HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > The Road Less Traveled

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. Join us today!

ovary wrapped around intestine??! ovary wrapped around intestine??!

Unread 11-14-2008, 07:25 PM
ovary wrapped around intestine??!

omg! has anyone out there ever heard of this??? i had a hyst in 2004, and experienced alot of constipation for the past 4 yrs, honestly, i guess i just thought thats how it was going to be after surgery...well, after being rushed into emergency surgery last week, almost dead, they found fluid around my liver and my right ovary all the way on the left side of my body and wrapped around the intestines. im much better now..... much better, but this is soooo bizarre anyonehave any info? oh! and they also gave me 2 cat scans within a 24 hr period. does anyone know if that is a bad thing? i know its alot of radiation.
Unread 11-14-2008, 08:03 PM

(((barbie61))) I'm sorry to hear you had such a scare last week. I have to say I highly doubt that your trip to the ER last week was directly caused by the hysterectomy or anything your surgeon did or didn't do. It sounds like your ovary was stuck to your intestines with adhesions, which unfortunately some women are very prone to after pelvic surgery - any pelvic surgery. It can be due to a tiny amount of bleeding during surgery, or it can be due to a tiny amount of bleeding that resulted because you reached up to the top shelf in the kitchen cabinets or lifted a heavy weight too early in your recovery, or it can just be because you are one who is more likely than most to form adhesions.

Ovaries do move, and it sounds like a coincidence that yours ended up caught up in adhesions that involved the intestines, which probably are what caused the constipation. Adhesions don't show up in any tests, so it's totally understandable that you and your DRs would have not known anything about it for quite a while.

If you needed them, then two CT scans in 24 hours is not necessarily a bad thing. I'm sure the DRs thought carefully about that before ordering them. These days CT scans don't use a whole lot of radiation. In 2006, part of the treatments I had to do for my breast cancer involved a total of 11 CT scans over a one week period and nothing bad came of that.

What was the outcome of this latest hospital visit? Are you going to have any further testing or surgery to remove the adhesions, or did that already happen? You may want to consult a gyn/oncologist or a surgeon who is very experienced in dealing with adhesions if the recommendation is to remove them, because surgery to remove adhesions can cause more adhesions to form.

I hope this helps. Glad you are doing better now!

s,
-Linda
Unread 11-14-2008, 08:34 PM

thank you surferbabe....they laproscopically removed the adhesions, and put the ovary back where it belonged. crasy! isnt it. you might be right, but no one even the new gyn said he had never seen anything like this, as did my surgeon who is no ammature either, (cheif of staff) so the whole thing is mind boggling
Unread 11-15-2008, 08:51 AM

are you a nurse or in the healthcare industry? you seem very knowlegeable!
Unread 11-15-2008, 09:55 AM

I am a DR, but not an MD. I'm just here as one patient helping another... I have had a lot of surgeries and medical problems.

s,
-Linda
Unread 11-15-2008, 05:09 PM

what are do you practice?
Unread 11-15-2008, 05:10 PM

sorry, i meant area
Unread 11-15-2008, 05:48 PM

Nowadays I mostly practice patience - as in trying to learn to have some as I cope with a series of health problems.

I have a background in research but these days I am mostly just a single mom and also own a karate school. As I mentioned, I'm only here as one woman patient helping another as much as I'm able to.

s,
-Linda
Unread 11-15-2008, 06:13 PM

we are all very lucky to have someone as knowledgable as you are as a hostess . im sorry you have had soo many problems, its hard , dont you think? sometimes i wonder what the heck is next. like in my situation, what a bizarre oddball thing to happen, but it seems like if its weird it will happen to me. lol, next will probably be "my liver is where my lung belongs, or ooops your ovary is now your eyeball. hahahahahhaahha
Unread 11-15-2008, 06:17 PM

Yes, nothing would surprise me anymore, health-wise. I am always waiting for the other shoe to drop.

s,
-Linda

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.