HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

Menstrual Cramps After A Lsh? Menstrual Cramps After A Lsh?

Unread 10-24-2008, 07:23 AM
Menstrual Cramps After A Lsh?

for the past two nights around 8pm i have been having bad menstrual cramps and a lower back, ache, but no bleeding. on october 15th i had my lsh and seen my gyn yesterday for my one week check up and forgot to mention it to her. does anyone else have these cramps and does anyone know what they are from? if anyone could shed some light on this, it would help ease my mind as i'm thinking that something maybe wrong in there. thank you all for reading this.
Unread 10-24-2008, 07:56 AM

Sherry,
I did not have the same procedure (I had TVH), but I did experience cramps, etc. I still have my ovaries, so would have pain from ovulating, but only on the right side.
I was told, for me, some other abdominal and/or lower pains I'd experienced was possibly from things shifting "into position" since my uterus was absent.

If you continue to have the pain, or it increases, call your doctor. even just being in there yesterday - you could easily call today and say 'I forgot to mention this when I was in yesterday, but . . . .' They'd prefer you ask and not worry.

Best wishes and
Unread 10-24-2008, 08:15 AM

thank you so much for the advise. i did call the nurse at my gyn office but i had to leave a message. they close on friday's at noon and say they will return my call in 24 hours on regular business days! this is driving me nuts! if it is from shifting, does these cramps ever subside? i too also kept my ovaries and thought maybe this was a sign of them still working? thanks again for the reply!
Unread 10-24-2008, 08:41 AM

are they bad cramps? when i remembered where i was in my cycle, i did have very very light cramping before when my period would be. it reminded me of the day or two before i'd get my period...just a light reminder. i never had bad cramps when i had my period though. now that i've lost track of my cycles, i dont notice it as much. i think because youre so early in your recovery, its probably normal. have you tried taking motrin at night?
Unread 10-24-2008, 08:51 AM

well, i'm not sure where i am in my cycle! i have a 17 month old daughter that i have been breastfeeding ( yes still! ) and i have not had a period since she was around 6 months old or so, and was also on birth control. ususally before it was that time i would get leg cramps, almost like growing pains in my legs that i used to get when i was a kid. i have those too, along with menstrual cramps on my right side and a lower back ache. they're not real bad but very noticeable and can keep me from falling asleep. i have not tried motrin, as i'm not sure if it is safe to take while nursing. would ibuprophin be the same? as i know i can take that. thank you all for your advice, i was scared this may not be normal.
Unread 10-24-2008, 06:16 PM

I had some sharp pain about 5-6 weeks post-op. I called to ask about it, wondering if it could be related to the time I would usually be having my period. (I did keep my ovaries.) My doctor was out at the time, but the nurse said that was possible. She also mentioned a couple unrelated things it could be, and warned me to watch out for fever.

The doctor called me back when he returned, and his first thought was that I could be ovulating. He wouldn't be surprised if I was feeling pain from that. He also mentioned that even at 6 weeks, things are still healing internally, and all of the organs are settling into place. I was told to see how it went for a couple weeks. Although he said if it got worse to call him sooner.
Unread 11-04-2008, 03:17 PM
Cramps after LSH 10/15

Hi,
I too am having cramps today. Just like a period. The nurse from the docs office said it's normal to a certain extent. Any bleeding or fever, etc. should be dealt with immediatly. She also told me to take it EASY for a while. Let my tummy heal. I have been doing too much, ofcourse.

peace and love to all,
Unread 11-20-2008, 03:06 PM

I had my LSH in October and today would have been my first cycle that I would have had based on my calculations. I am having mild menstral cramping myself and slight back ache. I am wondering if it is the part of the uterus/cervix that is left that could be cramping due to the hormonal changes. I haven't had any bleeding but the cramping is annoying.
Unread 01-12-2009, 11:53 AM

i am also having cramping a week out from my LSH- I was concerned and found this thread- I do think I may be ovulating, because i have increased discharge (i haven't had any bleeding or anything up to this pt)-- it feels so much like my period- I hope this is not a sign of things to come sigh

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.