HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysteritaville - Wellness Post Hysterectomy > HysterSisters Club House > Women Who Run

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

Running with a 9cm X 11cm fibroid Running with a 9cm X 11cm fibroid

Unread 11-20-2008, 01:33 PM
Running with a 9cm X 11cm fibroid

Hi,
I've been on the other forums, mainly the hysterectomy options one... and sooo happy to have stumbled across the "women that run".

I have been a runner for so long, it is my stress reliever, my prayer time. I'm not a marathoner.. that's for sure (although that is a goal) and I only average about 15 miles per week, I love to run 5ks... but mostly, I just love the feeling and sound of my feet hitting the pavement.

Unfortunately, I started noticing blood in my urine about a year ago, followed by horrible pain, diarreah, you name it. The pain has progressed and I had a lot of tests that finally revealed that I have a very large fibroid. It is growing very fast and causes so much pain. It is 11cm in width and 9cm in height.. I'm 5'5' and 126lbs, 44 years old... you can actually see it poking out when I lie down. It is putting a great deal of pressure on my bladder. I've tried to keep healthy by running, aerobics... now it is painful to do anything. I only run about 6 miles a week now... and I have pain the entire time and I have to follow up with a pain pill, but running is keeping me sane. I honestly get depressed when I don't, despite the pain.

I am going through all of my 1st, 2nd and 3rd opinions for hysterectomies, or just myoectomy. My sister had Ovarian Cancer, so I meet with an oncologist December 2nd to discuss my risks.. and where to go. I am terrified... as I've shared in the other forums. I've been told my days of running will be over if I have a hysterecotomy. Of all the gynos I've seen, my 3rd opinion seems to be what I may go with ... a davinci robotic hyst., leaving my cervix. It can't be vaginally due to the size and location of the fibroid.

I've heard the most horrible stories (not from this site) about running after a hyst: my bladder will fall out, I'll gain too much weight and won't be able to, I'll be too tired all the time... I'm afraid to do anything...and I'm afraid to do nothing.

My questions to others runners are:
- are any of these things true? what has been your experiences?
- should I continue to run with this fibroid laying on my bladder? will I do any damage?

Thank you!!!
Unread 12-08-2008, 08:46 AM

well... I didn't get any response. But, that's okay. I've read through almost all of the post op running responses and have some good information to go with. I still don't know what I'm going to do, but this forum has helped me see that there are women running that have had hysterectomies.... and it's not like the information you find on other forums (like HERS... they scared me to death).

Have a blessed day!
Unread 12-08-2008, 08:59 AM

Hi

I am sorry you did not get a response! Sometimes the forums that aren't pre or post op just don' get as much traffic it seems.

I never had a fibroid, but I did have a total hyst in Oct 2007. I can tell you that you should have no problem running again after the hyst once you are fully recovered. Follow all the doctor's advice and let yourself completely heal. It took me about 12 weeks honestly to feel better but, a year after and I feel great. I bet you will be feeling so much better without that fibroid you will run like the wind!

If they do advise you to go total and have uterus and ovaries removed please don't let it scare you. It will take some recovery but you will be right as rain in time, and you can get back to your old self. The tiredness goes away, your bladder will not fall out, and if you watch what you eat and remain active after recovery your weight will be fine.

Good Luck!
Unread 12-08-2008, 09:05 AM

Thank you!! It's so good to hear encouragement.

My oncologist appt. was rescheduled for tomorrow... I guess I'll know after that what I'll have to do.

Thanks again!
Unread 12-08-2008, 11:20 AM

I had to give up running because of knee problems. I totally understand why this is a big consideration for you. Hope everything goes great for you. You will be glad to get rid of the fibroid. They are so uncomfortable.
Unread 12-14-2008, 01:39 PM

Hi there,

I had a SAH in April to remove a 9 cm fibroid. The hope was that it was the cause of some miserable back pain I've had for 3 years. Turns out it wasn't, but life goes on! In some ways, surgery was harder than I thought it would be, and in some ways it was easier. Being in shape I think definitely helped in my recovery, but I guess I naively thought I'd be running around 6 weeks post-surgery. Nope, not quite! I can only speak for myself... but getting back to feeling like "me" took a while. I started swimming 6 weeks post-surgery, and running a bit. In June, I ran up to 9K, July up to 12K, August I squeeked out up to 16K, Sept I perfected 16K every weekend, and in October I built up to 20K. I ran a half in November and it was HARD. Mind you, I had the flu but it was still hard. And probably not the wisest decision I've ever made to run it, but it was my own personal win. The sloshy feeling in my tummy lasted for about 3 months, and yup.... I was pooped and still am. A lot. I'm also way slower with the same effort. BUT... my bladder is where I left it and I am running :-) I ran 14K this morning, and it was lovely outside! And I now swim like a fish :-)

All in all, it took about 7 months to feel almost normal for me. The best advice I can give you is to listen to your body and try to be patient. It takes time, it was hard for me to get back at it and I think having to be patient with oneself truly sucks, but little by little it gets better. The first time I made it down the stairs after surgery, I signed up for a Fall marathon. That was just silliness for me (I ended up deferring). I did do the 10K at the same race, happy to be out there participating, enjoying the victory of having made it that far, and running with a wonderful friend made it the best day ever.

Take care and all the best!!

H
Unread 12-15-2008, 06:55 AM

Hi Happy8,
What is a SAH? Are you taking hormones? if so, did they help? I was told I could start with an estrogen patch..... I had my oncologist appt. and he said with my family history, he recommended a complete LAVH. I'm still unsure.
Unread 12-15-2008, 08:09 AM

Hi Ziggy,

I had an abdominal hysterectormy, kept my cervix and ovaries. So, I've got a lovely 8 inch or so horizonal scar across the bottom of my tummy, and my tummy was swollen and it hurt for many many months. I'm not taking any hormones, so sorry I can't help with that. My biggest problem by far was nausea. That was awful! And I'm still colder than I've ever been, and I used to be a walking furnace. Hopefully, someone here can help you with hormone questions.

I hope you're feeling o.k. It is a hard decision to make. The more questions, answers, and support you get, the better you'll feel!

Take care,
Happy
Unread 01-02-2009, 05:10 AM
Maybe doing core excersize will help keep you bladder in place so you can continue ru

[i]Sometimes we have to make changes in our life's because we get older, and I hope you will still be able to run if you love it, but don't forget about doing core excersises maybe that will help you bladder and other parts stay in place you can ask the doc. Let me know what he say's.
Unread 01-02-2009, 07:30 AM

For right now, I've decided to put the surgery on hold. I still don't feel 100% comfortable with a decision yet. I did run a 5k new years eve run and I cramped a little afterward, but not as bad as it had been. weird. The Dr. will continue to monitor the fibroid and I'll go from there I guess. As far as core exercises... I do those everyday, unfortunately there is only so much to do with a large fibroid laying on my bladder. I just have to deal with that as best as possible. I make sure I wear a pad when I run, but there doesn't seem to be much else exercise wise I can do until the fibroid shrinks or is removed. I know my obgyn will not be happy with my decision, but it's what I am happy with for now.... next month may be different. Hopefully continuing to run with this thing isn't doing damage....

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.