HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

Im new, bleeding 50% of the time Im new, bleeding 50% of the time

Unread 11-18-2008, 06:21 PM
Im new, bleeding 50% of the time

Hi everyone. Im new here not sure where to put this Question out so here it is....

Im 27 yrs old, and have 3 children. I have been having horrible periods since I was young. No tests so far have shown up any reason for this at all.
Ive tried BCP, IUD & D&C to slow the bleeding every month but all have failed or have had yuck side effects.

I am over spending 50% of every month 'disabled' by my period & not being able to be a good mum to my kids cause i need to sit & take it easy or flood everywhere.
Im so tired constantly from the super heavy bleeding & its affecting my life with my family and day to day tasks...

I WANT a hysterectomy!!! But the problem is the 2 Drs ive seen so far have refused based on my age! They r male Drs I think that has a big part to do with it they dont understand what its like to be a woman...

I feel like it is MY choice not theirs!! They dont have to live like this for 2 weeks every month!!!
I feel like this is a good choice for me as Ive spent roughly 50% of each year since i was 13 bleeding (apart from when pregnant), Thats almost like 6yrs of constant bleeding & IM OVER IT, hence the username lol...

Have any of you had trouble convincing your Dr to let you have it done???
Unread 11-18-2008, 08:53 PM

Hi ((over-it))!

Welcome to HysterSisters!

As one who dealt with a lot of bleeding, I know it is not fun! I had been on the pill for years for my cycles and when everything went haywire I was switched from one pill to the next to the next but they didn't work. My GP referred to a GYN to try to figure out what was causing all the bleeding -- I had no other health concerns. By the time I made it to the GYN, I had been bleeding most of two years. First, I had a laparoscopy, hysteroscopy, and a D&C. The laparoscopy was to look around the exterior of my uterus to see what might be going on in the pelvic region that was causing all the bleeding. They hysteroscopy was to take a look inside the uterus to see if the problem was there. And the D&C of course was an attempt to stop the bleeding. The D&C failed. The hysteroscopy showed the inside of my uterus was fine. The laparosocpy found stage IV endometriosis!

For me, the uterus had to be removed to stop the bleeding since the endo was covering the exterior of the uterus and no other treatment option would be effective. Because of my age my GYN did not want to do my hysterectomy at all and will tell you that to this day, eight years later! But I didn't have any options available for my specific circumstances.

Unfortunately for me, I had complications and they did affect me and my family for years to come! If only a hysterectomy were a simple surgery with no risks. If only no woman ever regretted her surgery. If a hysterectomy was guaranteed to cure all women and their GYN issues. Then things would be simpilier for everyone! But that is not the case!

I do not believe your doctors are trying to be uncaring. Their gender is not rendering them unable to understand what you are going through. Instead, they are likely concerned about the risks, the problems, the dangers of surgery, etc. especially if they do not know what is causing the bleeding. What if they do surgery and you still are tired and exhausted all the time? What if you still bleed? Believe it or not, it does happen for one reason or another.

Also, you would likely be amazed to find out how many women end up regretting having had a hysterectomy! Many of them post here on the site, angry that they are worse of than when they started, wishing they could go back to the "simple" problems they had before their hysterectomy. In fact, we have several forums here on the site to help women who are dealing with issues after their hysterectomy: sexual dysfunction problems, pelvic floor and bladder issues which include a whole host of ick stuff, endometriosis, nerve damage, chronic pain, additional surgeries, hormone issues, compromised overall health, and the list goes on.

As you do need some medical treatment, I would suggest you could keep a journal detailing exactly what you are going through. This can give your doctors an idea of how much your life is being impacted by the bleeding. Write down as many details as you can. If have any other health symptoms or issues that might be related to your cycle, keep notes about those as well. It could help guide your doctors to the right diagnoses and treatment plan. Then ask your doctor(s) for testing that would help determine exactly why you are bleeding. A laparoscopy and/or hystereoscopy would be the right diagnostic tests for you as they were for me! If you can find the actual reason for the bleeding, it is possible there is a better treatment option available than what you have tried so far. Have you ever had an endometrial ablation for instance? If bleeding is the only issue, the ablation could be exactly what you need!

