Help! Is Hysto is right Option for me? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Help! Is Hysto is right Option for me? Help! Is Hysto is right Option for me?

Unread 09-25-2008, 08:46 AM
Help! Is Hysto is right Option for me?

Hello New Sisters,
I am a 31 year old mother of 2. Last Month, my OB/GYN to my surprise recommended I get a hysterectomy-Removal of my uterus, cervix and possibly 1 ovary.

I went to get a 2nd opinion. The 1st doctor told me I had polyps on my uterus. The 2nd doctor (the one who performed my tubal ligatomy) thought I had either very large polyp...or a large fibroid high ontop my uterus. He said it was hard to distinguish just from a sonogram. He doesn't recommend birth control or hormone therapy because of my previous medical history(high risk of cervical cancer that runs in my family). The most it will do is shrink it, and my pains and bleeding might decrease. But this would not be a long term or definite solution and it will drastically increase the chances of pre cancerous cells reoccurring (I've already had a LEEP procedure). Given that this runs strong in my family he does not recommend. In addition to that, I have something (I cant remember the medical term) in my uterine wall. They can try to scrap this out, but the way its located they will not be able to remove the whole thing. He also said that he suspects that I might have (cant remember what specifically) a growth on one of my ovaries in addition to it not functioning right, or at all. Again, he suggested a hormone therapy as another option but ultimately he strongly recommends that I have the surgery given that I've already had my tubes tied. My uterus is just causing problems and its not like I need it anymore. He said that when they go in there, they are going to look at both ovaries and if need be...remove the one they suspect is troublesome (if they do, I would not need hormone. My remaining ovary will produce the hormones I need). But that is the worst case scenario.

What he told me makes perfect sense. I feel so relieved that they can finally do something and now I don't feel its so drastic. I have been having since high school. Im tired of dealing with it and other things I have going on. Endometriosis, pre-cancerous cells, Fibroids, Cysts, the things on my uterus wall, polyps, bleeding in between periods, very heavy discharge for since puberty, heavy periods every other month, very severe pinching pains...etc I'm gonna do the surgery and be done with it. I'm still not if I am going to have this recommended hystorecamy. I am still doing alot of research on it so I am fully informed. Of course I know with surgery and specifically this type of surgery there might be complications and side effects and all that. But to me...that outweighs how I currently feel and what ive been dealing with on and off for years.

I am new to this site and this is my first post ever. Anyway, I am writing in hopes that other women in similar shoes can provide me with some opinions and thoughts.
I hope I can help anyone else out there who is uncertain if a Hystorectamy is right for them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-26-2008, 09:25 PM

Hi Sazhane,

Welcome to the site! It sounds like you've been dealing with your female issues for quite awhile & are at peace with your decision. This is the most important factor in this process. You have to be okay with it, no one else. I, too, just got to a point where I was tired of having my life ruled by the side effects of diseased female organs. It also seems like with your family history, you have even more reason to do this. For me, my hysterectomy outcome is a positive one. I am pain free & feel 10 years younger! I wish the same results for you!

Blessings,
Sue
Unread 09-29-2008, 08:31 AM

Thank you so much for your reply Sue. I am actually considering not doing the hyst until I get a little more info from my doctor. It just seems to me that a hyst is a big step to take for things that are a nusance to me. Either that, or I am in denial. I have a hormonal inbalance which is why I cannot take meds for what I have. Some family members tell me to suck it up and live with whatever I have. Im not in any real pain, but just feel like my there is something wrong with my female organs (aside from my doctors confirming this). So I am really confused. I guess if I knew more about the side effects, then it would make it an easier decision for me. Im fine with going under for surgery, but I need to know what it will be like AFTER. What are the side effects, am I going to go into early menopause because I will only have 1 ovary? Hot Flashes, vaginal dryness, what about intercourse? lol. So many questions......lol.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-29-2008, 10:43 PM

