HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   HysterSisters Hysterectomy > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. Join us today!

Weight gain after enometrial ablation Weight gain after enometrial ablation

Unread 10-15-2008, 09:58 PM
Weight gain after enometrial ablation

Hi, I had an endometrial ablataion back in July, for heavy periods and irregular bleeding. I was not a candidate for a hysterctomy, as i have had 3 C-sections and 2 other abdomen surgeries= adhesions. The ablation was not painful and i recovered quickly, i still get periods, not so heavy and still some bleeding in between. I can handle all that, what i can't handle is the weight gain!! I have gained 10lbs since July, i am working out 5 times a week, and now on Weight Watchers, where i am usually very sucessful, but i can't seem to loose weight, even though i am very dedicated. It has all accumulated around my belly. Can anyone help, give me some insight. Thank you.
Unread 10-16-2008, 12:08 PM

Hi britmex

Thanks to Weight Watchers, I was actually at my thinnest at the time of my ablation & I didn't gain any weight after my E.A. I haven't heard of wt. gain being related to ablations, but I did gain weight after my LAVH/BSO. I too gained it around my belly this time - to which I attributed to a menopausal thing.

Check with your doctor to be sure you don't have something else going on... thyroid issues etc., and also perhaps meet with your WW instructor to have her review your intake and exercise plan. At one point I wasn't eating enough to be successful with the amount of exercise I had taken up.

Kudos to you for working toward better health. I hope things improve for you soon.

Gentle s
Beth
Unread 10-16-2008, 09:14 PM

Hi there, I also had an endometrial ablation 4 years ago. 2 years after the ablation I started gaining weight that I couldn't loose and developed quite a beer belly. I couldn't sit up straight and breath comfortably 5 weeks ago which was 4 years after the ablation. What happened to me was that the cervix scarred over, and the endometrium began to regenerate and cycle, but the blood couldn't pass through the cervix and so it just built up in the uterus. I of course, blamed myself for being lazy and unable to control my food intake adequately even though I was eating small meals and nothing in between, and exercising. I finally ended up with cysts in my fallopian tube which twisted and ended up causing incredible pain. Two ultrasounds were misread, but the latest one said there was endometrial polyps. My doc said she couldn't get in with a hysteroscope to remove them and so I needed a hysterectomy because they might be malignant. When they did the hyst they were shocked to find the uterus markedly inflamed and distended - full of old degenerated blood, the grossly abnormal fallopian tube and a pelvis that was markedly inflamed. Since the hyst 3 weeks ago I've lost over 18 lbs and my belly is just about flat! I feel much more alert and well other than post op nonsense. I already have lots more energy than I've had in years.
Moral of the story - see your doc and check it out!!
Unread 10-16-2008, 10:26 PM
weight gain and endometrial ablation

Thank you for all your replies on the weight gain issue and endometrial ablation. I will go and get it checked out with my doc. You are all so supportive, thank you

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.