HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   HysterSisters Hysterectomy > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Pelvic Floor and Bladder Issues

Notices

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. Join us today!

What does a kidney infection feel like? What does a kidney infection feel like?

Unread 11-04-2008, 05:49 PM
What does a kidney infection feel like?

Can someone who has had a kidney infection please describe their symptoms for me and the level of pain?

I've had a low-grade fever for almost 2 weeks, although slightly higher in the last 2 days. Everything seems to have intensified in the last 2 days. Dull headache. Dull aches in the mid back (?) both sides just below the ribs. Aches in the legs. Overwhelming fatigue. Chills but not like shaking chills. It feels like the flu only without any real flu symptoms like sore throat or stuffy nose. I did two of those AZO home UTI tests last week but neither came out positive (which is one of the reasons I've been waiting it out). Would those show a kidney infection?

I've read some general information on kidney infections, but I want some "real" stories that will maybe help me decide it that is possibility in my case. Thanks.
Unread 11-04-2008, 06:43 PM

When I had a kidney infection I had pains radiating thru my sides that were so bad I could not even walk. I had a fever of about 102, which before I got better went to 104. I also had terrible pains in my back. Dh took me to the ER, got some meds but by the time dh took me to my doctor the following day I could barely walk, they had to get a wheelchair for me to make it into my doc's office. I was put on heavy dose IV antibotics. At the time my insurance allowed for in home nursing, so I had a nurse come by 2x per day and they showed dh how to change out my IV's. Dh took a video of me on the sofa (yeah, we had just gotten a video camera so he was taking videos of anything and everything ), whenever I see that video I can honestly say I was VERY VERY sick.

If you even suspect a kidney infection, you need to call your doctor. Best not to let it get as bad as mine was.

P.S. On a scale of 1-10 my pain was a 15!
Unread 11-04-2008, 06:54 PM

(((Mich))) you really need to not be self-diagnosing. Whether or not your symptoms sound like something someone here has experienced is not a substitute for a physician examining you and running clinical tests. PLEASE see your DR for a diagnosis. I hope you feel better soon.

s,
-Linda
Unread 01-07-2009, 07:10 PM

When you have a kidney infection, where exactly is it supposed to hurt? Various sources I've checked list different areas. One said your side (flank) would hurt. Another said you would have back pain in the area above the hips on either side of the spine. Another says you would feel back pain just beneath the last rib.
Unread 01-11-2009, 12:38 PM

If you had a kidney infection I think you would've known by now. I don't think you can have one for over 2 months, do nothing and not have it get worse. You should give your doctor a call if you are not feeling well.
Unread 01-11-2009, 02:16 PM

Oh, sorry, this isn't the same one. I just tacked it on to my previous question. Thanks Kim.

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.