HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. Join us today!

Laparoscopic hysterectomy Laparoscopic hysterectomy

Unread 08-13-2001, 10:49 PM
Laparoscopic hysterectomy

Hello Ladies, it has been really great reading all your post. Just a bit of info on my procedure, I had a Laparoscopic Hysterectomy done on the 31st of July for Endo, Tubes had been destroyed from Tubal Ligation 2 years ago and small fiboriods I also had an endemetriun ablation 1 year ago so no periods but cronic severe pain when ovulating and lasted for 2-3 weeks with twisting pain stopping me from walking. After seeing my local Dr and getting no help I had to keep going back until they said lets do some tests, (Like I was bothering them and they were just doing it to prove that it was all in my head) after an IVP for the Kidneys showing normal they sent me for a Colenoscopy and Gastroscopy, again normal I was sent for a Abdominal cat scan again normal. Finally I saw a Lady Dr and she sent me of to see a trusted Gyno who did a internal ultrasound there and then and after hearing my symptoms said here is your problem you have both your tubes clamped and you have back flow though both tubes and they have twisted and are swollen, he said there was no other solution but to have a hysterectomy. He also explained that he only does Lap/Hyst because the healing is so much quicker. 2 days in hospital and recovery 3 weeks because there is only 4 small insisions. Well he was right, I woke up feeling like a bus had ran over me but the next day I was up and walking, the only real pain was from the gas and constipation, the stitches were very sore for about 5 days and burning, but it is now 2 weeks later and have been riding my bike for nearly 1 week (SLOWLY) and doing everything normal, no pain since day 4 and that was more constipation than anything else and a bit from the stitches naturally, but what a great procedure! Is there any one who has had their op done this way, I would love to hear from you.
Take care everyone, thanks Taylah.
Unread 08-13-2001, 11:06 PM

I also had a LAVH - mine was done 07-24 and I am doing pretty well - nor as active as you are though it sounds like and I am wondering if it is ok to start to do more??

Are you vacuming yet??

deb
Unread 08-14-2001, 09:35 AM

I had my LAVH on March 1st. I was shopping with my mom after the first week! I felt absolutely great! I was able to vacuum, laundry, grocery shop (with help) and sit in our new spa with drs. blessing after the first week too. I never felt better and my dh even said I had more energy than ever before too!!

I think it is a wonderful procedure and I had hardly any pain after the surgery. I remember when I was being rolled into my room after recovery, the nurse asked me what my pain was on a scale of 0-10. Well, at that particular point in time, I had no pain, but I told them it was a 1. I couldn't believe I didn't have any pain!

Makes me wonder why I waited so long to have the procedure done.
Unread 08-14-2001, 03:54 PM

Hi Kelly, Thanks for your reply. Yes they asked me on a scale of 1 - 10 how the pain was and I actually couldn't say anything from feeling guilty about not being in pain, all I could honestly say was I was in great discomfort from the top of my stomache and felt very tense around the neck and sholders (Probably from they way they have you laying on the table in the OR) when you think about it you have been laying like that for over 1 1/2 hours then 1 hour in recovery. It is a fantastic way of doing the procedure and I was scared for nothing, like you, expecting the worst and now the only problem I have is healing nicely hopefuly no complacations. Is'nt it amazing how they get all that out of you from those little incisions on your tummy??

Kept both overies as well, also had cervix removed from endo.
Unread 08-14-2001, 04:28 PM

hello taylah
I too had the lavh and it was a nice procedure, I remembering coming out of recovery asking my family were they ok (smile) I went in Tues morn came home Wed nite no problem up walking the house Thurs morn. only real pain was GAS/CONSTIPATION other than that I've been ok still haven't vacuumed yet I am driving and walking a mile everyday for the past couple of weeks able to go to store and get a few things most of all I listen to my body I haven't climbed any major staircases but overall I feel good I'm 5 weeks post-op today.

glad you're doing good wish you the best and lots of hugs
Unread 08-14-2001, 04:59 PM

Just a Pillow Police reminder that not everybody has a fast recovery from LAVH. Many doctors have stricter restrictions and many women are off work and tired the full six weeks. I was under strict orders about vacuuming and grocery shopping, though I was allowed to go back to work a little early.

So, any pooped princesses reading this and thinking you're a wimp, GO BACK TO BED and pamper yourself! You heal at your own pace. Listen to your doctor and your own body.

Unread 08-14-2001, 05:43 PM

I had my LAVH on 07-24-01 and my dr. still said no lifting or strenous activity (no vacuming) until at least 6 weeks. I am 3 weeks post op today and I still have pain on and under the lower right hand incision - actually, it is getting quite bothersome! I did take out a few remaining stitiches in that incision today - they were scabbed and crusted over. It is not infected but the pain comes from right underneath that incision (and this one has hurt since surgery) and at this moment as I sit here typing, the pain on a 1 - 10 scale is probably a 4 or maybe a bit less.....

Anf of you have pain in or under one of the incision sights?? Anyone know why that 1 is still so painful on me??? Deeper cut, maybe??

deb
Unread 08-14-2001, 06:00 PM

Hello, Ladies--
This Thursday I will be 10 weeks post op-- and am feeling really great right now. But I was one of the ones who didn't bounce right back like some of you. Really wiped me out! My incision above the pubic bone took a while to heal-- and the one in the belly button was really sore. I stayed out of work for 6 weeks-- went back after 4, and just couldn't do it. At my 6 week check up he said it wasn't healed inside, and he had to use silver nitrate in there. Had to go back at 8 weeks, and he had to use some more. He said there were still stitches inside that were dissolving-- that they should be totally gone by 10-12 weeks.
It IS an amazing operation, I am so glad it is over with!
Love to all of you!
Les
Unread 08-14-2001, 06:16 PM

hello ladies
the key to recovering is definitely listening to your doctor and of course your body we are all in a healing process and I am really thankful for this website to know that even now I'm not in it alone yes I feel good and yes I have painy(crampy right side) days just depends on my body and of course it's mood. so let's continue to be mindful of the instructions we receive from our doctor hopefully I will go back to work after my 6 week check up if not I will continue to do as I'm instructed. doctor only gave me the ok to drive, light housework, and walking nothing else so therefore I don't overdo it

remember everyone is different and bodies heal different just know we are in it together.

lots of hugs
Unread 08-14-2001, 09:44 PM

I am 6 weeks post-op from LAVH and no longer have the pain I had learned to live with before my surgery but am not able to do a whole lot of anything yet.
I am doing laundry (but no lifting), shopping, and cooking. But now I am not vaccuming or doing any "real" cleaning yet, like bathroom or kitchen scrubbing. I don't have pain but am recovering nice & slowly my DR says just like he told me too.
I'm just thrilled to be sleeping all night again and be awake in the actual daytime!!
But I do wish that I would have had the chance to have this surgery sooner, I hurt too much for too long! Thank goodness that is all over now!
:jumping: for JOY......well maybe not yet but will as soon as I'm able too!!!!

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.