HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. Join us today!

After removal of uterus After removal of uterus

Unread 11-23-2008, 10:37 AM
After removal of uterus

Is it possible to have a period after the removal of only the uterus or will this procedure alone stop the periods?
Unread 11-23-2008, 11:08 AM
After removal of uterus

As explained to me by my GYN: If you have your uterus and cervix removed, you will not bleed anymore. The cervix is part of the uterus. If you keep your cervix or even part of your cervix, you may experience "mini" periods.
Unread 11-23-2008, 11:20 AM
After removal of uterus

2shaeffers

The majority of ladies will not experience any further bleeding after the uterus is removed. Cyclical bleeding (or mini-periods) is only possible if the cervix and the ovaries are kept. But the usual procedure is to cauterise the cervix which prevents this for most ladies.

You're very early post-op and a certain amount of bleeding is normal during the recovery period. Is this why you're asking? It would help us enormously (when replying to any concerns) if you could complete your Member Survey since this includes information such as why you had surgery, what type/which procedure and whether or not you kept your ovaries, etc. You can do that by clicking HERE.

Sending all good wishes!

Unread 11-23-2008, 11:42 AM
After removal of uterus

Thank you for your input. I am only asking because I am getting conflicting info on the subject. I have not had my post op appointment with my doctor but according to the nurses, i only had my uterus removed. I had a LAVH. I do intend to discuss it with my doctor again but I will have an answer more than likely before that date as my cycle will be due before that. Thanks again.
Unread 11-23-2008, 11:51 AM
After removal of uterus

its possible to have a mini period if you kept your cervix and ovaries..but they are not common. since you had an lavh, your cervix was removed so you wont have any bleeding.
Unread 11-23-2008, 12:06 PM
After removal of uterus

Hi again!

As ((dressedupinblue)) says ~ if you had an LAVH then the very nature of that surgery (vaginal hysterectomy) means that the cervix was removed also.

I hope this helps ease your concerns.

Unread 11-23-2008, 12:22 PM
After removal of uterus

Thank you. That is what I thought about the vaginal hysterectomy but was confused by the nurses saying only the uterus was removed. I only have three tiny incisions that only required steri-strips to close so i know it was done LAVH. Thanks for your input.

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.

Summer Fun Giveaway