Hello Sazhane

I'm glad that you have chosen this site to hear about other womens situation. I really can not give you medical advice but I am 35 years old with one child. I was experiencing spotting between my menstrual starting this year 2008. My menstrual have always been heavy and I had a heavy discharge; I would have to wear a panty liner because of the discharge and I was that way since puberty as well but as I got older it got worse. I was told that my uterus was larger than what it should be and that I had fibroids.(10 years ago). I did nothing 2 years ago I was told that I no longer had fibroids. Then my periods became more abnormal and I started spotting between my periods. I was so tired of buying maxi pads. I went to the doctors and they did an intravaginal ultrasound and saw that my uterine walls were thick and I had a small polyp. A biopsy was done of my uterus and I was told I had atypical cells (abnormal cells). Another biopsy was done a month later same results. I then had a D&C two weeks later same results. My doctor told me atypical cells could mean cancer and he suggested that I have a hysterectomy. I was very doubtful of doing this because I wanted more children and they weren't sure about what was going on. I did research to find out about atypical cells trying to get an understanding about what was going on I did not want to accept it. I was worried about going through menopause I was scared to have major surgery based on an assumption but then I would look at my beautiful child and desire so deeply to be here for her and I weighed the options about doing it versus not doing it and it was heavy. I was scheduled for the surgery and I talked myself out of it the day before I called and canceled.Some days went by and in my heart I knew something was wrong with me and I needed to find out. I talked to my family, my pastor and I prayed about. I tried to get a second opinion but it seemed that everyone I called was backed up and I did not want to wait for a month or two then finally I decided to see a gyno that I saw as a teenager(after my mother reminded me). I called her and got a second opinion and she was good. She explained everything to me in detail and how serious this could be and my uterus was not worth the risk. A few days later I rescheduled my surgery. Too shorten this story I went in for a hysterectomy but they had to do a radical hysterectomy, removal of both ovaries,fallopian tubes, 17 lymphnodes and stomach wash. It was done laparoscopic therefore my insensions are very small. Because unfortunately I did have cancer it was sitting in the fundus of the uterus (on the top) and that is why they could not detect it with scrapings or with a scope( some conditions of the uterus is not known until they can take it out to exam it). Fortunately it was still in an early stage but it did invade the uterine muscle and I have to undergo further treatments. Its been alittle over six weeks since surgery; scars are almost invisable doing normal activities but still knowing my limits. Hot flashes yes but they only last a few seconds for me. I was worried about vaginal dryness and was alittle embarrassed about having sex but I did this past weekend and honey I was like a virgin again and I was not dry to say the least and I had both ovaries,tubes and cervix removed. I know some women have experienced that but most women that I've talked to don't but if it does happened we have ky jelly and other products to use but ask your doctor what product would be best. Best part no more maxi pads, no more menstrual, no more menstrual cramps. I did get slight menstrual symptoms and my breast was tender when it came around that time of the month but it was very minimal. Carefully think about your options and do what's best for not only you but for your family. I hope that everything goes well.

God bless you sweetie
Unread 09-30-2008, 04:41 AM

Sazhane,

Like Corine, everything had to go for me due to a cancer diagnosis. But I was post menopausal, and I cannot take HRT due to a sister with BRCA.

I have experienced some menopausal symptoms but they have not been bad. Having had 12 years of hot flashes doing menopause Mother Nature's way, I can tell you that this time was not bad at all. And, many hystersisters are able to take low doses/other forms of HRT even if full-fledged HRT is not for them. I would encourage you to talk to your doctor about what symptoms you might expect and what your dr recommends for handling them, if needed.

I have had no complications or side effects aside from a little granulation which my dr said was part of the normal healing process and required only one silver nitrate treatment in his office.

Best wishes to you as you make your decision.
Unread 09-30-2008, 06:59 AM

Thank you all for your detailed advice. This has really been helpful to me. I am going to try and maybe get a 3rd opinion, or at least get another consultation with my regular OBGYN so he can go into more detail. This time I might bring my husband with me becaue I tend to miss alot of the information he gives me.

Again...Thank you all. I will keep you posted on my final decision.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register