HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. Join us today!

LSH and mini periods? Does this really happen? LSH and mini periods? Does this really happen?

Unread 10-21-2008, 10:00 AM
LSH and mini periods? Does this really happen?

I guess I am just looking on some insight on LSH and mini periods. I have been doing some research and reading a lot about LSH. I am for sure going to have the hysterectomy but at this point it is up to me which way I am going to do it

My frustration is that with the LSH and leaving my cervix there is a possibility of still having mini periods? If I am going to have my uterus taken out I don't want to have a period ever again no matter how mini it is. If this is common it might sway my decision towards to more invasive hysto. So confused

Any insight would be appreciated
Unread 10-21-2008, 11:46 AM

I'm having a LSH on Nov 10...and leaving my cervix. I had not heard about mini periods!!! Please more info! I just had what I thought was my last period and ditched all my tampons and pads!! LOL
Unread 10-21-2008, 12:06 PM

My daycare provider has about 2 episodes per year of light spotting. The lining of the cervix can still bleed sometimes - but she said it is light and only lasts a day or two
Unread 10-21-2008, 12:24 PM

i had my lsh on october 15, and had slight spotting afterwards for 2 days. before i had went in to the hospital i had asked my dr if i should buy any liners or anything to be prepared. she told me a few days of spotting after surgery is all i would have and i would be done with periods for the rest of my life. i also have never heard of mini periods. good luck on your decision, my lsh went great, i feel great and getting back to normal 6 days later! good luck!
Unread 10-21-2008, 02:35 PM

My doctor did say that I may experience very light cyclic bleeding after an LSH. (I think it was the day of my pre-op visit that he told me he had another patient that recently had an LSH and did experience this "mini-period".) He offered me the option of a Total Laparoscopic Hysterectomy. Same basic procedure as far as the minimally invasive part, but the cervix is removed. It would have extended my recovery time slightly.

There is a lot of controversy over whether or not to keep the cervix. I had another doctor I was consulting who definitely recommended keeping it for structural reasons, since there was no other indication why mine should be removed. The doctor who did my surgery said there were recent studies that said those weren't valid concerns. He said he would do either way, and the decision was up to me. On one hand, he recommended the total, but knew my desire for quicker recovery and agreed that I really didn't need more than the sub-total.

Also, keep in mind that most surgeons cauterize the cervix after an LSH to help minimize the chance of bleeding afterwards. Mine actually said he tends to "core out" the cervix to try to remove as much of the endometrial tissue as he can, and ended up cutting out about 1/4 of my cervix. As one doctor put it, there's no dotted line to cut on, so it's a judgment call how much to remove.

If it's a real concern for you, talk to your doctor about it. Ask how many procedures they have done, and how many patients still experience this cyclic bleeding. My doctors were more than happy to address this with me.
Unread 10-21-2008, 02:48 PM

I wondering if the cyclical bleeding ocurrs only if you don't have your ovaries removed?
Unread 10-21-2008, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trishd6
I guess I am just looking on some insight on LSH and mini periods. I have been doing some research and reading a lot about LSH. I am for sure going to have the hysterectomy but at this point it is up to me which way I am going to do it

My frustration is that with the LSH and leaving my cervix there is a possibility of still having mini periods? If I am going to have my uterus taken out I don't want to have a period ever again no matter how mini it is. If this is common it might sway my decision towards to more invasive hysto. So confused

Any insight would be appreciated
trishd6

With any hysterectomy procedure that leaves the cervix ~ and only if the ovaries are kept also ~ there's a very slight chance of cyclical bleeding or "mini-periods". However, most surgeons cauterise the cervix and so this doesn't happen for the majority.

My cervix was supposed to be removed but had to be left due to complications and wasn't cauterised. I experience the tiniest amount of spotting every month, for a day or so, that doesn't even require a liner anymore. Looking on the bright side, I like to use it as an indicator that my ovaries are still working!

I think the best thing you can do is discuss this with your doctor and double-check that s/he intends to cauterise your cervix.

Sending all good wishes!

Unread 10-21-2008, 04:46 PM

Hi Trishd6,

I had a LSH and it is still one of the best things I ever did for my long term health.

I am over 4 yrs. post-op now and I have not had any mini-periods. I had some normal post-op spotting right after my hyst and since then..I have not had any mini-periods. I had my cervix cauterized during my hyst so I might suggest you talk to your Dr. about it.

Sending best wishes~

Mary
Unread 10-21-2008, 04:55 PM

my dr cauterized my cervix and i dont have any mini periods. theres always a slight chance you can experience them if you keep your cervix and ovaries. from what i've read, its just light spotting..usually only visable when wiping. they arent really "periods".
Unread 10-21-2008, 06:38 PM

Thank you all for the comments it really helps to hear stories from other people. I now have a list of questions for my doctor before I schedule my LSH (1st week in Dec). I am so glad that I found this website it has def answered some of the questions/concerns. So thank you all!

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.