HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. Join us today!

My bladder hurts when I urinate! My bladder hurts when I urinate!

Unread 10-21-2008, 07:39 PM
My bladder hurts when I urinate!

I remember the night at the hospital when they took my catheter out...within 10 minutes or so, I had to pee really bad! When I finally situated myself on the toilet, I began to urinate. As it began to flow I started feeling this odd and painiful sensation. Of course, being hours out of surgery I never gave it a second thought that it could possibly be anything more than post op "normal" pains. Well, here it is, the official 1 week mark, and I am still feeling this pain when I urinate. It doesn't hurt when I feel the urge to go. Only when I sit down and actually begin urinating does it begin. It feels like the more I pee, the more it hurts. When I finish it hurts, but when I stop pushing, it stops hurting. It doesn't burn at all. It just hurts right where my bladder sits, so I can only assume that it is indeed my bladder. It feels really bruised, pressure filled and manipulated. The pain hasn't increased, but unfortunately it hasn't decreased either. Has anyone else felt this pain, and if so, does anyone know what the culprit could possibly be?
Unread 10-21-2008, 07:57 PM

Hi Whit,
I have the exact same thing going on right now! I went to the doc yesterday and she said it could be a bladder infection, gave me an antibiotic, took a urine sample and told me to come back on thurs as she would have the results and I should feel much better by then if it was a bladder infection. I told her that although I had never had a bladder infection it didn't really seem like one to me and I described to her exactly what you have described - pain in my bladder when I urinate getting worse as my bladder empties. I told her that it has been like this since my surgery. In fact my bladder was very painful the whole time that the catheter was in. She said that if the sample comes back negative she would send me for a pelvic ultrasound. I'll let you know, however, you should probably see your dr. too. Sorry I can't help more! Good luck and let me know what happens!
Karen
Unread 10-21-2008, 08:55 PM

Please get checked for a bladder infection.
I did have several after surgery, but even after they were cleared I still felt pain when I urinated, still does happen when I hold it to long and my surgery was early July, my doctor did let me know that the bladder moves when the uterus is removed and it can take several months for everything to settle.
Unread 10-21-2008, 09:51 PM

I had exactly the same pain for the 1st 2 weeks then it gradually went away, I would say it is now 95% better. My Dr explained that it is your bladder which is probably very bruised as they sometimes move the bladder out of the way and that it needs to find it own litttle niche again. I felt the worse pain at the point where my bladder became empty. Now I just get it occasionally. Drink lots of water and also take some cranberry juice if you can as this really helps with your urine and infections. Although drinking more makes you want to pee more, i found the more I went the easier it was.
Unread 10-21-2008, 10:16 PM

I had the same problem because I ended up with urinary retention twice this summer, once right after my sling was put in (I had the hyster the year before) and once about six weeks later. I ended up having a catheter for 8 days and then again for 11 days. The bulb in the bladder that holds the catheter in will rub on the inside of the bladder, which caused me pain while the cath was in but also caused pain while urinating - especially at the end of the flow - for several days after the cath was removed. Even at 4 months post op from the sling insertion, my bladder is cranky, which my urologist says is normal for about six months.
Hope this may help,
Kim
LSH 6/27/07
anterior repair and sling 6/17/08
Unread 10-22-2008, 05:37 AM

Hi,
My 4 week mark will be tomorrow. I noticed this sensation right away also. I just figured (and read on here) that it was because the bladder had nowhere to go since my uterus was removed and because this got all jumbled around during the surgery.
The sensation has indeed faded with time. I really don't notice it anymore. Just wanted to let you know that it will go away, unless you have something bigger going on.
Unread 10-22-2008, 07:35 AM

I am also still having this problem. I think it is getting worse though, not better. I have quite a bit of pain, especially after I am finished urinating. It doesn't feel like a UTI, just pain and almost like it is falling back down after I am done.
I did make a call to my Dr. this morning to see what is going on with this and a few other things. hopefully I will find something out. I quit waiting to see what happens aftr I ended up with an abscess in my 2 nd week postop.

Good luck and keep us posted.
Unread 10-23-2008, 09:53 AM

OOH Can I join this club?

I had my TAH on Sept. 8th and have had bladder pain when urinating ever since. It seems to be worse when I've "overdone it", and in the morning when my bladder is very full.

As a reflex this morning I put some pressure over the spot that hurts (right above the pelvic bone) with my hand when I went to the bathroom, and I could barely feel the pain (I moved my hand away, got the pain and so I put it back).

It feels better to do that, so I'm going to keep doing it for now. I go back to the Doctor for my next follow up on Nov 12th, so I'll bring it up to him then.

good luck to everyone
Unread 10-23-2008, 11:13 AM

I went back to the doctor today to get results, it was not a bladder infection. She is sending me for a pelvic ultrasound. I suggest that anyone having this pain see their doctor as she said that it shouldn't be painful and wants to get to the bottom of it asap.
All the best to all of you and thanks for 'listening'!
K
Unread 10-25-2008, 06:31 AM

Oh my God.... I had started feeling sorry for myself thinking I am the only person with this particular complication. I had my uterus and both ovaries removed on October 8th. Its now 17 days since operation and the pain during urinating is getting worse. I held myself for a short while yesterday afternoon and the pain got so bad that I could not even stand up to reach the bathroom. Doctor told me I need to release the urine there and then and if I can not, must call an ambulance to take me to emergency and do casthetrization. With out going into gory details, I manage to pass urine in a bowl on my sofa.....Urine test showed not infection, but the doctor prescribed two types of antibiotics and a vaginal capsule. Also he said i should drink lots of liquids and pass urine often. Both cranberry juice and beer are good. He also recommended I take a warm bath twice a day. I hope all this goes away soon cuz I have had a tough 17 days so far....

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.