HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   HysterSisters Hysterectomy > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Pelvic Floor and Bladder Issues

Notices

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. Join us today!

posterior repair pain posterior repair pain

Unread 11-01-2008, 11:06 AM
posterior repair pain

I had a sparc sling along with anterior/posterior repair. Had cath out for one day, then had to be recathed again. I'm 12 days out from surgery with alot of pain in my rectum area. How long before pain will go away? The recovery is worse than my hysterectomy. I asked my doctor if the surgery caused a hemoroid, but doctor promises this is not what's causing the pain, even though he confirmed I do have a hemoroid now.

Has anyone found any ointment or remedies to help with posterior repair pain?

I'm amazed at how sore I feel after 12 days.
Unread 11-01-2008, 12:57 PM
posterior repair pain

Hi there. I am experiencing the same problem. I had my surg Oct 21, TVH, ant/post repair and bladder lift and the worst pain I am experiencing is a ripping/tearing/bulging feeling in my rectum area. I even have a baby hemmy as well. The doctor advised that the hem is from not having enough bm's and to say on my back more often. I did a self exam of my vag and also felt some bulging, bumps inside there as well. It is so painful to sit. I think we should keep in touch and support once another.
Michelle
Unread 11-03-2008, 08:44 PM
posterior repair pain

Hi Ladies,

I had my hysterectomy plus a/p repairs in March of this year and I still remember how much it hurt! I think it was a good month to 5 weeks before I felt really comfortable. I don't know if any of you had episiotomies w/ childbirth but that's what this was like, only worse. What worked wonders for me was to use a little spray bottle w/ warm water and squirt myself every time I went to the bathroom. I also sprayed Dermoplast, which is a topical analgesic, on the whole perineum area a couple times a day. Tucks pads also helped - the cooling sensation was wonderful. It will get better! It seemed like it was all of a sudden I turned a corner and the pain lessened, as I said around a month or so - I used to be fearful that I was ripping things open every time I got in and out of a car but the repairs have held. Bless all of you.
Unread 11-03-2008, 10:25 PM
posterior repair pain

karen, it is so reassuring to hear that there is light at the end of the tunnel. Funny too, I crawl into the car as well like a 75 year old lady S L O W AND CAREFUL. Anneag, I only experienced nausea in the hospital. Perhaps its the pain killers you are still on? I try to take only Tynnol extra strength because of my constipation prob. You are so FORTUNATE that you don't have a prob with this as I have read that our colon can "go to sleep" and not function properly for a while after this surgery as everything has been slightly moved. You mentioned that you had a cyctocille which is the correction of a "fallen bladder". So if you are experiencing problems like spasms, weird urges to pee, the eurethra twitching etc. that is normal because I am experiencing those stymptoms as well. \
Lets keep our feet up and stay reclined!
Michelle
Unread 11-04-2008, 01:17 AM
posterior repair pain

Hello fellow a&p repair HS's
I am 7 weeks after my surgery and I have to say that it will take a while, but it WILL get better.
I had terrible pain for 2 weeks and then oddly enough in the 5th where I still needed oxyconorm, however I suddenly turned a corner and the pain lessened and lessened and now 7 weeks out don't need to take anything. I still have to be careful about keeping my BM's nice and soft, but that will be a lifetime thingy after a recocele repair and I do that with stool softners and a stool bulking agent which work a treat.
1020repair, you are only 12 days out, be kind to yourself, take your pain meds and rest rest rest , it will get better, your body just needs time to heal, and it will
Unread 11-04-2008, 04:38 AM
posterior repair pain

I also had A&P repairs (TVH w/Bladder Sling surgery) and it does take some time. That's a lot of surgeryto go through and unfortunately pressure is directed in that area. I wouldn't use anything (as far as creams, etc) without your doctor's ok. It does get better and I learned not to expect too much too soon. Your body has been through a lot and needs to heal. Best wishes!
Unread 11-04-2008, 06:00 AM
posterior repair pain

Thanks you guys. I will just be patient. It is reassuring to her from those that are further along than us. I am 8 days post op today and I still don't feel very good - blah! I've been off the Percocet since Saturday so that's good. I thought maybe the high dose of ibuprofen was causing the nausea, so I didn't even take that yesterday, but today -- still nauseated and headache this morning too. If I don't feel better later this morning, I think I'll call the doctor.

Did it take you guys forever to pee - and you too michelle? I sit on the toilet for like 4 minutes to dip out my urine. I did measure it yesterday and the quantity is okay (200 cc) so again------patience!
Unread 11-04-2008, 01:38 PM
posterior repair pain

Hi all - I had a TVH and P&A repairs. From what I can glean from what the doctor and others have told me, the repairs cause more pain (much more) than the hysterectomy (especially if you had no abdominal incision, which would of course cause pain). My first doc that I spoke with said it would take up to 3 months before I could return to exercise, etc. Current doc has given the go-ahead for sex at 8 weeks. I'm going to wait for 3 months for more intense exercise. The first guy I went to ONLY did this surgery for a living, so I trust his recommendation, though he also said to wait for 3 months for sex. I guess I'll see how I feel at the 8 week mark.

That said, I'm at 5.5 weeks, and find that when I go to sit down, or get into a car, that's my most uncomfortable time. I usually take a total of 2 Advil a a day at this point. This week I'm finally able to walk a little more quickly than before (though still not at what could be considered an exercise level).

Take it easy!
Unread 11-06-2008, 12:33 AM
posterior repair pain

Hi everyone,
I had all the same surgery that most everyone has mentioned 5 weeks ago (TVH, rectocele, cystocele repairs and TOT with bladder sling, and I'm still having mostly lots of bladder discomfort and frequency, and I on and off of the pain meds when I can't take it anymore. The rectal pressure and difficulty sitting just began to get better this week, just as my bladder felt like it was getting worse! I just went for a 5 week post op and my doctor said I had to wait at least 8 weeks for sex because my stitches still haven't dissolved. She also basically thinks you're not really O.K. for work for 8-12 weeks, 12 being optimal...so if you're thinking that you should feel good at 2 weeks, I don't think that's realistic. The weird thing for me is that it hasn't been a linear progression. I didn't have as much bladder pain in the beginning and now it seems I have to go a lot and it feels often like it's an infection. But I've had it checked several times and it's not. She did say that I can begin exercising gently, but I've been pretty uncomfortable and am still sort of scared to do much because a lot of the stitches are still there. I was prepared for this to be a long recovery, but it's still frustrating, and I also find that if you tell friends or other people that you had surgery (depending on the person I usually leave it at pelvic surgery) they assume hysterectomy and don't see why I'm not fine by now...because they were just fine in 4 weeks, blah, blah, etc. So I just try to avoid the subject altogether because it gets me down! Good luck to everyone and those of you who are so "fresh", just baby yourself during those early weeks knowing that it's perfectly normal to not feel good and you'll feel better sooner if you do baby yourself. I think I did too much, Nancy
Unread 11-06-2008, 07:15 AM
posterior repair pain

Nancy thanks for your response. Why is it so hard to baby ourselves and just take it easy? I am 10 days post op today! These days are LONG! Anyone else feel their days at home are LONG and boring?

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.