HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Community - HysterSisters > Monthly Poll (and occasional Contest!)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

View Poll Results: Did you get a second opinion from another surgeon before scheduling your hysterectomy
Yes, I got a second opinion and it helped give me additional options 1,103 20.08%
Yes, I got a second opinion but it didn't really matter in the long run 1,239 22.56%
No, I didn't get a second opinion 2,886 52.54%
I didn't have time to get a second opinion. My hysterectomy was an emergency 265 4.82%
Voters: 5493. You may not vote on this poll

Did you get a second opinion? Did you get a second opinion?

Unread 12-02-2008, 06:07 PM
Red face - Did you get a second opinion? Didn't get a second opinion!

My OBGYN was monitoring my bladder falling for over a year and just one day it did fall into my vagina. Scheduled the surgery 1 month later.

I was going in for a cystecele repair and my uterus was removed as part of the repair, because it was pushing down on my bladder causing the cystecele. My surgery was done vaginally.

I have had nothing but trouble since. Seems all my pelvic organs are falling now.

I was 49 when I had my first procedure, developed a bad infection and rejection of the mesh. Had two more surgeries 1 year later to remove the mesh and infections. Still not right. Just got done with physical therapy to relieve right side spasms.
Unread 12-02-2008, 06:35 PM
Did you get a second opinion?

I am happy that you were able to do your's lap. That was out of the question for me as I have a bleeding disorder where I don't produce platelets and I was also anemic, so they had to have full access in case of internal bleeding. As it was, I ended up having to have 6 iron infusions over the next 8 weeks and that was not easy. I also had to have platelets before the surgery and during the surgery. My docs usually only do the laps or vaginal, but in my case, the risks were too great. I ended up having my ovaries drained once through lap- and my recovery was worse as I ended up with pockets of blood from the lap that would have been seen if hey had gone traditional.
Unread 12-02-2008, 06:40 PM

I didn't bother with a second opinion. Had told my gyn that I couldn't stand my periods anymore, we had to do something. We tried an outpatient ablation that wouldn't position in my uterus. So my options were to try in the OR (which still probably wouldn't work) or hysterectomy, which is where we'd probably end up.

I scheduled the surgery for 10 days later.....that's over 4 months ago and I'm THRILLED! Actually have all kinds of energy and can do things again, because I'm not so anemic. Even at 53, Dr thought I had 2-5 years before menopause and that was just too long to be like that.
Unread 12-02-2008, 07:54 PM
Smile - Did you get a second opinion? Did you get a second opinion?

No, I did not get a second opinion. I am 65 years old and already had a biopsy and knew that there were cancerous cells in one of the polyps in the uterus. I might ad that I had a pelvic ultrasound done because my family physician suggested it because i told him that only twice in one evenig did I have a strand of blood each time when I urinated and knew it was vaginal. Decided to go and tell him that about two months later. I asked him if I should get a second opinion and said that he did not think that there was a medical school today that would suggest a Gyno or a surgeon not do a total hysterectomy knowing cancer was present.. So, I continued with my Gyno who did the surgery. No cancer anywhere else. Frozen section done in the OR and cat scans done before the surgery. Cancer free, thank God I decided to go and tell him because I really didn't think there was anything wrong. I am so thankful that it bugged me and I went to the dr. Thanks!!
Unread 12-02-2008, 09:03 PM

I had a D&C after the initial endometrial biopsy to make sure we were really dealing with cancer. I knew from my research that the overwhelmingly usual treatment is hysterectomy. My surgeon also gave me the option of doing hormones, but it would have to be for life (or until I had the hysterectomy which i would eventually have to have), and given that I was alreay at least perimenopausal, it didn't make sense.

The extra time gave me a chance to discover that I didn't really like taking the progesterone and worrying about cancer spread was much too stressful for me. I was also getting tired of the oddball bleeding and weird pains. It went on long enough and once I knew all my options I went in without any regrets.
Unread 12-02-2008, 09:31 PM
Did You Get A Second Opinion

I didn't get a second opinion. I knew my gyn well and felt he was up to date. He didn't push it, offered menstrual suppression via continuous HRT as an option. I had done that before, didn't want to continue it for another few years. I took it as an short term fix till I could arrange time off for surgery. I had done my research and knew the choices. I had already been through all the other treatments and an endometrial ablation and was still having severe pain and bleeding - with regular periods at 51, no less.

If he had only offered me a TAH, I definitely would have gotten a second opinion. I had the choice of an LAVH and LSH and chose LAVH since I have had 2 episodes of cervical dysplasia and just want to be done.

I did talk to my internist - maybe that was a second opinion. She said either a hyst or menstrual suppression would be reasonable choices at my age and it was strictly my preference.

Of course I'm not done yet - I'm not having surgery till next week!

Kathy
Unread 12-02-2008, 11:03 PM

When my woman's health nurse practitioner gave me the results of my endometrial biopsy, and it was cancer, I went into overdrive. I was not satisfied with using a local gyno. I sought out a gynocological oncologist in a larger town, the closest one with this kind of a doc. The first one I went to was horrible and discriminitory and sent me home with a scrip and the order to loose 50 lbs. The second one I went to was kind, and confident and waited for me to get dressed and met with me in a conference room and 9 days later I had my hysterectomy. They took my uterus, cervix and both ovaries. They caught the cancer very very early and I most likely will not need any more treatment. I am so very very glad that I educated myself and sought that second opinion! It made so much of a difference in my life! HTH
God bless you and yours
Deb
Unread 12-03-2008, 04:41 AM

I too had a second and third opinion. I had a total robotic hyst/bso/appy. I had many different opinions as to what route to take. My final and third opinion was a very skilled gyn/onc who made me realize this would nevver get better and would only get worse. I didn't want to be going through major surgery 10yrs from now. So I had it all out and am doing really well. HRT needs a little tweaking, but so far so good....
Unread 12-03-2008, 09:55 AM
second opinion survey

No I did not get a second opinion. However I did take several months to decide. My doctor first recommended it in June. I thought she was a little radical. I researched my options, meanwhile taking Iron supplements, which went in one way and just came out the other every month while absolutely flooding my clothes, my bed, and my car seat as well as being confined to my house or bathroom for 2 days every month.Generally feeling very tired and at one point I even started to use disposable underwear. My periods lasted almost 2 weeks and it wasn't good for our intimate life either. Unfair to my husband. Finally in November while talking to my doctor on the phone, I asked her about it and her words were "You have a poor quality of life,and a very unhealthy uterus." Being that i find her to be a woman of few words, but a very experienced and smart doctor, I listened. My husband also said I was "suffering." I did not see it that way, but I did stop and think about that and he was right. I am 52 years old and have 4 children, so why not. I did not want the inconvenience of it, but those horrible floods were the inconvenience. I had the supracervical partial hyst on Jan24 '08. I have no regrets. I wish my doctor would be more forthcoming with info and explain things better but I am learning to deal with her. I don't know why but I care for her alot.
Unread 12-03-2008, 10:05 AM

I want to add that although my doctor doesn't always explain the way I would like, she always stops, looks at me, and totally listens. I know some may not like her. but we do have a good repoire. She gets a little friendlier every time I see her. Her office staff and nurses are wonderful.

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.