HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hormone Issues (HRT - No HRT) > No Ovaries - No Hormones - Managing Menopause

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

Unread 09-20-2008, 03:23 PM
Hair loss

I had tab/bso in June. My hair is falling out. I think at this rate I;m seriously going to beg my Dr. to put me on some very light hormones. She said she doesn't want to becuase of cervical ca I had. But I truly don't want to go bald either. I haven't found any answers about what to do for hair loss, but if you do please post it on this forum and I'll do the same. good luck!!!
Unread 09-21-2008, 02:35 PM
Hair loss

My hair shed for 6 months after my surgery, and I used a shampoo and conditioner called Nioxin. I found it helped a lot, plus I took fish oil capsules.
I went back to my gyn and asked him what was up and he said any time a woman has an interruption of hormones, either adding, withdrawing , etc. that in some women it affects their hair follicles. He said if it has not stopped around 6 months, see your dermatologist because they are the doctors that treat this and get to the specific hormone imbalance.

Hopefully your body will adjust from shock of less hormones and your hair will stop shedding.

Hang in there

s
Unread 09-22-2008, 08:42 PM
Hair loss

SuzyQ23 thank you so much for sharing. I already am taking fish oil capsules. Could you tell me where to find Nioxin? I'd be very greatful. I'll try anything @ this point. My head is starting to hurt from being in a ponytail for so long.
Unread 09-22-2008, 08:50 PM
Hair loss

I got mine at a beauty supply store. You can also get it at some salons. They are a little expensive , but worth it. I got it in a set so it was cheaper than if it was sold individually.

You might Google the name, and see were else they are sold.

s
Unread 09-24-2008, 02:38 AM
Hair loss

Thanks suzyQ23, I'm going to go buy some. I hope it works.
Unread 09-24-2008, 03:54 PM
Hair loss

addiemae
I love the Nioxin line of products. I recently started having an issue with hair loss again. I had heard about the Nioxin line, it did help. I buy mine from Ulta, watch for coupons in your Sunday paper. And if you sign up for their card they send some great coupons thru the mail, such as 20% off your total purchase. They also have 2 for 1 specials from time to time.
Unread 09-24-2008, 04:45 PM
Hair loss

Hey Addiemae,

I am so sorry you are dealing with so much! I too, am struggling with hair loss and have a recent post that many sisters have responded to. I am going to give you the link as it may be helpful.

http://www.hystersisters.com/vb2/sho...8&page=1&pp=10

Hugs,
Tracy
Unread 09-24-2008, 05:38 PM
Hair loss

addiemae,
Here is another thread from our archives that has some helpful info about hair loss The Hair Report

Unread 09-25-2008, 10:57 AM
Hair loss

Just an fyi, I have this problem too already and just browsing in Wal-mart today I saw they have a generic of nioxin (sp) for around 19 dollars. I believe the real thing was around 38.

I've already invested in some!
Unread 09-25-2008, 12:27 PM
Hair loss

I had a terrible battle with hair loss after my subtotal hys. January 2007. My hair started to break off about 2 months after the surgery and continued until January 2008. I tried everything from shampoos and conditioners to vitamins. Nothing worked! It had to run it's coarse. Now it's back to normal and growing back nicely. Give it some time and hopefully it'll correct itself. It's depressing though.

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.