HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

Did your fibroid(s) make your abdomen bulge? Did your fibroid(s) make your abdomen bulge?

Unread 08-15-2001, 05:48 PM
Did your fibroid(s) make your abdomen bulge?

I have a 9-10 cm fibroid and I am curious as to whether or not that could be the cause of my bulging abdomen. (I'm hoping!) I am not really overweight, so I'm hoping for a flat tummy after my TAH next month.

What do you think ladies? Other than the infamous "swelly belly", do you think the removal of your fibroid filled uterus gave you a flatter tummy?

Just curious.
Unread 08-15-2001, 06:10 PM

I wish I could tell you yes, but the truth is I had a TAH/BSO on 1/5/01 for huge fibroids, a cyst on one ovary, lots of endo and adeno. I had a vertical incision and where the incision was is nice and flat but my tummy still bulges above it -- I'm 7 months post op, I don't think this can really be considered swelly belly anymore! I'm not really overweight either (I work out 5 mornings a week) am pretty muscular and well-toned everywhere else but there's this BELLY. In my case some of it is heredity. I had high hopes of a flatter tummy after surgery and it hasn't happened yet!
Unread 08-15-2001, 06:20 PM

I'm just 7 weeks post-op, so I don't have anything to go on yet. But my uterus had "at least 30" fibroids, with the largest 3 being 5-6 cm. I felt and looked like I was 4-5 months pregnant. I definitely am experiencing the swelly belly by dinner time each day. But when I get up in the morning my abdomen is almost flat! And I feel so much better not to have all that bulk inside me! I'm hopeful that once I recover more and can do abdominal exercises that it will all go down more. I would also like to hear from more sisters about this though!
Unread 08-15-2001, 07:27 PM
Huge Tummy

I had a uterus the size of a 5 mo pregnancy. My tummy was "hard." But that wasn't due to
having a washboard stomach. Those fibroids were hard as a rock, making my tummy look
very distended.

Right now I have minimal swelly belly. But even so, my tummy is much flatter. I look better. Thank god no one ever asked me when the baby was due!

Jennifer
Age 35
Unread 08-15-2001, 09:27 PM

i had TAH/BSO seven weeks ago for one large ( basketball-over 10 pounds) fibroid. Before surgery my doctor said " you're going to have a flat tummy when this is out." And I'm holding her to it! When I first get up, tummy is fairly flat but expands through the day. Swelly belly is a relative thing! Compared to before surg, this is nothing. Now doc says I may have to have a tummy tuck since muscles were so stretched, but I'm giving them a chance to reccover. Stay away from me with that knife...

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.