HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   HysterSisters Hysterectomy > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) > Hints from Members

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. Join us today!

Closed Thread

Preparing to get bowels moving post surgery & other hints Preparing to get bowels moving post surgery & other hints

Unread 11-29-2008, 01:53 PM
Preparing to get bowels moving post surgery & other hints

You hear about needing stool softeners at home post surgery but that may not be enough. Anesthesia and pain killers slow down the functioning of the bowels (so my dr and nurses told me post surgery) and since I was a surgery newbie I didn't know what to expect.

I had stool softeners at home (dulcolax & a phillips product), dr. prescribed colasce (and they gave that to me in the hospital) but pharmacist confirmed my over the counters and colasce contained the same ingredients so kept my over the counters and took them at the dr's orders.

I also had single packs of Metamucil that I took per the instructions on the package 3 times a day (I used slightly warmed water because it clumped less and that seemed to stimulate my bowels).

Per my mom and this site, I added prunes for good measure, eating them a couple times a day and drinking the juice.

I also started eating Activia w/ some granola for fiber in it. I've used Activia for other digestive issues and to get good bacteria back in my system. Due to a colonoscopy on the Thursday before my surgery I got cleaned out twice in 5 days so I wanted to get some of the good stuff back in there.

My surgery was on a Monday, they released me on Tuesday because they heard abdominal sounds, Weds night had a little gas, Thursday night and Friday morning a little more gas. Friday afternoon I had to help the first movement just a little but since than things have been moving along.

Unrelated to the bowel prep for my stay in the hospital I took headphones, CD & relaxation CDs, although they didn't drown out the sound of the machine running the boots that help your leg circulation they did allow me to relax and doze a little bit. Also I asked for no visitors except 1 close friend on my first night (so she could spell my DH so he could get dinner). Also took soft eye mask and put eucalyptus and a different time lavendar lotion on edges for soothing scents.

TaurusLady
LAVH - BSO - da Vinci 11/24/2008
Closed Thread

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.