HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

can you have "phantom" pain after uterus is removed? can you have "phantom" pain after uterus is removed?

Unread 09-23-2008, 11:32 AM
can you have "phantom" pain after uterus is removed?

Hi sisters,

Last night I had pains that felt just like menstrual cramps - except there is no more uterus! I have heard that when people have arms/legs removed, the nerves create sensations of phantom pain. Could a missing uterus do that, too?

Otherwise I guess it was something surgery or GI related - who knows? Whatever it was, it's gone now, thank goodness!

Unread 09-23-2008, 12:05 PM

Yes...that same thing happens to me...and quite often at first. It is a bit weird if you think about it. I had my partial hysterectomy done Nov. 06 Then I had to go back in for the removal of scar tissue "adhesions" and my left ovary (that was about a year after my surgery) and NOW...I can feel the same pain again...to my one and only right ovary. I really dont even want to go back to the DR. cause I know what will happen. (ANOTHER SURGERY). Man'oh man - by the time their done...my stomach "pooch" will be to the floor lol.

Anyway...don't worry....phantom pain in very NORMAL!
Unread 09-23-2008, 12:33 PM

Thanks Shannon - I love your sense of humor. Gotta keep laughing!

But should you get that ovary checked out? Just to make sure it isn't anything serious?

B.C. (before cancer) I was pretty good at ignoring aches and pains. Now I'm all confused about what might possibly sorta be important and what isn't.

Hope you are totally well and don't need any more surgery! We can hope, right?

Unread 01-26-2009, 01:13 PM

How do I know if what i'm experiencing is phantompain or not? My partial hysterectomy was 1/7 my recovery has gone well until last Thursday when my pre-surgery pain returned for 2-days. What's done to figure out if there is a further problem or phantom pains.

Lisa
Unread 01-26-2009, 02:43 PM

I had some phantom pain, too. My thought is that some of the uterine pain I'd had before wasn't all just in the uterus, that some of it was in surrounding tissues as they responded to uterine cramping, swelling, etc. Although I no longer have a uterus, I do still have these other tissues, and that must be what's hurting now since everything is still swollen. Many, it would be horrible to have phantom menstrual cramps for another ten years!
Unread 01-26-2009, 05:29 PM

Given that it's not unusual to experience various pains for 12 months after hysterectomy they are more likely recovery pains, don't you think?
Unread 01-26-2009, 06:11 PM

Recovery pains I completely understand. What throws me and scares me is having the same pain that has changed my life so drastically return after surgery. I'm more inclined to think of them as phantom pains after reading so many experiences. In fact I would rather they be phantom pains than to learn that removing my uterus was not the answer to my pain. I have an appointment for and CT Scan on Wed which I'm hoping finds nothing and these pains will fade away to a distant memory.

Here's to hoping!
Lisa (aka Phantom)
Unread 01-27-2009, 02:05 PM

I have phamtom pain where my right ovary was--sharp stabbing that lasted only seconds and went on for 3 days. And I've had cramps too. If I sit too long at my computer, its gets uncomfortable! But its sure better than the pain I had before having everything out.
Unread 01-27-2009, 08:53 PM

I'm experiencing the same aching, dull pain near my right ovary that caused me to go in to get checked last year in the first place... reading all of your comments, I'm hoping it's not the sign of adhesions forming there now. I went back to work last Monday, and while I have been working my butt off (57 hours last week and actually working at home now), I haven't been moving or anything. Just sitting and writing at the computer. Ouch.

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.