If a hysterectomy was a simple procedure that was a end all/cure all with no risks involved, it would make things so much easier! But unfortunately, it isn't! Instead, if can cause otherwise healthy women, like me, to end up with very compromised health, additional medical concerns, more surgery, and an even more disabling life. So we and our doctors do have to carefully weigh the pros and cons for this surgery before deciding if it will actually be worth the risks or not!

Please in there and keep talking to your doctors. If you would feel more comfortable, do look for a female physician. My GP is a female but my two GYNs who are very compassionate are male. My mother's least compassionate, worst doctor ever, was a female OB/GYN!

I wish you all the best and I hope you can soon find a treatment plan that will let you feel your best so you can be the best mom you can be!
Unread 11-19-2008, 04:15 PM

Hi there!

I am wondering if your drs. have given you a diagnosis for this bleeding??? In my case, an endometrial biopsy showed hormonal problems. I can't take the pill tho because of migraines.

There is a condition called adenomyosis which is very difficult to diagnose, and can only really be verified after they remove your uterus. I can cause bleeding and cramping, and is not uncommon. Sometimes an MRI can show this condition, but ultrasound usually misses it. Some with adenomyosis have some luck with endometrial ablations, but many do not. Hysterctomy is the only real cure for adenomyosis, as I understand.

Has your dr. talked to you about an endometrial ablation?? I had one and it stopped my periods cold. I also was begging for a hyster, and my doc didn't want to do it on me unless I had cancer or fibroids. I did have severe cervical dysplasia 8 yrs ago, and had 2 cone biopsies to remove it. SO I was ready to ditch my uterus.. but doc says no. She says because there are many possible complications to a hysterectomy.. that it is not the simple surgery most think it is.

That said, if you are set on hysterctomy only.. find another dr. You can find one who will do it, just make sure they have done a lot of them and you have checked them out. An unexperienced dr. can screw you up bad with a hyster.

But ask about the ablation for sure!

CC
Unread 11-19-2008, 08:00 PM

I am also 27 and bleed 50% of the time. Nothing has worked at all, except an ablation which only helped for a year. No cause for the pain or excessive bleeding has ever been found, even after exploratory surgery. It is very difficult to find a doctor willing to do a hysterectomy on a young person. I've gone through many gynecologists, some for a short time, some for a long time. I had given up after six years when my primary care physician finally referred me to a sympathetic doctor. I don't think it's a gender issue though. My current doctor is male. I've had worse problems with the female gynecologists I've seen. My situation is different from yours in that I don't have children and I don't want them. I've run into this attitude among female gynecologists of "but your fertility is such a wonderful gift, how could you think of getting rid of it! What if you change your mind!" I had one female gynecologist who told me it was against her morals to do any procedure that would sterilize a young woman, even one who begged for it and has serious medical reasons for wanting to avoid pregnancy as well as not wanting kids.
I've also had issues of female gynecologists being rough with pelvic exams, even, I suspect, of deliberately hurting me-or just assuming all women can tolerate the level of pressure/size of speculum, etc. that they can and then reacting with disgust and contempt when it hurt me. Male gynecologists as a rule have been far more careful with the exams, if not always more sympathetic to my views.
If they don't want to do this because of concerns about sterilization they won't want to do an ablation either, or so I found. Sorry I don't have better news, but the best would be keep looking for another doctor.
Unread 11-20-2008, 03:22 AM

Thanks for your replies girls..

An ablation is on the cards as an option, ive been an ablation discussion board latley & it certainly has some interesting reading & information...

I wish it were as simple as taking a birth control pill each month... they make me very sick & give me high blood pressure. I cant tolerate any estrogen based forms of contraception/medication.

I will be discussing all this more in a few weeks at the next appointment with the GYN/OB.

I agree with your points bout this not being a gender based thing i guess the Drs ive come across so far have been uncaring males who just seem to want a quick dollar whereas the one female Dr ive talked too has been great very understating and sympathetic.

Thanks for reading

Edited to ad- In 2005 I had 2 fibroids discovered on ultrasound, which disappeared when my daughter was born by caesarian section later that year OB was amazed. Maybe they are back?? Will find out having another scan on Friday this week

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.