HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysteritaville - Wellness Post Hysterectomy > Hysteritaville General Discussions

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

Just got out of the hospital for emergency gallbladder removal Just got out of the hospital for emergency gallbladder removal

Unread 10-09-2008, 06:10 PM
Just got out of the hospital for emergency gallbladder removal

Hi ladies,

I ended up in the ER Sunday morning with a gallbladder attack that lasted 24 hrs. My blood test came back elevated, so I was sent to the hospital and was told to prepare myself for surgery. Had an ultrasound done at the hospital that showed many gallstones. Met with the Surgeon on call and he took my gallbladder out that afternoon and sent me to my room about 4pm. He came in and explained what happened and told me that I would have to get another procedure done the next morning (Monday) to remove a stone that was blocking my bile duct. Went through that procedure Monday and it was a success. However, I fell ill that evening and my blood work the following day showed that my pancreas was inflammed, my liver counts were up and that my sugar was extremely high. Was put back on an IV with antibiotics and fluids on Tuesday and stayed on one until this morning. I was released from the hospital and sent home.

I am still in pain and concerned. Some of my counts were supposed to be in the 250 range and they were elevated to 10,000 from Tuesday until this morning. They have dropped a good bit but are still high. The Surgeon said that they are at theraputic levels and I'm not in any danger and that they will continue to decline over the next couple of days.

I never realised how dangerous having a blocked bile duct was! It has been two years between my hysterectomy and this surgery, and I pray that I do not have to have another surgery in the future!
Unread 10-18-2008, 03:31 AM

You're in my thoughts. January this year I had the same thing (went to ER admitted for Gallbladder, surgery next day, procedure to remove bile duct stone the following day, another couple days stay for high liver counts). You're definitely on my heart as you recover.

A friend and I were chatting about gall bladders and hysterectomies. Do you notice a lot of women have these procedures not too far apart from each other? I wonder if there is a connection (does one make the other condition worse??). Hmm. Just curious.

you take care of you and heal!

Hugs,
Buzylady
Unread 10-18-2008, 05:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzylady
A friend and I were chatting about gall bladders and hysterectomies. Do you notice a lot of women have these procedures not too far apart from each other? I wonder if there is a connection (does one make the other condition worse??). Hmm. Just curious.Buzylady
What an interesting thought....
After a little reading I found that the link between the two is either coincidental, that gallbladder disease is common in women, and it occurs mostly at the same age when women are likely to need a hysterectomy. So it makes sense to do the hysterectomy and gallstone removal at the same time.
OR
that estrogen therapy increases the risk of gallstone formation and inflammation of the gallbladder. So, for women who are on estrogen hormone therapy after their hysterectomy, gallbladder disease is more likely to occur. So maybe that's why you see: hysterectomy = gallbladder issues???

However, I can't explain an acute attack immediately after a hysterectomy.
Maybe someone else will come along and inform us
Unread 10-28-2008, 12:29 PM

I know what you mean about having gallbladder surgery and a hyster. Sept 18 I had my gallbladder removed.
Didn't have any problems after surgery except pain.
I had sand and small stones. Then on Oct 15 I had my
hyster and cystocele and rectocele done. I'm feeling much
better but am finding out I can't eat raw onions anymore without my side hurting.
I'm having to catheter myself every 3 hours because i can't go to the bathroom on my own. I go back to the doctor on Thursday. What a mess. But it could be worse.
Unread 10-30-2008, 05:17 AM

Hi everyone, not sure if this info will help but I actually had my gallbladder out 5 1/2 months after having my first ds. This was 15 years ago almost to the day. Back then there was discussion that c-sections seem to make women have gall bladder surgery and I personally know 2 other women that had the same thing happen. I never had any gall bladder problems before that. I have one friend who ended up having her gall bladder out 10 days after having a c-section and same thing no problems before the c-section. However, no tests have been done to confirm this. Also wanted to let you know I ended up having pancreatitis and my enzyme levels were in the thousands. I ended up being in the hospital for this 11 days because every time they tried to put me on solid food, the enzyme levels would go back out. I finally convinced my dr to let me check out of the hospital with careful checks on his part. They did return to the correct level after a few more days. Don't know if this helps anyone but thought it might be interesting about the corralation between c-sections and gall bladder and now hysterectomy and gall bladder. Hope everyone is feeling a little better. Take care. I also hope the discussion about c-sections did not upset anyone.
Unread 10-30-2008, 05:26 AM

I am 58 and when my gyn onc prepared me for my hysterectomy, I was told they would take out my gallbladder at the same time if it looked bad when they got in there. Two surgeries for the price of one! So far, my gallbladder is still with me.

I have had two friends who had their gallbladder removed in their early 30's, my mom was in her late 40's when hers was going to be removed, and my stepmother had hers removed in her 70's. I understand the correlations that others have observed, but it seems that gallbladders can act up at any age. My sympathies to all who have had gallbladder attacks, as I hear they are very painful.
Unread 10-30-2008, 05:05 PM

I went for the 2-for-1 surgery. When the surgeon went in to remove the tumor and hysterectomy, he checked my gallbladder and found a huge stone. Since I was already opened up, he went ahead and took it out at the same time. One surgery, one recovery. One less thing to go wrong in the future!

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.