HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

Fibroids and Enlarged Uterus Fibroids and Enlarged Uterus

Unread 11-12-2008, 10:15 AM
Fibroids and Enlarged Uterus

In 2000, my uterus volme was 160. In 2008, my uterus is 549 cu ***. In 2000 my fibroid was 40 x 49. In 2008, my fibroid is 68 x 62. I have a second fibroid about the size of a plum. One doctor is telling my to have a hysterectomy. Another doctor is telling me to wait it out. I am 50. I am having no problems at all. If I did not go to my doctor every year for my checkup, I never would know I had two fibroids. I am going for a third opinion. Any thoughts, opinions, etc. I am open to.
Unread 11-12-2008, 10:23 AM

Wow that is a BIG Fibroid! I just had a TAH & removal of the 20 fibroid. All the drs I saw said even w/menopause a fibroid that large may not shrink completely. I am 2 weeks out & beside being tired, I do feel better w/out the fibroid. I was trying to wait until menopause (I am 42), but it kept growing & I was having pain, bloating ect. from it. Good luck in whatever you decide.
Unread 11-12-2008, 11:07 AM

I am in the same boat too. I'm not sure how big my fibroids are for sure but 2 are over 3" in size. My uterus is oversized also - it would almost have to be with several large fibroids. My app w/the gyn isn't until Dec 15 to decide what I should do.
I had an ablation a few years ago. That helped alot with the week of extreme heavy bleeding - it is now only 2 days of xtreme heavy bleeding. My gyn then wanted to do the H-surgery but I couldn't take off work for 6+ weeks. But now I am in a different situation and can take off 6+ weeks of work.
Unread 11-13-2008, 09:43 PM

"In 2008, my fibroid is 68 x 62."

Do you mean millimeters?

Have you gone through menopause recently? If so, you might want to wait & see a bit since it's not bothering you and they are supposed to shrink after menopause...
Unread 11-15-2008, 09:35 AM

WOW! 68x62!! That measurement MUST BE in millimeters because if it were in centimeters your uterus volume would be WAY more than 549. (My fibroid was only 16 CM and my uterus volume was 1272 - about 2.3 times yours.) Also if you had a 68cm fibroid you'd look 9 months pregnant, and it doesn't sound like you do.

I think your fibroid is 6.8cmx6.2cm, which makes sense with your uterus volume. I'm not surprised that you're having no problems at all - a lot of people with fibroids never know they're in there.

My thinking is, if you're not having any symptoms, why do anything? Surgery is expensive and risky. I say, do it only if you need to.

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.