious to see if whatsnormal has had her levels checked.
Thanks for the info.
Unread 09-17-2008, 11:06 AM
HAIR- everywhere!!!!!!!

Well, it can be different for everyone. And I'm not saying that your testosterone levels are high, but just that you (and others) might want to have it checked, if you have not done so.

I was reading the other day, that as we get older most women just develop fuzzy faces and it is common for them to defuzz a couple of times a month if it bothers them. This article also said that unless you have to defuzz a couple of times a week or more, then it really should not be considered abnormal. (I wish I could remember where I read that )

s,
Kay
Unread 09-17-2008, 01:26 PM
HAIR- everywhere!!!!!!!

I think it is just another thing we women have to deal with as we get older and deal with hormone issues. As I have a couple friends who have the same problem and they have not had a hysterectomy.
I talked to the lady that cuts my hair as I figured she might have some insight. She claims professional waxing is the way to go from her own experience and what many of her clients say. Says after the 1st few times, she now only has to have it done once or twice a year. She says professional because of the pain if you are doing it yourself.
Unread 09-17-2008, 02:22 PM
VANIQA - Anyone Tried It????

Hi Ladies
I have had some chin hair for years and have plucked away at it. I am afraid that post op I may develop more. I read in a magazine about Vaniqa and am wondering about asking the dr at my 6 week appoinment tomorrow about a script.

Any input from anyone?
Unread 09-17-2008, 07:26 PM
HAIR- everywhere!!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by davinci817
I have had those long random hairs on my chin and one right in the middle of my neck (where an adams apple would be if I had one). The creams give me a rash too as does waxing. Waxing also seems to make my pores get swollen and infected. Soooooooo shhh don't tell anyone cuz this is bad and my mother fusses at me......but I singe mine off. It works for me. There is my beauty secret for the day lol.
How do you singe it off? I would think that would be dangerous?

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.