HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   HysterSisters Hysterectomy > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

Notices

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. Join us today!

Hip pain after radiation Hip pain after radiation

Unread 11-09-2008, 07:03 PM
Hip pain after radiation

I finished my external radiation back in October. I didn't do brachytherapy though. I do have to use a dilator a couple times a week. My only real issue during and still ongoing is GI issues, thankfully improving daily. Probably a few weeks ago I had been sitting and playing online like now. When I got up my hips hurt. After a few steps I would be fine. Also when I sit for long periods my tailbone starts to hurt. No, I haven't talked to my doctor about it yet. I just wanted to comment on it and see if anyone else had experienced it.
Unread 11-09-2008, 08:13 PM
Hip pain after radiation

Hi Robinsprincess, I don't know if your hip pain is related to the chemo or not, but I'm dealing with SIGNIFICAN hip pain right now. I've been through vicodin, muscle relaxers, anti-inflammatory (2 types), accupuncture, chiropractics, and physical therapy (ultrasound and electrical stim). Of those, the drugs dull the pain a bit. The accupuncutre and chiro has improved the hip pain by about 50%, . . . but the hip pain is getting better, I now have really bad nerve pain down in my foot. Mine might be a pinched nerve (from a slipped disk), but I suspect the sciatic nerve is being pinched by the periformis muscle.

I'm taking a half-day off work tomorrow to find out what is going on. I wake up 4+ times per night from this pain.

I have a history of low back pain, but this originally started higher in my back, went to my hip, and now is in my foot. I HIGHLY suspect all of this is from surgery making my old hip stuff get worse. I was in that HORRID position for 3 hours, and then the muscle weakness from all of those muscles and nerves being cut to remove my uterus.

I'm rambling now, but all of that to say that I don't know what is causing your problem, but I understand the pain and discomfort!

Take care and I hope you find what is going wrong!
Unread 11-10-2008, 02:12 AM
Hip pain after radiation

Peaceful:
I don't know about the positioning during an LAVH, but I have had the tingling pain and numbness (neuropathy)? in my right foot for about 7 months now... and it is not getting any better... I think you hit the nail on the head.. when they cut the nerves to remove the uterus.. and yet when I ask my doctor about it, he says it had nothing to do with the surgery.
I think they are somewhat afraid to tell us what really happens so there is no lawsuit... Funny how I never had these problems pre-surgery...
Unread 11-10-2008, 05:14 AM
Hip pain after radiation

Hi - I had hip pain after surgery/radiation; I can't remember how long it lasted, but it's gone now. Additionally, when I would squat to pick something up from the floor, I'd have to crawl over to a piece of furniture so I could get up again; that lasted at least three years, and my normally strong legs are still a little weaker than they've been my whole life. Within the first year of surgery, I had horrible pain in the tailbone area, but just three or four times. It always occurred when I was driving a long distance (4-6 hours) and came out of nowhere. It would flare up, I would suck in my breath and lean forward on the steering wheel, and the pain would subside within five minutes.

My point is that I had lots of odd pains, but they disappeared over time. I went to a physical therapist who said my alignment was off (she specializes in bodily structure); she suspects the six-hour surgery plus the extra weight I have in my lymphedema leg might be the cause. She gave me exercises to do, which have helped.

Hope you find answers for your difficulties.
s!
Unread 11-10-2008, 06:21 AM
Hip pain after radiation

I too have been experiencing horrible hip pain, which I am sure is sciatic related. For about a month it was just an annoyance, and then within the last week it has gotten really bad. For the most part it does not bother me during the day - I can walk, sit, climb a ladder and not even notice it, but the very minute I go to bed and am flat on my back the pain shoots from my right cheek. I can only sleep in one position that does not cause me pain, and even that seems to create a bit of an ache. I am really hoping it is something minor, and not some new growth pressing on the nerve. I guess I will find out tomorrow, when I go for my scans. I did have radiation, and did notice some occasional hip pain for a few months after, when getting up after being still for a while.
Unread 11-10-2008, 08:34 AM
Hip pain after radiation

I had chemo/rads and brachytherapy. I do get some hip pain every now and then. I am not limber like I used to be. If I'm on my feet too long or sitting too long it will bother me but then goes away. Or if I bend the wrong way to pick something up. My doctors told me to try to get into a yoga class to start working those muscles again. They said this is from the radiation treatments, the muscles feel really tight when I try to stretch. I'm only 39, but there are days when my hips feel like an 80 yr old woman's hips. I was walking alot everyday and didn't have this, but I stopped the walking when I took on an evening part time job.
Unread 11-10-2008, 03:42 PM
Hip pain after radiation

I didn't know this before radiation, but it can significantly weaken or even fracture bones in the area treated. I have a fractured sacral bone from radiation that I thought would have healed by now but it hasn't. Some days it's worse than others but it sure is a small price to pay for getting rid of the cancer.
Unread 11-10-2008, 09:49 PM
Hip pain after radiation

Yup not just hip but sometimes I get deep gluteal region pain. The only thing that has helped has been my one on one pilates trainer. She has worked with me to regain feeling, flexibility and motion in areas affected by the surgery and radiation. Really think about how much stuff we had taken out in a radical hyst. That is a lot of room for scar tissue to grow. Then add the radiation factor. Of course we hurt. So fight back with activity. Stay fit and active. Above all avoid weight gain. I started feeling much better after I dropped 5 pounds. Now if I could just drop another 5. Not so likely but I will try.

love to all the other thriving ladies out there!!!
Unread 11-12-2008, 06:18 PM
Hip pain after radiation

I didn't really have hip pain after radiation, but a big YES on the tailbone pain!
It really took me by surprise because I had never heard of that before.
It's MUCH better now (17 months post treatment) but when I sit for a long time I can still feel it.
I also had extremely stiff muscles in my upper thigh area. That has almost gone away completely, probably due to the fact I walk about 3 times a week on a treadmill. I also did (still do) stretching exercises which helped a lot.
Unread 11-13-2008, 02:00 PM
Hip pain after radiation

I finished chemo/radiation and brach in Dec 2005 (age 27) - i get bad hip and back pain still off and on. Ive had xrays done on my hips and nothing came up..also ct scan twice on my back...first time they said the pain was caused from radiation as they seen something on my spine. Frustrating!! Now at 30 i feel much older some days! I find a heating pad works wonders on the back pain

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.