HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   HysterSisters Hysterectomy > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

Notices

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. Join us today!

Vaginal Dilators Vaginal Dilators

Unread 10-15-2008, 03:24 PM
Vaginal Dilators

I am about to finish my radiation treatments (external radiation, for uterine cancer). I had a follow-up appointment with my oncologist today, and after my pelvic exam, he recommended that I get a vaginal dilator - no problems yet, but I'm starting to get a bit sore and tender in the back of my vagina (more than I was just after surgery), and he thinks this would help.

The problem that I'm having is that I can't find any that are small enough. I have always been small - I'm still a virgin (yeah, the 38 year old virgin) and according to my gyn, if you keep your hymen for that long, it sometimes gets tougher and therefore your vagina is a bit narrower. I've had this problem in the past, when I tried to buy a vibrator - even the small ones are too large for me.

Anyway, the smallest dilator that the doctor had was still too big - it fit, but it was painful, even with lubrication. The doctor said that he might be able to order a smaller one, but he wasn't sure how long it would take (or even if he could find one). And if I had to special order one, I'd have to pay for it, then possibly get reimbursed - I'd rather just spend the money and order it myself online, rather than wait who knows how long for the doctor to get one. (I like my doctor, but "speed" is not his middle name. I can imagine it taking months.)

I've been looking around online, but most of the ones that I've found have the same problem - even the smallest one is at least 7/8" or 1" in diameter, and that's just too big. I know that smaller ones must exist, because they use them for children, but it's hard to find them. Any suggestions on where I might look?

Karen
Unread 10-15-2008, 03:50 PM
Vaginal Dilators

I'm sorry I don't have any suggestions. I just wanted to congratulate you coming this far! And I have a friend who is 39 about to turn 40 and she too is still a virgin. The only other place, other than online to look would be at an adult store. I know that is embarassing, maybe call in advance and ask them to check the sizes so you don't waste a trip into the store.
Unread 10-15-2008, 05:27 PM
Vaginal Dilators

I will share with you an idea my gyn had. It's a very practical starting point until you can find something that works for you.

I had a couple of vaginal surgeries that just left me quite tiny and sore. Now, I was able to find a 3/4-inch vibrator at our local adult store (as embarrassed as I was to go in there), so I didn't need the suggestion. But even the 3/4-inch was sore at first. He said, though, that you can use candles. Start with a very small one and gradually work up to a larger diameter. Cover it with a condom and use lubricant. I had to look around for a while for a lubricant that worked for me (I have very sensitive skin anyway). You can find candles in all kinds of sizes, so it should be cheap to work up in size until you can get to the small vibrator size.

Good luck! I hope you find something that works for you!

Unread 10-15-2008, 05:34 PM
Vaginal Dilators

The smallest one I have is just bigger than a finger. I had to get a script from my doc and order them over the phone. They only come in a set of 4 sizes. I still have the shipping box upstairs, I'll pull it out tonight and get the company information.
Unread 10-15-2008, 07:23 PM
Vaginal Dilators

The vagina is very elastic and can be stretched. So you might begin with a small one that is somewhat uncomfortable but it won't be that way forever.

I was surprised to learn that they use vaginal dilators on children. I just can't imagine why a little girl would need that. Can you solve my curiosity on that one? As difficult as it is for grown women to use dilators, it seems even more awful for a child.

I wish I could help you with finding what you need. I would continue to search on the internet. Sorry that I am not of more help.

Janie
Unread 10-15-2008, 08:18 PM
Vaginal Dilators

Karen, the company I ordered mine from is call Syracuse Medical Devices Inc...I found their info online, however I wasn't able to find a website. They're pack is around $40 for 4. They are sizes x-small, small, med, and large. The x-small is about the width of a finger.

Syracuse Medical Devices Incorporated
214 Hurlburt Rd
Syracuse, NY 13224
(315) 449-0657

Janie, I would think it would be to help repair things from possible abuse. Unfortunately bring involved in sexual abuse forums, I've heard some horrid stories. In some of those situations, I could understand where a dilator would be helpful. (scar tissue and such)
Unread 10-15-2008, 08:20 PM
Vaginal Dilators

When I was looking for dilators on the internet, I ran across several medical sites that mentioned children. They're used for girls who are born with vaginas that are too short or are malformed. I don't think it's common, but it's one of the reasons dilators are used.

As far as size goes - I wouldn't mind using a dilator that was uncomfortable, but the one in my doctor's office was agonizingly painful. If you've ever had a doctor try to insert a speculum that was too big, you know how badly that can hurt.

Karen

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.