HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

Too young to have hysterectomy (age 32)? Too young to have hysterectomy (age 32)?

Unread 10-05-2008, 06:06 AM
Too young to have hysterectomy (age 32)?

I just joined this forum hoping I can find some advise and feedback from women in the same situation; I already feel better knowing I am not the only one (of course!) going through hysterectomy. I am 32 years old and already have three kids, I did tubal ligation 4 years ago, so having kids is no longer a concern...my doctor has suggested hysterectomy to take care of my uterine problems. I even had to go to the ER on 09/14 and had a blood transfusion because I was so anemic. I have fibroids and Adenomyosis.
I think hysterectomy would be the definite cure for me, but deep inside, I feel so anxious and scared... I have been feeling very sad and not as myself for the last 3 weeks...
I can't wait to go back to my old self and I am hoping this procedure will solve my uterine issues..
How has anyone cope with the fear and anxiety before the surgery? any advise would be so much help!!

Ana
Unread 10-05-2008, 07:13 AM

Hi! I am 30 and just had my hyster on Sept 24. I feel better than I have felt in YEARS. I was in constant pain from the endo.

However, coping with the anxiety before surgery, I am NO HELP, LOL.. I OBSESSED with EVERYTHING. Up until the moment I was wheeled into the op room, I was panicking, LOL. But, I KNEW it was for the best. Hang in there, you will get through this.
Unread 10-05-2008, 07:20 AM

Hiya!

I'm in a very similar position ~ I just turned 33, have two boys (10 and 12 years old) and had a tubal 10 years ago. Our reasons for the surgery are different, tho ~ I'm having a TVH/urethral sling due to complete uterine prolapse and bladder complications. I'm not sure what to advise you about your fears... I am so looking forward to my procedure that I can't quite wrap my head around anything else!!

I will say, tho, that the worry and fear does seem to be a very common effect of learning that you have to have a hysterectomy. With all of the health problems your uterus has caused you, the silver lining might be the fantastic freedoms you will most certainly enjoy after you are all healed. Some of the ladies here have had wonderful doctors who prescribed them something for the few days before their surgeries; just something to help keep them calm and peaceful and to help them sleep. Remember that stress plays a big role in your recovery. Maybe your doctor would be willing to do this for you. Try to focus on the positives that you already are aware of: relief from pain and the threat of having more transfusions.

Remember that we are here for you! Just ask and we will do our best to help and support you! Good luck and bright blessings!
Unread 10-05-2008, 07:53 AM

I'm 34 and have three kids. Hubby had the snip almost seven years ago. I knew pregnancies were done. Our last child was adopted. I'd adopt again in a heart beat. So you'd think with my having two bio. children and knowing adoption is such a good fit in our family, how could I possibly be concerned with never having a child myself anymore?? I think for me is the lost of that slim chance, that some month God would have this huge surprise for us.. I think I need to start counting the blessings in my life and try not to think of 'what could/might/or by slim chance could have been'

Don't get me wrong, my surgery can't get here soon enough! I need it to get here fast because I too haven't been myself since I learned of the need. My emotions are ALL over the board!! I'm dragging around, feeling like I already have restrictions on what I can do (I know, totally in my head), one minute mad, one minute scared, one minute feeling totally overwhelmed (regardless of the subjects), happy hasn't been in the mix.....

Feel like I'm going a little crazy sometimes...
Unread 10-05-2008, 12:27 PM

I'm 31 and 3 1/2 weeks post-op. Doctor was concerned about my age and the fact that I didn't have any children. But after hubby and I had our consultation, he was convinced that we were of sound mind and that we really wanted me to be well ... that was first and foremost.
Unread 10-05-2008, 02:21 PM

My situation is very similar, 3 boys (2,4,6), tubal ligation with last c-section. I am 35. I think the thing I feared most was not coming out of the surgery & leaving my kids without a mom. It is a scary time but things will be ok. Just prepare ahead of time, line up plenty of help & get it over with, if you decide that a hysterectomy is the right thing for you. I just kept telling myself that I'd be able to be a better mom & wife, etc if I were not so miserable for so many days per month.
I'm 2 weeks post & have had some recovery issues - but not really related to the hysterectomy. Things are starting to look up and it has not been near as bad as I'd expected. I keep telling myself that it's a small price to pay for the relief I will have.
Good luck!
Unread 10-05-2008, 04:11 PM

I thought I was young to have my hysterectomy at 36, but after reading the post " Age at time of hysterectomy" http://www.hystersisters.com/vb2/sho...7&page=1&pp=10
it showed me that there are MANY women as young as early 20's that are having theirs done.

I suppose there are varied reasons for becoming a Princess Mine was due to a severe prolapse - and yes, I did hear a lot "but you're so young to be having these problems" but at the end of the day, regardless of age I was having "these problems' and they needed fixing.

Sometimes our bodies have their own plans.....best of luck with your hyster journey, continue seeking support from all of us here, we are there for you
Unread 10-05-2008, 04:34 PM

I scheduled my surgery as soon as possible and had little fear and anxiety. Unfortunately, I had to push back my surgery for six months while I save up for childcare for my children since my family cannot help me. For me, delaying the surgery has mean more of a battle with fear. The only thing that gives me peace is putting everything into place. Our wills, organizing our bills and important paperwork, working on my relationship with God and getting more involved in church- these are all things I'm doing that are helping me to feel better. It is all in God's hands now.

Additionally, I read a statistic on here that scared me to death. Someone said that 1 in 1000 hysterectomies end in death. Well, I ran that by my OB and he explained that this statistic includes cancer patients and a lot of other people struggling with various illnesses.

These are not the odds that I am facing in my situation and it doesn't sound like you are either, Ana. Our risk is much, much lower. He told me that hysterectomies are much more common than I though. That's comforting when you think that it is a surgery that is performed every day in many hospitals. And our younger age also improves our odds (and recovery). So that made me feel better about having to do this knowing that I have these beautiful small children counting on me.

Hope that helps you like it did me.
Unread 10-05-2008, 04:34 PM

I'm 30 and i have 8 children (yes all mine).. and it messed up my insides and was making my life misserable with the bleeding all the time and being anemic .. making it hard to do anything ... and i came to the point that i was sick of bleeding all the time and i wanted it to stop ...
i did the LAVH on sept 19th and i know it was the best thing i could have ever done... have not bled at all since the surgery.. not i just need to heal and that will come with time
the worst part of everything was the waiting ... i would just try to not think about it too much cause if i did i would go coo coo
Unread 10-05-2008, 06:32 PM

Ana, I had to reply to your post. When I was 32 and suffering terribly with adenomyosis, endo and fibroids my doctor recommended a hyster then, as he tried to remove my fibroids only to find one was positioned in a way that could not be safely removed. At the time my children were 4yo and 5yo twins so you can imagine that I was done having kids.

Anyway I was so scared and frightened that I chickened out of the surgery and suffered for another eight years of pain, bleeding, anaemia, missing out on having fun and doing stuff with my kids when it was "that time". I finally decided this year to bite the bullet and get myself better. I am now 9 weeks post op and I have to tell you the worst thing about the whole experience was the waiting and working myself up into a total mess. I too was not myself for the whole two months wait up to the surgery - I think that is to be expected - be kind to yourself and acknowledge that you are facing a huge life event that can only make things better.

Good Luck.

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.