HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Pelvic Floor and Bladder Issues

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. Join us today!

Sutures not dissolving = granulation??? Sutures not dissolving = granulation???

Unread 10-14-2008, 04:09 PM
Sutures not dissolving = granulation???

Had vag hyst with prolapse repair in June and my dissolvable sutures don't want to dissolve! Has anyone had experience with this? It is a problem for me because I am having granulation issues over the site of the sutures. I had my second round of silver nitrate two weeks ago. The first time I was fine two days later but this time have been uncomfortable the whole time but the burning pain in my bottom has lessened. I go back next week but how crazy is this? So ready to be done with problems and the doctor said this last time should take care of it but obviously not feeling that way! Any experience girls?
Unread 10-14-2008, 07:33 PM

Are you sure they are disolvable? My dr said mine were and they weren't. I had to remove them myself.
Unread 10-17-2008, 02:15 AM

I went through a nightmare when my stitches wouldn't dissolve. My doctor and I got into a very heated situation over this very issue. He admitted me to the hospital, had me consult with a general surgeon who agreed with me that it was a gyn problem.

The day after the general surgeon consult, my gyn came into see me, asked me about the consult, and scheduled me for surgery at the end of his day that Friday. He removed a few of my vaginal stitches, losened a few up because the cuff was not fully healed yet and cleaned up some granulation. I also think this was the surgery he had to redo my lap incision through the navel because of the stitches and it not healing. Went home on oral morphine alternating with Demerol. That is how bad the situation with the stitches had gotten

Unfortunately for me that was not my only problem, it was a temporary fix. 3 weeks later I was in the OR to find out why the pain got worse. Not only were my stitches a problem, but I had an adhesion adhering my colon to my vaginal cuff.

My immune system viewed the dissolving stitches as a foreign body. My doctor said that was the first time he had ever seen stitches not dissolve appropriately. Of course I have been his first for many not so normal things.

I hope that you and your doctor get this figured out.

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.

Summer Fun Giveaway