HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

Driving after vaginal hysterectomy Driving after vaginal hysterectomy

Unread 08-16-2001, 08:30 AM
Driving after vaginal hysterectomy

I will have a TVH on Sept. 13th and forgot to ask my doctor how long before I can drive afterwards. Will someone write back and tell me what their doctor has told them?

Thanks.
Unread 08-16-2001, 08:37 AM
driving after hyst

Carol...

Hello

I am 10 weeks post TAH/BSO. My hyst was abdominal, not vaginal. My said to wait 2 weeks and until I was pain free. I did not really begin driving until 3 weeks and it was just very short distances in town.

Please be sure to ask your doctor before your surgery so you know what he/she wants you to do.

Hope your surgery and recovery goes very well. Please be sure to let us know how you are doing and if you have any other questions.

's
Unread 08-16-2001, 10:39 AM
vaginal ..

hi! i had my surgery vaginally. i had to wait until my six week checkup because i had alot of problems. but i,d say it would of been pretty close to the six week checkup or until you felt you coul drive. i had my 2 week checkup and my dr. said no driving for a few weeks, but i drove that next day, because my kids needed me for school. i wish i never went to driving that soon. so be careful! and don,t try to get into a van like i did.
Unread 08-16-2001, 10:44 AM

Hi there!

My doctor released me to drive at 3 weeks, but my AUTO INSURANCE company said they wouldn't cover me until 4 weeks after being under general anesthesia. You may want to check and make sure you are covered!

Also, once you are released to drive, you should go to an empty street or parking lot, and try SLAMMING on the brakes. That's the thing that can cause the most problems. Mainly because it can HURT! Think about it this way - what if a small child darts in front of your car, you go to hit the brakes, it HURTS, so you involuntarily don't hit them as hard as you should ... NOT pleasant to think about the possibilities. So I would definitely recommend making sure you can brake hard if you need to.

Good luck!
Unread 08-16-2001, 10:56 AM
Driving after TVH

I had a sheet of post-op instructions from my doctor, it stated no driving until after 3 weeks, but my husband didn't let me drive til after 4 weeks. I am glad I waited til after the 4 weeks because my brain was still foggy from the anesthesia.

TVH - kept ovaries
Unread 08-16-2001, 11:58 AM

Hi,

I am two and a half weeks post op and my doctor gave me the clear at two weeks. I drove for the first time yesterday and I have to admit, it was easier than being a passenger. I think it is because you can feel the bumps and hold on to the steering wheel. I did hear something about insurance companies not covering you right away. Everyone is different and heal differently. I have not taken any pain meds, just Motrin, since 5 days after surgery, but if you are still on anything that alters your quickness and makes you drowsy, it probably would be a good idea to wait. Best thing to do is call your doctor, but I know that reading these threads are the best support system, because we have all gone through it or just about to.

Good luck with your surgery!!! You will feel so much better very soon.

Kathi 7-31-01 TVH, kept ovaries
Unread 08-16-2001, 02:53 PM

My doctor released me to drive after two weeks (TVH). I did sneak out and dropped some movies off before my two weeks. I, too, had rather drive myself than ride with my 17 year old daughter. She seems to hit every bump and pothole in the road. I feel O-K in the morning and this is when I drive; by the evening, I would not think about getting behind the wheel.
Best Wishes,

Skygirl
Unread 08-16-2001, 07:16 PM

I had my TVH 8 weeks ago. Dr. said no driving for 2 weeks. I did drive though before my two weeks were up, but it was just to follow my DH home with a tractor. I wouldn't have done it if there was another person who could've helped him get it home.
Unread 08-16-2001, 07:31 PM

hi... my dr. told me as soon as i could hit the brake and clutch with no pain, and it was less then 2 weeks for me. i did want to say that i have been employed as an auto insurance claims adjuster for 17 years and never, ever once, in investigating a claim to pay have i or anyone i worked with ever even asked anyone if they had been on anesthesia prior to an accident even for one day or 3-4 weeks and i have never seen a claim denied for that reason.

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.