HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

vein is hard and sore at wrist vein is hard and sore at wrist

Unread 10-06-2008, 02:16 AM
vein is hard and sore at wrist

hi,
I'm 17 days post -op and I noticed a pain in my left wrist.
the vein is hard and sore. it almost feels like something is in there.
I'm pretty sure this isn't true, but since this is the hand that they placed the IV in, it kind of scares me.
I was wondering if anyone else experienced this.
do you have any advice on what I should do.
will it go away soon, or should I have a doctor look at it?
Unread 10-06-2008, 04:48 AM

It sounds like phlebitis. The blood can clot in the vein, and is usually reabsorbed by the body after a couple of weeks. But if it's sorer now than it was, or red and inflamed, check with your doctor. Hopefully it won't be serious, but it's better to find out. I have still got a little bit of a lump left in my hand, but it was about 1.5 inches long. I asked my doctor, and she said that they're usually not anything to worry about, but to watch it and if it wasn't getting better, call her. There is an article under Post-op that explains it better.
Unread 10-06-2008, 06:23 AM

I had pain for weeks after my surgery where they placed the iv on my hand. show it to your doctor on your next visit or call your doctor or nurse and see what they tell you.
Unread 10-06-2008, 07:14 AM

I had the same thing after my surgery. It was like a little hard marble feeling. I could actually move it around.

I am now 4.5 weeks post op and it is gone.
Unread 10-06-2008, 07:18 AM

I'm 6 weeks post op and still have a tiny place thats hard. Not really sore anymore. Its about an inch below where my iv was,right next to that little bone in my wrist.
Unread 10-06-2008, 07:45 AM

saystine

I experienced the same thing, too ~ phlebitis (inflammation of the vein) ~ and it took about 2-3 months to resolve completely in my case.

Have you found our <link> Post-Op Page yet? It's packed with information for your recovery, including an article on this very subject.

Please don't hesitate to contact your doctor, however, if you're at all concerned. Sending all good wishes!

Unread 10-06-2008, 09:57 AM

You should call your dr. I had the same thing and it was a blood clot. It was not anything major, but they may want to do an xray to make sure.
Unread 10-06-2008, 02:12 PM

thanks so much. this was my first major surgery,
and it is just full of surprises for me. I'm so glad
I found this forum that helps me find answers!

thank you!
Unread 10-06-2008, 04:29 PM

I had the same thing and was told probably phlebitis. They said to take something like advil for pain and to use very warm/hot wet compresses on it.
I actually had the same thing when I had a different surgery 12 yrs ago. Both went away, but took a while.
Unread 10-06-2008, 05:31 PM

Not to alarm you, but you definately need to get it checked. i had a blood clot in my arm where i received the chemo infusions for breast cancer back in Feb this year. My entire rt. arm was red and the vein was hard and cordlike up and down the arm. I got a ultrasound of the arm, and it was a blood clot. It is definately curable and they just gave me blood thinners for 3 months and it went away, all is well. I just had a hysterectomy 3 weeks ago, and they put the IV in the chemo arm and i had swelling in my hands and arm when i was in the hospital. I was afraid it was a blood clot, but everything cleared up in 2 days. My veins are small and i think the IV fluid went in too fast. It may not be a clot, but i would get it checked.

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.