HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

sore throat and dry mouth, help fix me please sore throat and dry mouth, help fix me please

Unread 10-31-2008, 12:18 PM
sore throat and dry mouth, help fix me please

OK, I know the breathing tube would give me a sore throat. I also know that percocet can give you cotton mouth or whatever. But I am drinking fluids like crazy!!! I have been going to the bathroom at least every hour. No matter what I do, I still have that nasty dry mouth feeling and taste and swallowing hurts like you know what. I have to get a big sip of water just to swallow a cracker.

And advice on what might help with this? I even tried sucking on a hard candy but it only helps a tiny bit while I'm sucking on it. This really stinks!!!

Cristy
Unread 10-31-2008, 12:21 PM

Cristy,
This will pass in a day or two, your surgery was just yesterday. Keep drinking water and sucking on the candy, its all reactions from the surgery! I went through it too! I'm back to drooling at night! Hang in there, and happy healing!
Unread 10-31-2008, 12:30 PM

thank you for the encouragement. I guess this is why my jaw and neck hurt too. I hope you are healing well with no complications.

Cristy
Unread 10-31-2008, 12:40 PM
Sore throat

My sore throat lasted almost a week. it is not fun. I had ice chips by my bed at all times.

Yes, once you get off the pain meds..it does go away.

Hang in there sweetie.
Oh , I gargled with warm salt water.
Honey in hot water helped me also.

Take care
chris (sunbelle)
Unread 10-31-2008, 12:44 PM

Thats what we are here for .... encouragment! Can u imagine if we stayed like that.. all dry in the mouth and walking around like we are hump backed.. lordy! But darlin it does get lots better and you will be on here telling the next princess to hang in there!
Keep smiling!
Unread 10-31-2008, 02:50 PM

I came home form the hospital with some Cepacol throat lozenges, they helped.
Unread 10-31-2008, 03:20 PM

I'd try an anesthetizing cough drop (like the Cepacol suggested) rather than the hard candies. The Chloraseptic (sp?) throat spray numbs things pretty well too. If you can find a cough drop made with slippery elm, that also helps lubricate the throat.
Unread 10-31-2008, 03:43 PM

Thank you so much everyone. I'm going to try the cepacol, or halls fruit breezers. I just need to stop trying to do everything. Hubby just yelled at me cause DS spilt orange cleaner on the floor and I tried to clean it up. I know, I can't do that. But I can't let it sit there.... he went to the store to get me some yummy stuff. I am getting spoiled.

Cristy
Unread 10-31-2008, 08:06 PM

I'm on day 3 and most of my cotton mouth and sore throat stopped about 12 hours ago. It WILL get better! And, yes, enjoy the pampering. I know I am!
Unread 10-31-2008, 08:27 PM

What kind of surgery did you have? It seems way to soon for you to be out of the castle yet, please, for your own good no more cleaning up after anyone including yourself for at least 10 days, no matter what surgery you just had it was MAJOR, and btw, do you have any white patches on your tongue or cheeks? If so call ur Dr. right away because could be thrush(a yeast infection of the mouth)and you will need a medicated mouth wash or longzen to clear it up. I hope you start to feel better soon and remember take it easy and nuture yourself.
Hugs and prayers,
Diana

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.