HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

b12 deficiency......is this from hyster???? b12 deficiency......is this from hyster????

Unread 11-10-2008, 04:56 AM
b12 deficiency......is this from hyster????

Doc ordered a series of tests done. Cholesterol good. Thyroid good. Blood count 121? (not sure what is good but that is way higher than it has been). Showed I was menopausal even tho I am on HRT but he wasn't worried about it as it was only slightly down (u can tell he doesn't have hot flushes). But what he was concerned about was vitamin B12 level. It was 97. My RBC B12 was 31?? I have to have another blood test tmoro and b12 injections once a month. I haven't been diagnosed with this before could it be from the hyster. I will be glad to not need to sleep all the time if the injections work how they should. Anybody else with this. Any info would be helpful.
Unread 11-10-2008, 02:41 PM

Meg f - I have read that surgery on/in the digestive track can affect B12 levels, but I had not seen this in connection w/ hysterectomy. Please let us know if you find anything more regarding that, and I hope that you will feel much less tired soon!
Unread 11-10-2008, 03:38 PM

Meg,
I have found since the hyst that I do need to supplement with B-12. I take a sublingual B-12 daily and a few times a year I go to my doc and get a B Vitamin IV drip.

What are you using for hrt? It's not unusual for it to take some time for your body to adjust and to recover from surgery. It took me much longer than 2 months for all my symptoms to go away.

You can read more about hormones in the articles at www.hormonejungle.com

Unread 11-10-2008, 03:45 PM

I found out that I had B12 deficiency right after I had my thyroid taken out. The endocrinologist said that many people (especially women) have B12 deficiency if they have any other autoimmune disorders. Since my thyroid problem was an autoimmune inflammation of the thyroid, she blamed my B12 deficiency on that.

I get B12 shots every 2 weeks. No fun, but not the end of the world either.

Good luck! Hope that it helps you feel better!
Unread 11-10-2008, 03:49 PM

Hi Kym M,
I am using Sandrena gel. It says on the box 0,1% gel, oestradiol 1,0mg. I think this one is mainly used in Australia. The hot flushes can be as few as five a day but most of the night (which is why I thought I was so tired) but someti
We can be a feweach hour. Very annoying as I feel like passing out and clothing just makes it worse. Seeing as I am trying to work don't think customers would appreciate the no clothes thing!!!!
Will get my first b12 injection today so will see if that improved things. Have a blood test today to check for pernicious anaemia.
Unread 11-10-2008, 05:13 PM

hi, just thought i would let you all know 3 months post hyster I had such a severe B12 issue I took one shot per week for 8 weeks, then (now) i get the shot once a month for 3-6 months. not sure why but never had the problem before. Also, UTI issues!
Unread 11-15-2008, 09:14 PM
can u drink while on these injections???

Teddybearlady, just wondered if u know if u can drink alcahol while on b12 injections. It is 9 weeks since I have had a glass I wine and with Christmas parties happening, well it would b nice to b able to have a couple of drinks. Was told u shouldn't whilst on these that's all.

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.