HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hormone Issues (HRT - No HRT) > Hormone and Menopause Central

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

Does Progesterone cause cancer? Does Progesterone cause cancer?

Unread 11-20-2008, 12:39 PM
Does Progesterone cause cancer?

I'm trying to find out more information on progesterone.

I was diagnosed with simple hyperplasia without atypia.
I was told that this is a benign condition and it only progresses to cancer in a small percentage of people. My gyn doc wants to give me progesterone for 3 months to get rid of the hyperplasia. I read that progesterone caused tumors in rats and its not known if it causes tumors in humans.
So my delema is this - What is more detrimental to my health? Living with a condition that may or may not progress to cancer, or taking progesterone which may cause cancer? At this point I'm thinking I should just tell my doc to give my a hysterectomy and take everything out.
Unread 11-20-2008, 02:35 PM
Progesterone and cancer

I had the same thing as you and after reading Dr John Lees book "What your doctor won't tell you about menopause" I elected to use the natural progesterone cream. I used the Kokoro Natural Balance cream one of the ones recommended by Dr Lee. Within 5 days the bleeding stopped and has never started again. After three months I returned to the doctor and there was no trace of hyperplasia again. The natural progesterone cream is totally safe and is said to prevent breast cancer and uterine cancer. Many women with hyperplasia have been cured and have never developed cancer using it. The synthetic progesterone that your doctor may prescribe has been known to cause cancer because your body cannot synthesize it.

I feel I've been very fortunate to find a natural cure for this condition. Dr Lees website http://www.johnleemd.com/
Unread 11-20-2008, 03:41 PM

Thanks for your reply. I'm leary about using any kind of progesterone. I feel that the root of the problem may be too much estrogen. Doesn't it make sense to find out why there is too much estrogen and fix that problem, rather than overloading my body with progesterone which can potentially cause cancer in itself?
I'd like to hear from other people who had simple hyperplasia without atypia and what they did about it.......?
Unread 11-20-2008, 04:02 PM
Progesterone and Cancer

From what Ive learned estrogen dominance is caused mainly by the western diet and hormones that are injected in our meat and dairy. Also plastics and drinking water and other environmental practices. If you can eat only organic fruit and vegies, grains, hardly any sugar, no meat and dairy and no soy or coffee which are phytoestrogens you probably won't need progesterone.
Other causes.

# Birth control pills
# Hormone replacement therapy
# Menopause hormone levels change
# Premenopause and lack of ovulation
# Hysterectomy and/or removal or dysfunction of the ovaries
# Post menopause (especially in women who are over weight)
# Exposure to xenoestrogens (eg. plastics, chemicals)
# Certain lifestyle choices and conditions can also contribute to estrogen dominance syndrome, especially a low-fibre diet, overloading the liver and toxins from the environment, and stress.
# Phytoestrogens

Good luck with that. Like I said there is no proof that natural progesterone causes cancer, its mostly too much estrogen that is related to cancer.
Unread 11-20-2008, 05:18 PM

Here's what I found on up-to-date.com. It's one of the resources that doctors use themselves.

"Although the efficacy of progestins for reversing endometrial hyperplasia is proven, whether endometrial hyperplasia without atypia needs to be treated and whether endometrial cancer can be prevented in patients who discontinue therapy is controversial."
Unread 11-20-2008, 06:46 PM

(((Rachel))) there is a BIG difference between synthetic progestins and natural progesterone. Which one is your DR prescribing? Synthetic progestins, used long-term, can increase your likelihood of getting breast cancer. Natural progesterone does not.

s,
-Linda
Unread 11-21-2008, 02:39 PM

Where are you getting your information from? Send me those links where you found that information. I'd like to read up on it.
Unread 11-21-2008, 04:25 PM
Progesterone and Cancer

Rachel,

I am in Canada. The link I order my progesterone cream from is <Oops! Sorry, commercial links aren't allowed on the message boards. Please share the link privately using the e-mail or PM feature>. This is the website where I got the information from plus Dr Lees book
"What your doctor won't tell you about Menopause" has information on hormones in meat and dairy etc.

I'm sure there is alot of information on natural progesterone cream on the internet. Dr Lee does not recommend using progestin because it is synthetic and will not be synthesized properly by the body, so in most cases will not help the condition.

Hope this is helpful to you.
Unread 11-12-2009, 10:08 AM
Re: Does Progesterone cause cancer?

I tried progestin pills for a 3 month trial to ebate hyperplasia and it failed. I ended up having a hysterectomy. DR

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.