HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Separate Surgeries

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. Join us today!

Throat and neck sore from intubation ~ any advice? Throat and neck sore from intubation ~ any advice?

Unread 10-08-2008, 06:05 PM
Throat and neck sore from intubation ~ any advice?

Had my surgery yesterday.....they were able to do it laporoscopy....left the uteres in but both ovaries are gone.....I had bad endo on both......so it ended up being day surgery....I'm home, very sore, my shoulders back and under my ribcage hurt, they interbated me and my throat and neck are so sore, more sore than the incisions from the lap......any advice would be appreciated......so wiped out and tired.....taking oxycodone, and motrin......
Unread 10-08-2008, 07:54 PM
sore throat

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgchesbos
they interbated me and my throat and neck are so sore, more sore than the incisions from the lap......any advice would be appreciated
Hot tea with honey helped my sore throat a lot. Also I was allowed a non-electrical heating pad (that can be put in the microwave).

Feel better
Unread 10-09-2008, 10:13 AM

mgchesbos

I'm sorry you're experiencing this.

If you try a Google Search of HysterSisters (towards the top right of every page) you'll find many similar experiences to read through. Here's a link to one thread to start you off which I hope will help: http://www.hystersisters.com/vb2/sho...ghlight=throat.

Sending all good wishes for a smooth recovery!

Unread 10-09-2008, 12:58 PM

I had a TAH in Oct. 2006, and all went very well. One of the BEST decisions I have ever made in my life! However, 2 years (almost to the date) I had to go in for left ovary removal. They discovered 17 adhesions which were causing major problems for me. All was done laporoscopically.

I went home with a SEVERE sore throat from the tube during surgery. Also, the pain you're describing in neck, shoulder, and under ribs. This is caused by the C02 gas they pump in to your abdomen to make it easier for the docs to see the organs. This will pass in a few days. My dog knocked me flat on my back the day after I had surgery, and it dislodged a gas bubble up under my ribs. I couldn't breathe for 24 hours if I laid flat on my back and had to sleep standing up.

What I found to work for me was this:
For the sore throat, I got those Popsicles that were in the plastic tubes (Otter pops is one brand name). That helped a lot, as well as drinking a ton of cold water. It will get better.

For the pain in my shoulder/chest/ribcage, I couldn't do much about. I took my Oxycodone (which it turned out I was allergic to - how fun!) and kept the areas warm (as suggested with the warm towel in the microwave). That took a bit longer to pass, but once it does you'll feel a LOT better.

DO NOT TRY TO DO TOO MUCH!!! That's what caused my adhesions in the first place. Take it easy and slow! I can't stress enough how important that is.

Best of luck to you, and I'm so sorry that you're going through all of this, too. Know that you are NOT alone, and there are others out there who care about your well being.

Sincerely,
Mellybug
Unread 10-09-2008, 08:41 PM

I had the sore throat too after my surgery. I coughed alot too. My belly button realllllly hurt when I coughed, that was the worst for me. To help with the throat irritation my DH brought me some lifesavers to suck on. It helped very much.

I did not have the neck/ribcage/shoulder pain so I do not know what to tell you about that.

Please take care of yourself and rest, rest, rest. That is the best thing you can do for yourself right now. The first few days are really the worst. It does get much better after that, but remember, you still just had surgery, even if you fell better, so you must rest and take care of yourself.

Wishing you all the best in your recovery!
Unread 10-09-2008, 09:12 PM

Oh I remember the gas! Eeek! Not a lot you can do about that besides let it work its way out! HUGS!

On the sore throat thing I too did lots of popsicles...fortunately I did not have it with my latest surgery but did with the previous two. Oddly enough, I actually remembered to tell the anesthesiologist that I had TMJ so I think maybe it helped because he was a little more gentle!!!

Praying for your speedy recovery!!!
Unread 10-12-2008, 08:31 AM

Hey there...after my EA in Feb. 2006 my neck and shoulders and throat hurt so badly that I called the on call doctor to make sure something wasn't very wrong. He told me that the position they put me in for the EA and the intubation caused it. Basically the hike you up with your head down and legs in the air, cocked way back, etc. Unfortunately you just have to work through it with the oxycodone and Motrin. The gas certainly doesn't help things; I depended on the Gas-X strips and using stool softeners helps too. Good luck!

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.